Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Mods, feel free to move, merge, remove etc... Apologies if duplicating but I couldn't find anything via the search before creating this post.

First time poster, 7 year SV gen 1 owner. I've been watching in the background, learning the ropes from a mechanical sense over the years.
I've had my bike in 100's of different pieces on the floor of my shed over and over, each time going a little further into the strip down and repair/mod as my confidence has built.

What I'd love to be able to do is mod my bike so it's a scrambler 'mad max' type of build.
stripped down, industrial look. You know the type: little pikey guttural exhaust, knobbly scrambler tyres, no fairing, custom cut down rear seat with bench type padding, front fork boots, single headlight.

The problem is confidence... As it stands I'm very happy and comfortable to work on any aspect of my bike, except the engine... I\d give a removal a bash but when it comes to rebuilding carbs etc.. then I'd be bringing it to a mechanic.
Although, the above mod that I'm talking about isn't really mechanical, it's cosmetic...

So, with all that rambling behind me I'm looking for a few things, that you lovely SV'ers might be able to help me with the following:
  1. Any and all video or similar of builds addressing the above
  2. advice and pitfalls to avoid
  3. suggestions on what to do / what not to do
  4. anything else that's relevant
The below image is the type fo look I'd be aiming for....

So, thanks to all for reading this far and looking forward to hearing any and all support / suggestions.
I'd be more than willing to document it all if I decide to go ahead with the build.

·
Super Moderator
8,304 Posts
this will be relevant to your interests

but really, madmax/ratbike? start by dropping it a dozen times and backing a truck over it. then proceed to just fix what it needs to be rideable. pour some muriatic acid all over it so it rusts a lot.
maybe set it on fire.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I like to be able to remove any mods I've done and return a vehicle to stock if possible, so keeping that in mind, I'd maybe pick up a spare subframe to modify or try to fab my own if I were to go with that style seat.

As far as the headlight and handlebars goes, I'm guessing you have an SV650S, so you'll need to either drill your top triple for bar clamps or swap triples with an N model. Then add your headlight of choice with 41mm fork clamps.

Careful to get fork gaiters that give your forks room to compress. The ones in the link you posted don't look like there's any room for the suspension travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to be able to remove any mods I've done and return a vehicle to stock if possible, so keeping that in mind, I'd maybe pick up a spare subframe to modify or try to fab my own if I were to go with that style seat.

As far as the headlight and handlebars goes, I'm guessing you have an SV650S, so you'll need to either drill your top triple for bar clamps or swap triples with an N model. Then add your headlight of choice with 41mm fork clamps.

Careful to get fork gaiters that give your forks room to compress. The ones in the link you posted don't look like there's any room for the suspension travel.
Awesome. Good idea regarding the sub frame. I might pick up a tail end and work on modding it while the stock version is on my bike.
Yes, it's an 'S' faired version. So I need to change the top triple..? I thought it was a case of removing the bracket holding the front nose and dials in place and replacing with a naked version or similar (trail tech etc..), no?

Thanks for the info :)

·
Super Moderator
8,304 Posts
if you want to keep clipons then you keep the S and make up a bracket to hold the trailtech.
if you want tall bars like the bike you posted, you need the N triple

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm just starting a build along those lines myself I might just start a thread tomorrow if there would be a bit of interest in it.

Mocked up progress so far

Have to finish this one first though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did this with my fazer because it was free. Bodge and make what you can. The look you are going for is a trophy rat. Rat style. The sv will lend litself well to the look. I wanted something different so fitted a bandit fairing. My resr panels are just galv steel cut to shape and zip tied on. I have converted or almost finished converting to mechanical speedo drive for a tiny little classic type speedo.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts