Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, ever since I got into watching the Moto GP on TV and went to a night time trackday at the Nashville Super Speedway I have been wanting to get into doing track days. A lot of the guys I talked to at the track day told me to just go and do it and that would be the best way to learn more technique, etc. etc.
But I was wondering about schools for it. I did a quick search online for schools in TN. The one I found most intristing is http://www.edbargyracingschool.com/

Does anyone know anything, had any experiences with, or know any other schools around the TN area?

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
I can't tell you about schools in the TN area but I can tell you, Looshia and I just did Cornerspeed at VIR on Monday and it was by far the best riding training I've ever had. I had done two track days with NESBA prior to this and I learned far more at the school than I ever could have at a track day. I highly recomend taking a school over simply starting to do track days. Uor plans next are to do some track days to re-enforce what we learned and then do Cornerspeed again next year. After all, there's always more you can learn.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
just go out and tell all the squids on their gsxrs that they're chicken... you'll be racing in no time.

[/sarcasm]

seriously though,... good luck!, i wish i had the time for such a venture.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you want to race or do trackdays? Really not the same thing.
Gotta start somewhere, right?!
Other than the more experience riders, winning trophy's, $, fame, etc. for a race and track days being more relaxed and fun what is the big difference?
I was really not trying to be that techinical but please...if I have misspoken, let me know.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
gotta learn to how crawl before you can walk...

trackdays, schools, seat time, THEN, when think your're ready, try a 2-3 hour event..more ride time if nothing else, at speed, with traffic...

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
gotta learn to how crawl before you can walk...

trackdays, schools, seat time, THEN, when think your're ready, try a 2-3 hour event..more ride time if nothing else, at speed, with traffic...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Heather, I would highly recommend taking a school. VIR Cornerspeed is absolutely amazing. And you can get a provisional racing license with their diploma too.

On a side note... Got to go on a 2 up ride with the AMA pro rider...

OMG!!!!

It was the most exhilarating experience of my life.

And I do have a new found respect for the skill, finesse and shape those guys have.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Gotta start somewhere, right?!
Other than the more experience riders, winning trophy's, $, fame, etc. for a race and track days being more relaxed and fun what is the big difference?
I was really not trying to be that techinical but please...if I have misspoken, let me know.
You don't win trackdays. Mindset very different. Not going to go on a rant about it.

Just clarifying as title said "want to race" and post said "..wanting to get into doing track days"

Good luck with whichever direction you go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
trackdays could be called "test and tune."
you pretty much go out there and ride for a session come in while the other 2 groups ride and then you go back out. Its all self gratification. No one will log your times or hand you a trophy at the end of the day. if you make a pass on someone they arent going to battle to get their position back. You will only see them again if they're faster than you somewhere else. you come in make changes, see how things work trying to optimize your speed and skills. people are generally friendly and helpful. there is no real killer instinct, just because there is really no reward for going out and trying to be a hero at a trackday.
racing is, well its a bit different atmosphere. depending on who you race with (i recommend WERA cause thats who i race with and love it) you will get 4 15-20 minute practice sessions over the weekend and your races. though some may kick back and say they're doing it for fun, everyone is there to win. everyone will try their best to win. Sometimes their best is mid pack sometimes their best is upfront. Thats not saying no one is going to be friendly and everyone is out to get you. Because its quite the opposite. 80-90% of people you meet at a race weekend will be happy to chat it up with you when convinient or lend you a 6mm allen wrench ect. And most people in club racing have work to go back to on monday so they generally dont try to stuff pass you just to get by (well at least some of the people that i race with are like that).

i started doing trackdays in 2005, and by my 2nd one I knew that I wanted to race. so i used trackdays as a means of getting into racing. I went out to a trackday every other month or so for a year and a half. bought a dedicated race bike to ride on the track and race in WERA Vintage. Did my first race in July of 2006. I had a lot of help along the way to get where i am now, but everyone pretty much starts out the same.

for now, I'd suggest just going and doing a trackday or two. learning your strengths and weaknesses before you go to a school will allow you to focus on what you need to improve and you'll better be able to utilize what is taught.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I'll echo what others here have said.

Track days typically offer MORE riding instruction than race schools. It's basically non-competitive rider education in a closed-track environment where you can go as fast as you want

Race schools concentrate more on the rules/regs/procedures of racing, thus they can't spend as much time going over riding technique & skills.

Start out by doing some track days.... after a handfull of those you'll know where you stand & you'll have a better idea of whether or not you REALLY want to get into racing. This path worked worked very well for me. I got my start doing track days in '04, began racing in '06 after getting my license with Cornerspeed @ VIR and though only in my 4th year of racing, I've have had a very successful racing carreer thus far.

Hope you have deep pockets, you're getting into an expensive, but amazingly fun hobby :p

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I'll echo what others here have said.

Hope you have deep pockets, you're getting into an expensive, but amazingly fun hobby :p
Speaking of deep pockets...... One of the teams we race with is called Empty Pockets Racing.....

It helps if you like ramen noodles.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Check your local track for deals. I know here in ABQ, NM there is a "free" ione day track event for newcomers. Also, on Craigslist, there are ads for track instruction for about 3 hours for a reasonable price. If you bring more people to the class the price usually goes down also.

I want to hit the track but I only have my 08 SV and I have about another year left of payments (maybe sooner if I limit my modding :p ) I'm to the point now where I feel confident in my street riding and aching to take it to the next level (but only on the track). If I can find a good deal on a bike for track only use I might be there sooner. Definitely keep us update on your impressions once you hit the track.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
I would suggest doing a lot of track days before you consider paying for race instruction... There are two different race instruction...
  • Race Rules... Good to know... But I would not pay for it, until you are ready to get your race licence...
  • Racing Technique, Can not teach a baby how to run if he can not even walk just yet...
I know that parctice does not make perfect... Perfect practice will make perfect...

It is a good idea to learn technique early on... But, if you have to pay most of your attention your braking ability, to your lines, to your lean agles, etc... You will not have any attention left to learn and practice new instructions...

Once you have some experience, and are at easy with your bike at speed on the track... You will be able to learn much more on a Race Technique School as you can pay more attention to your race training.

The big difference between trackdays and racing is that racing is 100%competitive... Trackdays are like practice runs so you can learn your lines. In racing all bets are off... The rider on front follows his fast line all riders behind must change their best line to outbrake in a corner, in hopes of passing and blocking. It is very hard to pass with power, specially for the SV650. Your ability to out brake and carry corner speed is where you shave seconds. The sooner that you get on the gas the faster you come out off the corner and you will carry all that speed untill your brake point for the next corner.

Practice, develop a trust relationship with your bike, and seek the advise of faster riders... They will teach you until you become competitive ;D

Hang around the guys who organize trackdays, soon you may find yourself in a possition where could get low cost and even free trackdays. Hand around your local race shop, soon you will start to get deals on service, equipment and tires...

Good luck and keep us posted!!! Luis

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I would suggest doing a lot of track days before you consider paying for race instruction... There are two different race instruction...
  • Race Rules... Good to know... But I would not pay for it, until you are ready to get your race licence...
  • Racing Technique, Can not teach a baby how to run if he can not even walk just yet...
I know that parctice does not make perfect... Perfect practice will make perfect...

It is a good idea to learn technique early on... But, if you have to pay most of your attention your braking ability, to your lines, to your lean agles, etc... You will not have any attention left to learn and practice new instructions...

Once you have some experience, and are at easy with your bike at speed on the track... You will be able to learn much more on a Race Technique School as you can pay more attention to your race training.

The big difference between trackdays and racing is that racing is 100%competitive... Trackdays are like practice runs so you can learn your lines. In racing all bets are off... The rider on front follows his fast line all riders behind must change their best line to outbrake in a corner, in hopes of passing and blocking. It is very hard to pass with power, specially for the SV650. Your ability to out brake and carry corner speed is where you shave seconds. The sooner that you get on the gas the faster you come out off the corner and you will carry all that speed untill your brake point for the next corner.

Practice, develop a trust relationship with your bike, and seek the advise of faster riders... They will teach you until you become competitive ;D

Hang around the guys who organize trackdays, soon you may find yourself in a possition where could get low cost and even free trackdays. Hand around your local race shop, soon you will start to get deals on service, equipment and tires...

Good luck and keep us posted!!! Luis
If there's one thing that I have learned in 24+ years of racing, It's that starting with good fundamentals is better than having to unlearn bad habits. There is no substituite for track time, but going out and repeating bad technique (due to a lack of instruction) is a waste of time and money.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts