Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Definitely important to have to avoid stripping a number of important fasteners (headlight, brake fluid reservoir cover, etc .). Don't ask me how I know.

I'd also add to invest in a set of quality Allen keys. The cheap ones I've been using do not fit 100% and will strip out the bolts after only a few uses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely important to have to avoid stripping a number of important fasteners (headlight, brake fluid reservoir cover, etc .). Don't ask me how I know.

I'd also add to invest in a set of quality Allen keys. The cheap ones I've been using do not fit 100% and will strip out the bolts after only a few uses.

Allen keys come in two sizes, metric and imperial 🙃 learnt the hard way on that too

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
Great video, Bikerchicken. (y)

Nothing like the right tool for the job.

And as Bklyn, said, invest in quality tools. Especially ones where fit and the quality of the material matters, like screwdrivers and Allen keys. Soft metal or slightly off-size makes a big difference.

And tools also wear over time. Wear doesn't much affect a hammer but makes a big difference with drivers. I have a set of old 3/8 drive allens that were high quality years ago but are total junk now as they are too worn.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
If you add a dab of valve lapping compound to your allen keys/bits/sockets and always make sure they are fully seated (clean out the bolt head), you can avoid a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video, Bikerchicken. (y)

Nothing like the right tool for the job.

And as Bklyn, said, invest in quality tools. Especially ones where fit and the quality of the material matters, like screwdrivers and Allen keys. Soft metal or slightly off-size makes a big difference.

And tools also wear over time. Wear doesn't much affect a hammer but makes a big difference with drivers. I have a set of old 3/8 drive allens that were high quality years ago but are total junk now as they are too worn.
Didn't know they could wear out so fast! Good to know!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Another old trick is to place a rubber band on a chewed Cross-point head as it lets the driver dig into the screw and give it more grip after a good soaking with Penetrating oil like,"Plus-Gas". Off course as per the thread the right tool for the job is the way forward :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jeez this is why I strip so many!!! Just stripped the bolts on my stock bar weight ends. Good thing I found some bolts that fit in Lowe's otherwise would have had to purchase new ones. Great video. I never knew this. We are learning together B. Chicken!!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Another great tool is an impact driver. It has a spring loaded cam inside it and you strike it with a hammer. When you hit it, the impact keeps the bit from slipping out of the fastener and the cam cracks the fastener loose with the shock.

I have a Snap-on, but most people don't need such an expensive version.

Something like this would do:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts