Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I too became statistics, first crash

hi, long time lurker. Finally registered and this isn't the best way to introduce myself.

I had my first accident today of two years riding. Low sided on a left turn at an intersection. it was a truck route, surface wasnt the best. was going around 25 miles maybe less. It happened so fast. The bike didn't give me any signal, it just went down. I don't even know what to tell you guys. The bike then slid to the curb, tank took the hit. I got up right away.

A guy stopped to help me to pick up the bike. He even stayed until my friend came. very nice guy. someone must had called the police. Cop showed up, checked my papers, wrote report. To add salt to the wound. cited me for expired registration. Why we always forgot to renew our registration? Was gonna visit my uncle. Ended up he came to pick up the bike and me with his truck.

I survived, Fully leathered, tourmaster jacket and REVIT pants zipped together. forcefield sub4 back protector, taichi gp gloves, and revit riding boots. HJC helmet didn't hit the ground.

I think I am fine, except my left shoulder is painful. I can move it and all, just couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder. Will go check it out on Monday.

Damage to the bike. all on the left side.
apex left clip on snapped off from riser.
shorty cluth lever tip snapped off.
motorslider ground down
swing arm slider ground down.
Tank has dent size of California.
rear tail rash left side.
bent shifter rod.
bent left rear set.
bent svracingparts riser plate

While leather protected me from road rash, The sliders did a great job keeping the damage of the bike to the minimum.

I am just glad that I am relatively okay. my riding season is over for the year i suppose.

Now, Since the police had written a report. I am thinking to call insurance in just a moment. The bike is fully insured. It's a 2003 Naked with gsxr front end swap. I have never done this before. What do I tell them? what are they gonna do? Will they total it? will they fix it?
If they total the bike, will gsxr front end and other parts add value to the bike?

Should I not file claim just fix it myself? I now have an accident on my driving record? My premium gonna go up?

Thanks for read and helping out. Ride safe guys.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Pfft, get back up and keep riding ;p I lowsided on my way to work at similar speed on an offramp. Slid for maybe 20 feet, though I didn't hit anything solid. Picked it up, and continued on to work. Both brake levers were bent and ground down a bit, but that was it for damage.

I was also geared up. A few small holes in my Aerostitch pants where I had my house keys, and a bit of scuffing on full gauntlet gloves, right where the wrist bends. That's why I'd never ride with shorty MX style gloves.

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
That's incredible man...

... that screen name was available?

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Whether or not to report it to your insurance co. depends on the damage I suppose. I have full coverage with $50 deductibles, so getting my insurance to pay is no big deal. However, when I wrecked my bike on the highway this January I didn't report it. I didn't want an accident on my otherwise clean driving record. It had broken rear set, bent clipon, broken front brake lever, twisted (not bent) forks, dented and rashed exhaust, and rashed and broken plastics. I personally don't care too much about the aesthetics, so the exhaust and plastics stayed. Thanks to the generosity of friends and EBay, I got it back running for less than $100. It doesn't look pretty, but it runs like a top.

BTW, kudos to being fully geared up. I went down at highway speeds and walked away with a couple scrapes and bruises; no trip to hospital... Fully attributable to my gear (and a bit of luck).

EDIT: since the police made a report, I'd assume your insurance company would find out about it... So that may change things a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I, too, am jealous of the newbie's screen name!
Glad you came thru relatively unscathed.
As far as your insurance company goes, I would contact them since there is a police report. Given your list of broken/damaged stuff, you will probably be better off filing a claim, unless you think you can get replacement stuff cheap. You can always ask your insurance agent for an off-the-record opinion on what to do. In my experience, the rates usually only go up if the insurance company had to make a significant payout. of course, YMMV. Good Luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Heal up man!! You most likely hit some loose pea gravel and it took off from under you. Done it who knows how many times as a kid on a bicycle plenty of skint up knees as a kid. And the insurance claiming is ?able if the cops tell them it looks like you tried to hide it and if you tell them it still looks bad a no win situation either way.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hear ya.
I went down last year, (see if you can find my post) on a very windy road. I fell to the right side. I didn't have the textile pants yet,.....so it was jeans. My knee hit first i think, i still have a little bit of scab scar on my knee. My right shoulder was dead armed completely when i got up. well i could move it a little up, but outwards was bad. Collar bone hurt bad.

The dent it your tank, if i may guess is probably from the handle bars jerking to the side. If they are stock i am pretty sure they will dent the tank every time. I have rizoma's on mine now so they curve.

Now my jacket was fine, but idk what gloves your using. I just gotta say, maybe they are cheap but i love Castle gloves. There is a particular model that gives a lot of that "gorilla-hand" fat padding on the base palm and on the fingers. I think it pads the best. They work great for me, lots of grip.

I'd say if they do file accident report, it might only be on there for 3 years. I didn't have my license (driving my car) and i think the police man compared it to a self accident, and my 1 point removed will be back in 3 years... *shrug

Today my shoulder is pretty good. I lost some shoulder strength, but i rotate it a lot and i make sure to stretch it and it hurts but it's better after the stretch. I was not able to pick my bike up with one arm out, But after i got my senses back a little i got smart and pointed my bike downhill and was able to lift my bike left handed. o.0

I clutch started my bike, and rode home. I'm still riding, just haven't been back to that road yet. lol.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I read the word "statistics", I thought of someone hitting you. Nevertheless, it's good that you're ok. How was your tire thread? Could it be that? Other than that, heal up with that left shoulder! Ride safe

·
Registered
272 Posts
Were your tires cold?
Was the road cold?
Did you jerk the throttle?
Did your tires have the correct psi?
Did you 'tip it in' while accelerating?
Did a cute girl walk by?
etc?

Do any of these things ring a bell? It's always something...

Glad your okay!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Insurance company called, will send out an adjuster to look at the bike.

Rep. told me most likely they will total the bike. She was also asking me about the accessories that were on the bike besides the sliders.

Are the aftermarket parts falls under the accessory coverage category? I have $3000 limit.

Will the aftermarket parts increase the salvage value if they decide to total the bike? in case buying back.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident.

When I had my lowside, I also had $3k in aftermarket parts coverage. Each GSXR fork was $1250, plus the muffler, sliders and a few other things the $3k coverage was maxed out.

Good luck with your next purchase, this bike might just be totaled. They gave me a bit more than the NADA price, so it was a nice check.

The buyback price for my 03' was $1250, I had already bought another bike so I passed.

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
Haha, this thread is quite old already and OP hasn't logged in in two months.

I say we auction his screen name ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts