Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hauled my bike with my home for father's day, and I used the straps that act like cups on the end of your bars. Now that I'm home I realize that my throttle is super hard to twist. What did I do?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Do a little disassmbly and see if you busted the throttle tube under the grip. It's plastic.

Other options could be if you somehow buggered up the control cables but my guess is it's the throttle tube.

This is why I connect straps directly to the bars.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Do a little disassmbly and see if you busted the throttle tube under the grip. It's plastic.

Other options could be if you somehow buggered up the control cables but my guess is it's the throttle tube.

This is why I connect straps directly to the bars.
What he said.

Also, you may want to see if the grip is rubbing against something on either side, causing friction. Try sliding the grip towards the bar end or in the opposite direction and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Also, to expand on Frick's thought, do you have bar end weights or mirrors? If so, loosen the one on that side and see if that's what's causing the tightness.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my post should have had a few more details.

It is limited to the throttle tube, because the cables weren't touched. I do have bar end weights, but loosening it did no good. Upon visual inspection, I can't see anything causing friction.

Why does disassembly seem more complicated than my MX bikes? I don't actually see any screws on the mechanical part of the throttle, only on the electrical component.

Can you please elaborate on strapping directly to the bars. I loaded the bike up while planning on using my typical MX straps, and it didn't seem possible. I don't know where I would hook them without hitting the fairing.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I go from the lower triple with my S, avoids hitting the fairings. But on an N version, or any other bike, strap to the handle bars toward the top triple. I use MSR straps with soft hooks. More mounting options and no hook rash to worry about.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/202/4178/ITEM/MSR-Tie-Downs.aspx

Think about what you are doing when you strap a bike down.. You're using those straps to hold the bike A ) down to the surface (Truck, trailer etc) B ) in place, from moving left and right. C ) from moving forward or backward, depending on how you have it secured. D ) fighting the suspension... etc etc

Putting all of that pressure on the controls is a bad idea. Always mount to something solid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me guess; you cinched it down good & tight to compress the fork. :sbmfacepalm:
I didn't, really. The total compression was maybe 1.5 - 2 inches.

Another thing I just noticed while riding is that the friction is not linear. The 1st 1/8 turn feels fine, then a little worse, and then it gets so back towards 1/2 throttle that I can't really go much more without feeling like something will snap.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I didn't, really. The total compression was maybe 1.5 - 2 inches.

Another thing I just noticed while riding is that the friction is not linear. The 1st 1/8 turn feels fine, then a little worse, and then it gets so back towards 1/2 throttle that I can't really go much more without feeling like something will snap.
Doesn't matter when you have 400+ lbs acting against your throttle tube. Never tie anything down to your controls.

·
Registered
126 Posts
5 bucks says your grip has slid up against the kill switch housing. Happens to me every time I strap the bike using a canyon dancer. Slide it back down with a little muscle ( a squirt of wd40 can help) and it should free up

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lesson learned the hard way I guess. It was a last minute decision to bring my bike for the trip. I loaded it up, and had to unload it because I couldn't see where I could attach the straps. I ran to cycle gear because I knew there had to be some product for it, and thats what they suggested. Oh well. I'll do a dis-assembly sunday afternoon when I get back from an out of state repo.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
As an aside, anyone who runs Helibars cannot strap directly to the bars; they will bend. It's a good idea to use 12-18" soft ties to either the triples or the frame itself or the bars if strong enough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem solved. I've never had a bar weight malfunction, but this one bent under the stress of the straps. I had to bend it back to normal and all is well.

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts