Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden bikes my whole life, just bought my first street bike, '07 SV650 almost two months ago. I've put 1300+ miles on it, mostly commuting, just took the advanced MSF rider course last Sat. I got some great praise from the instructors about my handling, and I'm starting to feel a lot more confident on the bike.

All of the above is contributing to me twisting the throttle too much on the streets. I try very hard not to speed but its mostly when i accelerate that i find myself 20+ over the limit briefly.

Anyways I kick myself for not riding responsibly; even though I feel completely in control if I'm accelerating that hard away from a light I'm increasing my risks. I'm thinking of keeping my revs below a certain limit for a least a week, i was thinking 7k possibly.

Anyone else have to 'ground' themselves every now and then, or is it just my fate to always ride and accelerate a little faster than is always 100% prudent?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
is it just my fate to always ride and accelerate a little faster than is always 100% prudent?
Are you SCARED that you are going that fast?
Do you feel UNSAFE that you are accelerating that hard?
Do you feel that your riding is a danger to yourself, or others?

If the answer to all 3 is "no", I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get it under control eventually...the speed/acceleration jones will wear off.

Try to remember the first time you got a "big" off road bike, or the first time you "borrowed one" from a friend. You couldnt' keep off the accelrator...right? It was new/novel expereince and it was fun. After a while, plain acceleration/speed lost it's appeal and you started digging into the depths of handling, braking and other ways to make the ride "fun"

You go through the same thing on a street bike. At first, Speed/accleration is the "joy"....because it's easy. After a while, you'll get bored with accerlation/speed and start seeking out the twisty/squiggly roads, and challengine yourself there.

Of course....this doesn't apply to everyone. Plenty of others out there ONLY interested in speed, and nothing but. You might be one of 'THOSE' people! :nana:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, I don't seem to get bored with it no matter how long. Always twisting the throttle from lights to twisties. The torque is what's fun about this bike. I just calm down when the situation warrents. Cops out, rush hour, populated area, etc. If it's empty and low traffic, it's on :). For me it's just self disipline to ride the bike at lower rpm when needed. Rain riding helps with this for obvious reasons. I drove home at 1:30am last night and it was dumping. Have to take it east u know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you SCARED that you are going that fast?
Do you feel UNSAFE that you are accelerating that hard?
Do you feel that your riding is a danger to yourself, or others?

If the answer to all 3 is "no", I wouldn't worry about it.
Good questions, and I would say my only concern is getting a ticket somehow, but I feel safe otherwise. I guess there was that one time the back tire squirmed a little cause i hit the gas a little too hard coming out of a turn, and oh yeah i've skipped into neutral a few times as I'm accelerating hard and shifting from 1 to 2. Is that an SV thing, do I just need to make sure I give the lever a good lift, or what? I mean it hasn't been dangerous the engine just revs and i lean too far forward cause I'm expecting to take off like a rocket, and yeah I look like an idiot.

And I am getting more interested in twisties as I have more time with the bike, but yeah only time will tell if I'm gonna be one of 'those' people, ha.

and yeah trunkmonkey, we get rain about every 60 days here in phoenix so no real chances since I got the bike, and with so few chances i think i'll just leave it in the garage for now, i'm still one of those overprotective parents who thinks the bike will shrivel if it gets wet.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When I'm riding down the street I pretend "What if a car popped out of that blind corner right now, would I be able to react in time?" If the answer is no, then I slow down a bit.

At some point, obviously, there is a point of no return where no matter what speed you're going you can't do anything about it. However, for me, it's all about reducing the likeliness that I won't be able to react in time.

This is the street and not the track. Things can happen to you even if you're obeying all the traffic laws.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I think the first or second time you get a speeding ticket and the cop throws on a handful of other infractions for sh*ts and giggles, you'll get more appreciation for riding under the radar of the law :p

Straight line acceleration gets old eventually, but if you're stuck in traffic and finally get some open road, its like hitting a cool showed in the middle of a hot day. You'll always have to keep yourself in check. I'd say that from the point of getting a ticket, its safer to go to slower, twisty roads where you can go speed limit yet get a rush from the turns.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I have the same issue. But there are few straight roads here.

I live in "twisty land" and blast around like Valentino Rossi (at least in my imagination). My only fear is getting a ticket; with my suspension dialed in and Pilot Powers on the bike, it will get through the turns at way over the posted limits for the turns. The speed limit on the twisty road I ride twice a day is 45, but it's good for 70+ on the straights and 60 through most of the corners. This road is in a sparsely populated area and there's only one intersection in 12 miles of this road, so dealing with cars isn't a concern.

Yep. Hard to hold back when the bike is willing and able. (yeehaaaa!!)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've ridden bikes my whole life, just bought my first street bike, '07 SV650 almost two months ago. I've put 1300+ miles on it, mostly commuting, just took the advanced MSF rider course last Sat. I got some great praise from the instructors about my handling, and I'm starting to feel a lot more confident on the bike.
What does the advanced MSF have to do with you limiting your speed? I never went over 15mph the entire time I was there.

If you can't control yourself, sell the bike. It's pretty simple really.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just got back from a day in the twisties, giving her hell. Then on my way home I got a 60 in a 45. :( If a cop dosn't ride he or she just dosn't understand how speed on a motorbike varies from cars. I can go from 0 to 60 in a few seconds and engine brake to 35 in fraction of a second. The thing that bugs me is that I always slow to a creap in congested and people ridden areas, yet I get a ticket at 10:30 at night on a main street with no one in site. Thats my rant for tonight.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was just commenting to a friend today about how I was amazed that people get their SV's up to red line, and shift way up at like 10K. Driving like crazy people, I think!

My bike has rarely exceeded 8K, and that was pushing 100mph at the track. (In 6th, I suppose in 5th I might have been close to 10K)

Granted, friend said I drive like a grandma on Sunday, but whatever.

I had a point here, honest.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I was just commenting to a friend today about how I was amazed that people get their SV's up to red line, and shift way up at like 10K. Driving like crazy people, I think!

My bike has rarely exceeded 8K, and that was pushing 100mph at the track. (In 6th, I suppose in 5th I might have been close to 10K)

Granted, friend said I drive like a grandma on Sunday, but whatever.

I had a point here, honest.
I am with ya there, I almost never see anything north or 7 grand. There just aren't many roads suited to that kind of thing. Even a "slow" bike like the SV is gonna really be moving at those numbers, in any gear.

I also ride like a grandma however, so maybe I am just a coward.;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find that if I go the exact speed limit cars will ride up on me and get way to close for comfort.

From stoplights I usually take off a bit fast, but that's just to keep distance between me and the guy that gets right up on my tail at the stoplight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts