Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well I bought a SV yesterday and was so excited. Today I took her in to have it looked at by my mechanic. It appears that she may have some serious issues. Mike, my mechanic, thinks she might have some serious issues in the front cylinder. Probably because the guy I bought it from liked to spend a lot of time with the front end up. Does anyone know if I have any recourse legally to get my money back? I'm really bummed right now. I can't believe I was so excited yesterday. :'( Thanks.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
If bought privately...... in most states....... no, your screwed..... sorry

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
1 Ask him for your money back
2 Ask him to help pay for the repair
3 Get a used motor, if needed, and install
4 Ride your new bike and be excited again

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agree with above ^

You have to confront the guy and ask for your money back. Get ready NOT to fight, but to get your point across.
But before, you should talk to a lawyer and ask him if this is something you can take to small claims court (up to $5,000?)
Maybe the guy will take the bike back because he knows that he abused it.

Especially if it is only after 1 day.

Good luck,

Marcos

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did it run well when you bought it? I don't think you have any legal recourse, and without knowing the details do you trust your mechanic.
Good luck, hope it all works out. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
did he lie to you about his maintance, or lets say his riding style?

do a google search on lemon laws for vehicles, there is ways of recourse, but with anything involving the legal, system it is long, drawn out and annoying.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If the seller is dishonest (as it sounds he is), he'll probably just claim the YOU must have been riding wheelies on it after you bought it and caused the damage. It's his word against yours at that point.

Hopefully he'll do the right thing and give you your money back - or at least some of it toward the repair.

Good luck man. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marc said:
3 Get a used motor, if needed, and install
4 Ride your new bike and be excited again
My mechanic said it may cost up to $1500 to fix the front cylinder. He's not sure 'cause he hasn't even taken it apart yet. He's just going on the noise it's making. Would it be cheaper to get a used motor? Where would I look for one. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I sold a car to someone, and apparently it developed rod knock some 4 months later. So I get a call asking for help paying for the repair. Told him to efff off since I had no idea what this kid had been doing to it for 4 months. Threatened legal action, but nothing ever happened. Private sales are AS-IS unless specifically declared otherwise. At least for cars. In my case, even a dealer wouldnt be liable. Anyhow, 1 day is quite a bit different story as you havent had time to do much to it. But I wouldnt expect any help from him. From his position you went and stunted and did it. FWIW this is why you have a mechanic look over vehicles before you buy. Sorry dude, wish I had better news.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
you are probably, but not definitely, screwed.  sorry we haven't been of much help, but that's why buying a vehicle through a private sale is cheaper than going through a dealer.  for a cheaper price, you assume higher risk because there is usually no warranty.  people who don't know how to diagnose the sound of an engine are probably better off buying from a stealership.

talk to the guy and see what he says.  maybe you'll get lucky and he'll help you out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
boy I say this a lot E-BAY has your parts(motor). I look everyday to see if there is something I can't live without, and I see motors all the time. Just picked up a stock front and rear seat set for $25.00 was just going to buy a rear to mount my new Cortech Sport Bag on but bought both for that price. Good luck!!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Lets back up for a sec, what's the problem?

Just talk to the guy... if he's a decent guy then you may be able to work it out.

If the motor is toast then it would defly be cheaper to buy a used motor. I'd watch Ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts