Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha dorky? Maybe, but it was awesome, and the first time I've done it.

The saddle bags always worry me, but when roads are totally clear I've been practicing the feel of riding on bots dots. I can ride on them comfortably for long distances without missing any so I figure I'm relatively good at keeping on a line of my choosing.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Any tips, warnings, experiences or whatever is welcome.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I would advise against riding directly on the dots, as there is a law that prohibits straddling two lanes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haha dorky? Maybe, but it was awesome, and the first time I've done it.

The saddle bags always worry me, but when roads are totally clear I've been practicing the feel of riding on bots dots. I can ride on them comfortably for long distances without missing any so I figure I'm relatively good at keeping on a line of my choosing.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Any tips, warnings, experiences or whatever is welcome.
Watch yourself on the dotted lines. Unless you're running some real sticky tread, it can be a recipe for disaster. I was passing a car on my gixxer a few months back when going around a corner, the back tire ended up sliding out when I touched the dotted yellow, because my tires weren't warmed up yet. Granted, the SV doesn't have as much weight/power as my old 750 did, but I am still wary every time I cross or ride the white and yellow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is Splitting lanes in California Legal anyway?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is Splitting lanes in California Legal anyway?
It isnt illegal, so by defult we can lane split. The CHP has some guidelines to follow or they can ticket you for recklessness, such as no more than 10mph faster than the flow of traffic up to 40mph when you are supposed to slide back into traffic.

That being said the CA DOT released a report a couple months ago that survey CA drivers on lane splitting and found that at least half of drivers in the state didnt realize lane splitting was ok and a third admitted to trying to actively prevent motorcyclist from splitting.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The 40mph thing is more of a 'rule of thumb' than the law. The officer can't write you up for lane splitting, but that doesn't mean if he sees you being a douchebag about it, he can't find 100 other 'violations' to write you up for.

For example, while you can technically share a lane but switching from lane to lane back and forth can be a swerving / unsafe lane change ticket. How many riders ( in the Bay Area atleast ) can split lane without crossing over the paint line once in a while ? Probably none.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same with D.C.

It makes getting out of the city in the afternoon SO much easier. I hate caging it for that exact reason (Among many).

I run across more people who shift to give me more room than the opposite.

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
I'm not jealous.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It isnt illegal, so by defult we can lane split. The CHP has some guidelines to follow or they can ticket you for recklessness, such as no more than 10mph faster than the flow of traffic up to 40mph when you are supposed to slide back into traffic.

That being said the CA DOT released a report a couple months ago that survey CA drivers on lane splitting and found that at least half of drivers in the state didnt realize lane splitting was ok and a third admitted to trying to actively prevent motorcyclist from splitting.
That is extremely rare in my experience and I've been commuting in rush hour freeway traffic for years on a motorcycle. I encounter literally hundreds of cars every single day that I ride.

And I've lane split past cops many many times. Never been pulled for it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've been riding for many years in California, splitting 100% of the time in traffic, and I have never noticed anyone actively try to get in my way.

However, on occasion, I have had the texting teen, women putting on make-up, people not paying attention sometimes move into me, while they quickly realize I'm there and correct themselves.

Most of the time, people go out of their way to give me room.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Same with D.C.

It makes getting out of the city in the afternoon SO much easier. I hate caging it for that exact reason (Among many).

I run across more people who shift to give me more room than the opposite.
It's illegal in DC. And people likely shift to give you room so you don't scratch their vehicle more than to be nice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts