Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today we finished up our survey job for the National Park Service at Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky.

The only thing we had left to do was control work, which involved sitting around for 3 hours while the GPS equipment gathered data. PSHCW surprises me by asking if I want to do the cave tour while he babysits the equipment. I say sure, since our contact for the park, Steve, had offered up a free tour at the beginning of the week.

So, we call up Steve, and get me a ticket for the 9:45 historical tour, which takes 2 hours. :thumbsup:

I meet up with Liz, our cave guide, and hot little 23 year old from Bowling Green, and she guides us down the hill to the cave entrance.

It's a big hole.

Our first stop in the cave is the rotunda. It's an absolutely huge room underground. The ceiling is around 75' high.

They used to mine Salt Petre back in the early 1800's to make gunpowder for the war. All the artifacts seen in the photo are original, since the cave atmosphere makes a great preservation environment.

Further into the cave.

We stop at the Methodist Church.

Back in the late 1800's, they held a church service, as well as concerts and dances down in this area of the cave. It was always cool, and made for a great escape in the summer.

More of the cave.

This is known as the "Giant's Coffin".

From here, we followed the footsteps of a slave guide who discovered most of the cave known today. He mapped almost the entire cave by himself, using only a torch and his memory. Liz shut off all the lights, and showed us how dimly lit the cave was using only a lantern.

She also turned off the lantern and it was dark and scary. People screamed and I think someone grabbed my ass.

Here we are heading deeper down into the cave. This was after going behind the Giant's Coffin from above.

"Bottomless Pit", around 150' deep.

More of the cave.

We enter "Fat Man's Misery". The ceiling starts off around 6', and ends up getting down to about 5'. The area you walk through is around 1.5' wide, and comes up to about your midsection. I'm not sure how a few of the people in our group got through. If you're claustrophobic, it would surely suck to be on this tour.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Coming out of the area, there's a film crew from one of the local public broadcasting stations. They were filming and recording us coming out of the cave. So keep watch for a historical show on Mammoth Cave coming out in about a year. I might be on there.

Proof that I was in the cave... or at least near some rock.

After heading up throught the last large area (no pics from there... it was very dimly lit and hard to photograph), we walked up about 200' of stairs, and then had an easy walk back to the Rotunda.

Our last stop, where Liz thanks us for being a great group.

Daylight!

The end.

More pics to come from my trip out here when I get home. Maybe Sunday or Monday.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
That's really cool, I'm glad you got to see the cave! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Nice pics, reminds of Lost World Caverns back in WV. :thumbsup:

You grab Liz's ass in the dark? ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Man, I LOVE Mammoth Cave! Excellent pics, but I notice none of the (hypothetical) hottie tour guide.
Nice work!

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Never been to Mammoth Cave, but I'll have to put it on the list. I have some pics from Skyline Caverns from this past weekend. I can toss them in here if you like.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I think I was there as a kid. I remember going in some caves as a kid. Great pics as usual.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
My parents took me to Mammoth Cave as a kid. The one thing I remember was 'fat man's misery,' since there was a fatty on our tour who couldn't make it through. As a skinny 10-yr-old, though, I had no issues.

From what I remember, it hasn't changed much. ;)

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Some pics from Skyline Caverns.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
i assume you asked Liz how many men had been in her cave before, or if she'd like a private spelunking lesson sometime. These lines are guaranteed my friend. GUAR-AN-TEED

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Pics from Skyline Drive.

Me and Toby, standin' on a rock.

Wildlife

Nice. :)

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
HAHA....that's my name. I can't tell you how many times I heard this growing up:

Me: I'm Toby.
Anybody: That's a dogs name.

Also, one time at a shopping plaza, this woman was yelling "Toby..get over here..toby Get in the car". Turns out she was talking to a little rat dog. Thought she was trying to seduce me.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
HAHA....that's my name. I can't tell you how many times I heard this growing up:

Me: I'm Toby.
Anybody: That's a dogs name.

Also, one time at a shopping plaza, this woman was yelling "Toby..get over here..toby Get in the car". Turns out she was talking to a little rat dog. Thought she was trying to seduce me.
Haha! My sympathies. It's the ladyfriends pooch, he's a pretty good dog.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Sweet. Now when she says the dogs name, you will think of me. It will torment you as you try to NOT think of me, but realize that only makes you think of me more.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts