Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i sold my wife's 2003 yamaha r6 on ebay for $5900.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4574954917

he lives in NJ and i live in NH, we meet in the middle in hartford connecticut at a comoft inn hotel last night.  he and his fiance are there-- he loves the bike, he pays me the cash, i give him the title and bill of sale and keys.  the bike is his.  before he loads the bike on his truck to bring it home, he wants to "take it for a spin".  so i say sure no problem (i have the loading ramps so i decide i can wait for his little spin).

he gets on the bike for the first time, starts it up, and starts going forward slowly in the parking lot.  he is heading toward some parked cars about 50 feet away and all of a sudden i hear the engine revving and the bike wobbling side to side.  he is panicing over the the cars.  at the last second he straightens the bike out and is able to head toward the front of the parking lot and disappears out of view.  his finance is now freaking out looking at me to advise her what to do.  basically i am freaking out too at this point but i didn't want to make the situation worse so i just told her it will be fine.

he is now gone for 10 minutes and me and his finance are wondering where he went.  so we walk to the front of the hotel and there are some people there.  his finance asks them "hey did you see a bike leave the parking lot".  they say "yes, he went that way... but when he pulled out he went into the lane of oncoming traffic and almost got hit."  now his fiance is in complete utter panic.  she jumps in her truck and goes looking for him.  5 minutes later she comes back-- no sign of him.  about 5 minutes later he eventually comes coasting back with the bike (still in one piece-- i was stunned).  i thought for sure the bike was going to be totaled or at least dumped.

i offered to load the bike on their truck for them saying "you know... the ramps can be awkward-- do you want me to drive it up the ramp for you".  his finance was like "YES".

the bike was a pristine and perfect specimen if you look at the ebay photos.  i can't imagine it will last longer than a week or two.  while i realize it is not my problem anymore, i am still stressed over it today.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is always the worst part of selling a bike. I've had to decline a few people because I didn't feel confident in there riding skills. I also had a guy one time take my bike for a test ride for about 10 minutes. He laid it down did lots of damage and comes back and tells me he doesn't want the bike because it doesn't handle good. He doesn't say a thing about the damage. Tries to pretend that its all jacked up. I ask him about the damage and he says "Oh yeah....... Ummmm.... a car cut me off and I had no choice but to lay it down, but that won't be an issue just tell your insurance company to pay for it". In the end I took him to court and he ended up paying for the damages but what a mess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I gotta say if I were in your position I would have a lump in my stomach for a few days at least. I would feel especially bad since his finace seems like she is really scared for him. I hope he ends up alright and the bike doesn't get jacked. It would not be a good feeling to have taken such good care of the bike and then it gets trashed.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I sold my Ural to a guy in Washington state... I live in Philly.  
He wanted to ride this *Russian* bike from Philly to Seattle?!?!?!?

In between the time the auction is over and he comes for it, he wises up and decides to trailer it from Washington DC to Seattle, but is still riding it from Philly to DC.  

He calls me that night complaining the bike is slow and leaks oil, no sh*t... it's RUSSIAN!!!  The oil leak was only a cover gasket so I replaced it in the parking lot (I'm a nice guy...) and instanly smelled that the oil smelled burnt.  The guy rode it across the city at full throttle, winding out every gear.  The bike made it just fine but he still called me a few times, I just ignored his calls.  I hope his next bike was a Honda.

·
Registered
449 Posts
at the last second he straightens the bike out and is able to head toward the front of the parking lot and disappears out of view.
call me an ahole, but at this point, with money in hand, I would have said OK Cya! and gotten the hell out of there.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
atleast you got your money before the ride.

G

·
Phew! That was nowhere near as bad as it could have been!

I wonder how that would've worked out if he had wrecked it: money had changed hands, but the title hadn't been transferred but you (assumption) were still carrying the insurance and registration. I would think the bike was his responsiblity as soon as the cash and title changed hands, but I'd hate to find out!

:)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Phew! That was nowhere near as bad as it could have been!

I wonder how that would've worked out if he had wrecked it: money had changed hands, but the title hadn't been transferred but you (assumption) were still carrying the insurance and registration. I would think the bike was his responsiblity as soon as the cash and title changed hands, but I'd hate to find out!

As long as he signs the title and there's a bill of sale... it's the buyers problem!
Whenever I sell a vehicle I always keep my own copy of the bill of sale just in case.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ibAdam said:
That is always the worst part of selling a bike. I've had to decline a few people because I didn't feel confident in there riding skills. I also had a guy one time take my bike for a test ride for about 10 minutes. He laid it down did lots of damage and comes back and tells me he doesn't want the bike because it doesn't handle good. He doesn't say a thing about the damage. Tries to pretend that its all jacked up. I ask him about the damage and he says "Oh yeah....... Ummmm.... a car cut me off and I had no choice but to lay it down, but that won't be an issue just tell your insurance company to pay for it". In the end I took him to court and he ended up paying for the damages but what a mess.
Jack ... "Morning, I'm here to rent the Huey."
Airport Mgr. ... "Sorry, we don't rent it anymore but it is for sale."
Jack ... "How much is it?"
Airport Mgr. ... "Two million dollars."
Jack ... "Umm, my pilot and I would have to take for a test flight."
Airport Mgr. ... "Yes, of course you just have to leave a deposit."
Jack ... "How much is that?"

G

·
Kind of an embarassing story, but we bought the Meanie from a guy in South Jersey. My wife and I drove down to take a look at it, and the seller lived in one of those new developments where all the (nice, big) houses look the same. Anyway, we got down there around after dark, the guy wants to sell the bike, doesn't ask for a deposit and hands me the keys for a test ride. So, of course I'm off and riding for my test ride. Problem is, I get lost. Like I said, all the houses look the same, and I don't know street signs. I finally ask some kids on bicycles where so-and-so street is, and the kid points straight ahead and says "like, um, right there". The best part is I was basically riding back and forth around the corner from the guy's house, so he and my wife could hear me the whole time, saying to each other, "what the hell is he doing". :p

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nc_sv650 said:
i'm not sure how that would work. in my case, i alrady had his cash, the title was signed over to him, and the bill of sale was completed, all before he took his first little spin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
you can't worry about it too much...if he didn't buy the bike from you, he would have gotten it from someone/somewhere else. as long as your bike is in perfect and safe operating condition, you've done your part. he's old enough to learn how to ride safely, or not at all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
GTKrockeTT said:
you can't worry about it too much...if he didn't buy the bike from you, he would have gotten it from someone/somewhere else.  as long as your bike is in perfect and safe operating condition, you've done your part.  he's old enough to learn how to ride safely, or not at all.
well put nuff said

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me on Tuesday night. I sold my zx9r on ebay and the guy wanted to take it for a test drive. I said ok but it is not jetted right and is way too rich off idle so it is going to spit and sputter until you get it past 3000 rpm and then it will take off. Well he started it up let it warm up a little bit and then took off with it loading up in the low rpm range .... he must have opend up the throttle wide open while it was sputtering and as soon as the bike passed 3000 rpm it took off lofting the front end way up in the air almost at 12 o'clock and it must have scared the hell outta him enough to close the throttle bringing him down strait into a half cocked tank slapper.. :eek:. At that point im getting pretty nervous as he continues around the block. After he gets out of sight his buddys that are with me tell me that he has never owned a bike before. He comes back around the block gets off the bike almost forgetting to put the kickstand down and has this really scared look on his face and says this "This bike has tons of power and is really fast...."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just call him in 10 days or so as a "follow-up" to hear how the bike is doing. And then buy it back and make it a track whore. (Assuming he lives of course).

·
Registered
197 Posts
amcquinn86 said:
Just call him in 10 days or so as a "follow-up" to hear how the bike is doing. And then buy it back and make it a track whore. (Assuming he lives of course).
why does he have to live? ;D

G

·
FunkDaddy said:
Jack ... "Morning, I'm here to rent the Huey."
Airport Mgr. ... "Sorry, we don't rent it anymore but it is for sale."
Jack ... "How much is it?"
Jack ... "Umm, my pilot and I would have to take for a test flight."
Airport Mgr. ... "Yes, of course you just have to leave a deposit."
Jack ... "How much is that?"

Lol great movie. He just cuts a check for it too :p

G

·
When I bought my bike,  I went out and fully inspected it at his house.  It was in such perfect condition that it wasn't hard...  I gave him a deposit and basic contract and met up with him the next day.   I had him ride it around me in a lot and watched/looked carefully and followed him in my car a few miles to my house to check it 'running'.   I finished the deal and had it insured before I even started it.   It was painless and fair enough for both of us. 

I had total confidence test riding it, but who the hell knows what fate will throw at you just in your own neighborhood?   The bike was in such good shape and the seller was so noteably honest with good records-once I confirmed every gear worked and accelerated/braked normally I was satisfied.  I was pretty familiar with the type of bike to start with.   If it was a dealer with a blanket policy for insured/licensed riders I would be more adamant about test riding it.  If the bike looked 'sketchy' in any regard I wouldnt of considered buying it anyway.

As for the original post, I would of been gone the instant the paperwork was done ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts