Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but can't find the source.

After riding the bike for a half-hour or more or some hard riding and parking I can smell gas. I don't think I've ever noticed it after the bike has been sitting. It's becoming more prounounced.

I've checked repeatedly for leaks and can never find any gas or sign of where gas has leaked. I can't imagine it's a carb problem or I'd be noticing it in performance. The bike runs great.

What is the source and what should I be checking.

I have to admit, the thought of leaking fuel somwhere between my legs is not comforting.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
OldGuy-- Throttle free play adjusted so tight that the throttle does not fully return to full closed? Guess I'd look at something simple like that first...

Visual inspection of fuel lines for ruptures, cracks, splits, etc.?

Fuel cap leaking?

Also, I'm pretty sure the cap is vented so you may be smelling evaporated fuel due to the hot engine temps...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was riding the other day and a guy behind me said he kept smelling gas from my bike. After that, I seem to get a whiff now and then. Not sure if it is paranoia or I'm truly smelling gas. Can't find a leak and I've been getting about the same mileage. Seems to run the same, so don't think it is a carb issue. Not visible rust on the tank either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may be off here but if the engine is hotter than normal the latent heat will cause the fuel in the floats to evaporate and the vapor will diffuse out of the "drain" lines attached to the carbs (i dont know the technical terms for these). this may be the source of the gas smell. I have noticed this with my bike as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts