Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i realized i will ride twins for my whole life.( V-twins, you pervert. get your mind out of the gutter. :D) I rode a gsxr-600 and... it just felt... lackluster? i only took it up to about 90, but for the low RPMs, ugh. I felt like i could have pushed the thing faster than it was going. Even when it took off on the high end it wasn't enough to make up for the slower-than-cold-tar low end. My next bike will be either an sv1k or an RC51. No doubt in my mind, no matter how pretty they are i just can't justify paying so much more for something i like so much less. *sigh* i guess i'll never fit in with the mad skillz stuntaz who park their bikes downtown and sit on them to look cool. :'(

·
Registered
280 Posts
You could get an R1 or GSXR 1000 (or zx10r or cbr1000). Liter I-4's aren't nearly as peaky as 600's.

But I agree with you. I also prefer V-twins. Or maybe a triple. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Every time I ride Stu's CBR600RR it has far more power low end than my SV - I don't understand why people talk about the lack of low end power on I4's - yes the power is lower than it is at the high end, but it is not low.

·
Registered
176 Posts
speed triple, tuono 1000 r, monster s4r...

one of these will be my next.  or, maybe i'll sell the house and get all 3...hope the wifey won't mind. ;D

·
Registered
176 Posts
AlexJ said:
Every time I ride Stu's CBR600RR it has far more power low end than my SV - I don't understand why people talk about the lack of low end power on I4's - yes the power is lower than it is at the high end, but it is not low.
we like make ourselves feel better...sheesh.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
THIS TOPIC AGAIN?!

I agree with you Kancer, but if it was your first time riding an I4 then you probably didn't ride it correctly to take advantage of the power curve. I did the same thing riding my bro's ZX6R but eventually figured it out.

Ya, they are weenie downstairs (no matter what anyone says ;D) but they are amazing up top.

That said, I was just making the comment last night to our own Nutmegchoi that my next bike will most like be a liter twin or triple (thinking TLR or SV1000 or Speed Triple). If I were to go for an I4 it would AT LEAST be a 750 (GSXR, likely) but probably a liter.  I've also considered a V4 or V5 but probably won't happen.
Either way, I'd like to keep the SV650 I have now (if it doesn't get trashed by a woman in a red minivan :D )

Josh

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess it could have been this particular bike, it has been totalled... but i just really felt like i was dragging. it didnt have any mods at all. it was a 2k2..

...Josh, are you mocking my soccer mom attack?

I dont play.

That soccer mom was mean.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Even if Stu and I swapped bikes so my lack of ability didn't influence the outcome his CBR would out accelerate my SV every day of the week, even low end.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
AlexJ said:
Even if Stu and I swapped bikes so my lack of ability didn't influence the outcome his CBR would out accelerate my SV every day of the week, even low end.

low end? do you mean low rpm or low speed,

gixxer600 and SV develop similar peak torque numbers, but SVs is within a few lb/ft of peak all the way thru it's rpm range, gixxer doesn't develop torque until high rpm

I doubt that the gixxer has as good a 40-60 top gear roll on as the SV

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
AlexJ said:
An SVR member defending an I4 bike...NOW i've seen it all. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
RandyO said:
I doubt that the gixxer has as good a 40-60 top gear roll on as the SV
It really doesn't, going 60, in 6th gear, side by side with an F4i, my bike pulled on it. Around 90 the F4i pulled away from me. Simple as that.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
KancerKid said:
i guess it could have been this particular bike, it has been totalled... but i just really felt like i was dragging. it didnt have any mods at all. it was a 2k2..

...Josh, are you mocking my soccer mom attack?

I dont play.

That soccer mom was mean.
I was referencing my predicament from the "Broke my first cage mirror" thread. ;D

Josh

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
evilbologna said:
It really doesn't, going 60, in 6th gear, side by side with an F4i, my bike pulled on it. Around 90 the F4i pulled away from me. Simple as that.
We should keep in mind...not all I4s are created equal. I've been on the 636, f4i, and 600rr, and I must say the 636 had a fat midrange, the 600rr has and itchy throttle which pops more and is more eager to bring the power up than the 636 which is much smoother. The f4i in comparison might as well have been a moped down low.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We need to start a Bikers Against Soccer Moms in Red Mini-Vans on Cell Phones Trying to Diminish the Amount of Motorcycles on the Road Club, or BASMRMVCPTDAMRC. Those soccer moms owe me a rear brake pedal..  

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Muddturtle3 said:
We should keep in mind...not all I4s are created equal.  I've been on the 636, f4i, and 600rr, and I must say the 636 had a fat midrange, the 600rr has and itchy throttle which pops more and is more eager to bring the power up than the 636 which is much smoother.  The f4i in comparison might as well have been a moped down low.
Well yes, not all are created equal for sure. 636 obviously being a bigger motor...more torque, and from what I read the 600rr is itchy like ya say. That is just from my experience though, cause the F4i is good once it gets going and the SV will never touch it once it gets there.

These threads do seem to come up semi-often, so I'd like to just say that opinions on this matter vary, alot. There are the die hard v-twin fans that won't accept anything else, the people that have never ridden an I-4 but say they are slow down low, and then there are those people that secretly itch for an I-4 but hide their desire by bashing it (kinda like having a crush on a girl in elementary). All in all, I love both for different reasons. The SV sees more action than the F4i, but thats just how I like it.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
With that being said...I wish I had my F4i back...it was more fun to ride than the RR. The body positioning on the RR and the itchy throttle is much too aggressive on the street.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If they actually make it I think that 680cc fully faired bike from Triumph is just going to be awesome

1 - 20 of 35 Posts