Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I rode my buddy's Honda CBR954RR because he's selling it and wants me to buy it.
My SV650 is my first bike, and I got it early this summer.  I love my SV, but this CBR was incredible.

The SV definitely has more low end torque. The honda was mild around 2-3000 rpms.  But wind it out past 5, and holy crap.  This probably gets to 60mph in a couple seconds.  It just pulled so hard, and was just sick.  I cant get over the rush I got on this bike.

Now, I didnt do any real cornering on the bike or get a total feel for it.  But I think I want it.  I love the SV though, and I definitely will be keeping the SV.  Do you guys think I should buy it? Do you think I'd kill myself on it?  I dont know...please help me make the decision!

Here a link to the bike specs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...49999QQitemZ4577506734QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
551 Posts
are u happy with your sv? u love it right? y put yourself into (more?) debt and get a bike that you really dont need?

·
Registered
23 Posts
jason777 said:
Tonight I rode my buddy's Honda CBR954RR because he's selling it and wants me to buy it.
My SV650 is my first bike, and I got it early this summer.  I love my SV, but this CBR was incredible.

The SV definitely has more low end torque. The honda was mild around 2-3000 rpms.  But wind it out past 5, and holy crap.  This probably gets to 60mph in a couple seconds.  It just pulled so hard, and was just sick.  I cant get over the rush I got on this bike.

Now, I didnt do any real cornering on the bike or get a total feel for it.  But I think I want it.  I love the SV though, and I definitely will be keeping the SV.  Do you guys think I should buy it? Do you think I'd kill myself on it?  I dont know...please help me make the decision!

Here a link to the bike specs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...49999QQitemZ4577506734QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
sounds to me youd be getting in over your head... you said sv is your first bike, its an 05, so you have riden long so id say wait. thats a rather large jump

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That is a beautiful bike!

As far as whether or not you should buy it... well if you SV is paid off and you can afford the bike, AND you have the riding experience to not get yourself hurt or in trouble... then, sure why not? I'd do it if I had the cash, its gorgeous and looks in incredible condition.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spuds said:
are u happy with your sv? u love it right? y put yourself into (more?) debt and get a bike that you really dont need?
Yes, I love the SV. Money is not a problem. The question is do I need this bike? Man, after riding the CBR the SV just doesnt seem to be as thrilling.

So you guys think I need more experience before moving up to such a fast bike? I mean, I think I can handle it.

Lets me ask it this way: How many miles should one put on their starter bike (my SV) before moving up to a really fast bike? When is one ready?

G

·
After 2 months of having an SV I went to an R6 and was fine, granted an R6 is nowhere near a 954. The 954 will be ALL you think about from now on. If you are confident you can respect the power of the machine I say get the bike, you will love it.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
bah, there will always be used liter bikes for sale for cheap... id say ride the sv for a bit longer until you are confident enough in your skills to where you dont have to ask an internet message board whether or not you should do it... know what i mean?

·
Registered
449 Posts
guy I know has a chromed out CBR954 erion edition. Its a real beauty of a bike. I want one too, but those old school CBRs look nice to me too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I think I may just wait a while before buying.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
It's your decision but I personally don't think that anyone is ready for a liter bike after a few months of riding - other people disagree and get them for their first bikes. Why not shop around a bit and see what you think of some I4 600s?

·
Registered
177 Posts
How many miles should one put on their starter bike (my SV) before moving up to a really fast bike? When is one ready?
When you aren't asking this question to even yourself, let alone people on a forum. (Seriously, not just bein an assface or anything.)

As for that specific bike, I see chromed wheels, swingarm, maybe forks and rearsets too? I'd never buy a bike with chrome wheels, much less swingarm, or even more than that. I polished the lips on the wheels of my last bike and it is NOT easy to keep that clean if you ride much at all. Sure if you wanna be a poser and ride 30 miles a week and spend 30 minutes every time you take it out rebuffin it, go for it, but, that much work isn't something I'd be interested in giving money to sign up for. $.02

Before you go out and buy an I4 or a liter one for that matter, ride a few more. The wind-up on them is intoxicating, but you've gotta check out 750's and even 600's too. You'd be surprised how damn fast they are, with lower insurance and initial costs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
jason777 said:
SV. Do you guys think I should buy it? Do you think I'd kill myself on it? I dont know...please help me make the decision!
imo....you have to be able to answer this question yourself before moving up :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Spirit of Bunny said:
guy I know has a chromed out CBR954 erion edition. Its a real beauty of a bike. I want one too, but those old school CBRs look nice to me too.
Erion bikes are 929s, not 954s.

I'd pass on that bike. While I own a 954 and feel it's one of the most underrated street bikes ever made, he's asking a premium for options that aren't a value add.

Chroming the wheels and swingarm does nothing for the bike except add weight. Mirror blockoff should be thrown away and mirrors put back on. Bling is worth exactly zero to me, so I wouldn't pay anything for it.

I've seen low mileage with value add upgrades 954s sell for around $5,000 more than a couple of times. If you really want one, wait around and get one that has an upgraded shock, forks, damper, etc.

Again, great bike. I have one, I love it and I have no plans on getting a different bike. I would pass on that one, though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
that bike is the sexxor go for it if money isn[t a problem, just remember what your riding, and respect it and u will be fine, keep the sv thou if your able to for commuting and long rides, use the CBR for short trips and friday nights, good luck i want one now!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really like it and have been considering one myself, if you get it let me know what you personally think after youve had a chance to run it through some corners. Id like to know. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
jason777 said:
Yes, I love the SV.  Money is not a problem.  The question is do I need this bike?  Man, after riding the CBR the SV just doesnt seem to be as thrilling.
I think this is a bad reason to get a new bike because it seems to imply that you need the extra speed and power to have fun on a bike. In a sense, it leads one to question how or why you ride. If you find yourself needing more power than the SV on the street(after only a few months of riding...) I suggest you reevaluate your riding style and priorities. Just friendly advise- take it for what it's worth.

So you guys think I need more experience before moving up to such a fast bike?  I mean, I think I can handle it.
Famous last words. ;) The 954rr and sv are seriously different bikes. At 3K rpm's(which you spend 95% of your riding above) the 954 already has more torque then the SV which then rapidly develops into a peak torque of 67.2 ft/lbs to the SV's 47.2 ft/lbs. This is not even considering that the 954rr develops almost twice(actually, with the mods probably at least twice) the hp of the SV.

There is nothing wrong with those stats...but if want the bike because you think you need the power, then you're wrong. There definitely is an attraction though...to realizing that the power's there whether you use it or not. That's the attraction of liter bikes to me. But, without knowing you or your actual skill, I'd say it's too much bike for you. You'd probably survive...but would you really learn anything?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Guess I am feeling old right about now! Been there and done that, several liter bikes that is, now I LOVE my SV. Lite, fast handling, great torque, etc, etc, etc. You know what I would say next about your question! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My riding partner had a CBR F2 then switched to a 900RR. After that, he got a GSX-R750. He was also thinking of "downgrading" to a 600. He rides really fast in the canyons, but feels that anything more than a 600 is a bit of overkill. He had his girlfriend's R6 to compare.

But when he used to ride with his girl on the back, he missed the 900RR. The seats felt better, the riding position felt better, and the torque really helped out.

The 900-954 also had enough space under the rear seat to fit a small village. Great for when you're out riding all day.

Guess it comes down to the type of riding you do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
COBRA COMMANDER said:
that bike is the sexxor go for it if money isn[t a problem, just remember what your riding, and respect it and u will be fine, keep the sv thou if your able to for commuting and long rides, use the CBR for short trips and friday nights, good luck i want one now!!!!  :eek:
Never ridden one, have you?  Then 954 is awesome for long rides and you'd have a hard time convincing me that an SV is better for that role.  The 954 requiers less shifting, has a better range and is, imo, at least as comfortable. I've done long trips on both and there's no question in my mind that the 954 is a better sport tourer.

Here's mine on about mile 1200 of one of my long riders.

You may recognise the other bike in this pic.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts