Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Harley, where they know my dad and I pretty well and they let me test ride two bikes! Sportster 1200 with mid controls and the V-rod with forward controls. Took a little time to convince myself I could handle the V-rods weight but its very low and I said, what the hell, lets do it!

Sportster is very light, easy to ride, great beginner's bike in my eyes, definetly would get the 1200 not the 883.

Didnt like the power delivery, I like a smoother bike. On both bikes I noticed the clutch feel was not as good, just feels crisper on the R6. Also the brakes are nowhere near supersport but then again Im used to using only the front, you would use a lot more rear on a long heavy bike like the V-rod for maximum braking.

V-rod felt great, didnt take the sporster out on the freeway but thats the first place I went with the V-rod! Great power delivery (liquid cooled of course!) and buttery smooth. Under 6000rpm it sounded like a stock twin, very quiet, smooth sounding, like an SV. Open it up above that and its a great sound!

Lots of power on the V-rod and lots of bike but the low CG make it feel very light and nimble, and above 6,000rpm the power is superb, I think its 120hp at the crank. I had it opened up at WOT near redline in 1st and then into most of second (eased off to stay under 75mph) but man does it pull, the R6 pulls harder but I have yet to open up the R6 in 1st gear in the power band, for fear of riding a unicycle. The v-rod is just planted, you barely feel the front suspension unloading but its still pushing you back with a nice fun rush of power!

Anyways, dont think Im a convert yet, didnt like the aircooled motor but if they made a bike that handled like the new XR1200 Sporster, with the V-rod's power and smoothness I may just be sold!

Still hoping to ride an SV sometime but my dad really enjoyed seeing me enjoy a harley (he rides a Road King Custom) and was surprised that I could handle the V-Rod ;).

Anyways I dont post here much since getting the R6 over the SV650 but just thought I'd share my experience with a twin!

Oh and the ride home felt funny, atleast at first. The long gears, the smooth power. The clip ons felt very funny almost like my two hands were touching! And then first time I slowed, oh boy are the super sport brakes nice!

Did a bunch of other riding, overall good motorcycle day for a day with a few showers, lots of clouds and a chilly temperature!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ridden with guys on VRods that can keep up with our group of SV's - Ducati's - and R6's.
Impressive!

Yeah I could definetly see it being my ride when the R6 is just to uncomfortable (Im still very young so thats a long ways away ;).)

·
Registered
290 Posts
The last big group ride I did had a vrod with, it. He was hammering on that thing, but was able to keep up, the road had some twisties but not to tight.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I think you'd like the SV. Lots of torque with very smooth power delivery but the stock suspension needs work...especially if you're over 150lbs.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always said and thought the SV650's power plant would be just the engine for me, I do love the R6's sound though but the SV has a nice growl as well.

Problems are suspension (easily remedied) and cosmetics (not so easy).

Thats why down the road I think I could see myself on something a little less powerful, or atleast top speed oriented power, but I dont think I could take a downgrade in the cosmetics.

A ducati (monster) might be fun. As would the rumored KTM RC4 (690cc single cylinder sports bike, super moto light weight, can almost keep up with a 600cc with a lower top speed and great handling), have not been a huge fan of KTM styling but I could grow to like that bike.

For now though I am very very happy with the R6 and getting more and more comfortable every day. I have no need for all its power, rarely use 5th and almost never 6th gear, but its still fun to wack on the gas in 1st or 2nd and feel that rush, knowing I am only at 1/2 throttle!

Anyways, the V-rod was fun and an enjoyable new experience! I definetly know for fact my next bike (will likely have the R6 atleast through college so I have 5 or so years before I start looking at something new) will not be another I4 600 SS, what it will be I cant say! I want to try something different, maybe a naked! I really like the looks of the Triumph Street Triple!

Then there is the decent looking Harley XR1200, great handling but I dont think I could learn to love the power delivery, maybe if it had a V-rod engine ;).

I really think its going to come down to a naked (Triumph, BMW, etc...) or the KTM RC4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts