Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its raining all the time and pretty dark & gloomy outside....:'(
Just cannot wait any longer for summer!

I did drive to work yesterday...it was awesome feeling...was pretty cold & windy here in Delaware, not many bikes on the road (just saw one cruiser actually), but still I drove as it was atleast sunny ;)

I'm really jealous of you guys in California, Florida, Texas, Arizona etc., who have riding weather year round. :angry1:

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's been raining non stop here in mass, and it turns out it's gonna be mid 50's all week. So I'm stoked. Yippee. Still 30ish in the morning tho, but I'm still commuting in that it's not too bad.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I cant believe you guys are riding in 30's weather...I decided to cage today to shield my baby from the rain. :)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I'm in the PNW. It rained and blew like a gale all day yesterday. It was 30* this morning and the roads were still wet, but not icy. You're not alone in the sub-par weather scenario.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel: Saturday and Sunday sunny in the 70's.

Better weather is on the way.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Man I cant believe you guys are riding in 30's weather...I decided to cage today to shield my baby from the rain. :)
It's not bad, its all about layers and avoiding freeways. It's also funny that i wont go anything over the speed limit, the faster i go the colder it gets :(. My ride home is pretty nice tho.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
We have one or two nice days a week maybe. They are usually weekends which I work 11a-11p so I miss all of it. All of the other days I work or go to school its usually overcast and drizzling.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hey, the SV is waterproof! Get the proper gear on and get out there!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't believe you don't. You're cutting off a large chunk of the year if that's where you set your limit, depending on where you live. Layer up and you can go until the roads are iced over.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still a newbie ... not very confident on rainy slippery roads...might not be an issue for cars...but for a motorcycle, the oil drips from cars on the road getting wet & slick...so i'm a little nervous...

also since i'm a new sv owner i'm still very protective of it...dont want to test if the sv is waterproof...i have a naked...so i'm even scared to hose it down to wash it...not very mechanical so not sure which parts may get damaged by water...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm really jealous of you guys in California, Florida, Texas, Arizona etc., who have riding weather year round. :angry1:
You should be! Oh and you forgot New Mexico. Not too many rain/snow days here. If you have the right gear, a little cold weather won't keep a motivated person from riding.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm still a newbie ... not very confident on rainy slippery roads...might not be an issue for cars...but for a motorcycle, the oil drips from cars on the road getting wet & slick...so i'm a little nervous...

also since i'm a new sv owner i'm still very protective of it...dont want to test if the sv is waterproof...i have a naked...so i'm even scared to hose it down to wash it...not very mechanical so not sure which parts may get damaged by water...
I rode a naked SV650 up to Milford Sound last week, they annually get about 7 meters (~23ft) of rain in that area and it was making up for a couple dry days when I was there. Trust me, it's waterproof. I have heard that water under pressure, such as a pressure washer or high pressure hose, can push water where it shouldn't be and cause damage...but then I've got friends who use pressure washers on their bikes with no issues, so I don't really know. Maybe it's the difference in bikes, I was warned against doing it on my Ninja250.

Either way, yeah, be careful about the oil and dirt and all that nasty road grime on the road, but it's usually gone after it's rained for a little bit...and then you're left with "just" wet road. I'd recommend getting out there for at least a little bit of rain riding practice just so you're not forced into doing your first rain ride when you're not expecting it, like being far from home and you run into an unexpected storm.

My 2c at least :)

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Its raining all the time and pretty dark & gloomy outside....:'(
Just cannot wait any longer for summer!

I did drive to work yesterday...it was awesome feeling...was pretty cold & windy here in Delaware, not many bikes on the road (just saw one cruiser actually), but still I drove as it was atleast sunny ;)

I feel for you. I grew up in upstate NY so I know what it's like to be stuck in a cage all winter. I'd never move back there.

Sunday my wife and I were driving back from Palm Springs in 80 degree weather and I was looking at the beautiful mountains and rugged terrain and I thought to myself how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful part of the country and the thousands of miles of roads I get to explore on my motorcycle every year.

It is overcast here this morning but still, it's 65 degrees.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
"Riding year around" in CA is only doable depending on your limits. I'm in SoCal and it gets down to the 30s and low 40s on the coastline. If you go into the hills it snows and, well, is like a real winter.

Yes, I ride in the 30s. If you have gear for it, it's no problem!

There's plenty of fair-weather riders here who only go ride if they don't have to wear a jacket. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
"Riding year around" in CA is only doable depending on your limits. I'm in SoCal and it gets down to the 30s and low 40s on the coastline. If you go into the hills it snows and, well, is like a real winter.

Yes, I ride in the 30s. If you have gear for it, it's no problem!

There's plenty of fair-weather riders here who only go ride if they don't have to wear a jacket. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I ride year round but I must confess that I do ride less when it's cold out and I try to avoid riding in the rain simply because I don't own any rain gear (because it almost never rains here).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hey, the SV is waterproof! Get the proper gear on and get out there!
I didn't say i didn't ride in the rain, i said we only get two nice days a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts