Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm staging a move to across country close to the end of the year, maybe early 2013, and need the bike shipped. I'm using PODS to move the rest of my stuff. I called and asked about motorcycles and the guy kind of didn't answer the question. He said, "We don't allow combustibles, but we don't check what you have either." Lol. So yeah, PODS is the only surefire 100% reviewed service I've seen that's legit, plus it would convenient to have it with my other stuff. I heard uship.com, haulbikes.com and all these other sites are scams. Can anyone shed some light please? Don't wanna get rid of the SV. But I also want to have peace of mind my bike isn't going missing being "shipped". Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Should you be unable to ship via the POD, contact ForwardAir Complete, they've got motorcycle freighting specific service, around 400 bucks. From what I've been told, and at least locally, its all handled very well.

Entrusting any cartage agent with your property is a risk. The higher the declared value of the shipped freight, the lower the chances of loss because no one wants to face the replacement claim. None of us are swimming is cash, nor wish to increase our insurance premiums for losses (lost profits either way, impacts are greater than you think). I could say "have a little faith", but that's hardly fair to say, but I've seen enough bikes and major motorcycle assemblies (partially assembles, parts crates, ect ect) shipped throughout our area, never once have I heard of a claim for any of it. Now, if you buy a TV and have it shipped to you.. that's got a major danger of being demolished. Your bike would go into a stout wood crate designed for the purpose.

So.. you're not out of options should PODS somehow bar you from shipping an "assembled vehicle w/o fluids" (considered non-hazmat to road based agents due to non-placardable volumes of hazardous materials *coughcough*). Though, viewed from their perspective, if it drips.. or can be made to.. its not "empty".

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would drain ALL the liquid/ fluids in the bike, wedge and tie it down in a corner or brace it against a side of the POD(S), and pack a ton of cheap (Goodwill) quilts around it to prevent any damage. If the PODS are already going there, then there is no reason to ship it separately...

Also, you could always rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer if youre driving...

·
Registered
476 Posts
drain fluids... :rolleyes:

I've shipped 2 bikes, one from the midwest to the west coast, and a different bike from the west coast to the midwest.

The first experience - worked with the dealer I bought the bike from.
Second experience - I think it was Atlas Van lines that was moving our stuff, and they just put the bike in with everything else (but gave it some room).

Didn't drain a drop either time. The dealer said they were supposed to, but they didn't. Both times I got to the end destination, took out my key, and was able to ride the bike.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My best friend used a regular dude on uship.com to ship his SV. Guy came by and detached a 40ft boat trailer, we placed the bike on his dually's bed using ramps the guy had, rolled it up to a wheel chock, installed the tie wraps, (it was parked next to a Harley), he delivered the bike in 4 days, it was in perfect condition when it got to the other side, cost was $380. He was fully insured and you could track where he was online.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My best friend used a regular dude on uship.com to ship his SV. Guy came by and detached a 40ft boat trailer, we placed the bike on his dually's bed using ramps the guy had, rolled it up to a wheel chock, installed the tie wraps, (it was parked next to a Harley), he delivered the bike in 4 days, it was in perfect condition when it got to the other side, cost was $380. He was fully insured and you could track where he was online.
The problem with uship is some carriers are great and others are horrible. Also, just like any business, they may have paperwork saying that they are insured, but it also may mean that they WERE insured, then cancelled the policy. On that front I am far more likely to trust a larger company with a few million in trucks and equipment at risk over a solo operator whose only asset is the one truck you see.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
We just got two KTM's from California and had them shipped via U-Ship. They arrived on time and worked well for us. I can't speak of other options out there but we had a good experience with U-Ship.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The problem with uship is some carriers are great and others are horrible. Also, just like any business, they may have paperwork saying that they are insured, but it also may mean that they WERE insured, then cancelled the policy. On that front I am far more likely to trust a larger company with a few million in trucks and equipment at risk over a solo operator whose only asset is the one truck you see.
I trust the solo operator before any of those big companies, why? He cares just a little bit more. Your argument is easily thrown out the window the second you ask for the current insurance paperwork (and tell them you will), you can even call a number a verify, they will give it to you if you ask for it (this guy did). Their job and license is on the line so they care that little bit more than the multi million dollar companies who are overpriced and just want your money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts