Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to use fiberglass or something similar to fill in the headlight holes on my stock fairing to make a cheap(ghetto) trackbike fairing?

Please don't answer unless you know wtf you're talking about. ktnx :-*

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
DonnieJ's 8 step program

1) cover the holes with tape
2) fill the holes behine the tape with "great stuff" foam insulation (use sparingly, it's strong sh1t)
3) remove tape after foam is hard (overnight)
4) sand out areas around the holes so the resin haws something to "bite" on to
5) spray glass with a light coat of 3M 77 spray adhesive and apply 2 sheets
6) apply resin with a paint brush and squeegie off the excess (allow over night to dry)
7) sand to desired finish, start with 200 grit and work up to 400 to 600 grit
8 ) drink beer while posting praise in my honor  ;D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I talked to my brother in law who is a painter body man about repairing fiberglass. From his description it seemed pretty straight forward. Go to a decent auto parts that sells body work supplies, get some fiberglass, body filler, sand paper, primer etc. Prep the back/front of your fairing, apply fiberglass to the back of fairing which will cover the headlight holes - you could probably cut some strips to fill in the front as well since there will be a recess. Let cure, add body filler and smooth out lens area. Sand smooth, primer, paint. In doing this for the first time its best to a test piece so you get the hang of it and learn a bit from your mistakes.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I think I know what I am talking about but... I don't work for a body shop so take it however.

First... yes. I think what you are asking is possible because I had considered the same thing myself. I have a 2WJ set of fairings on mine and in another year or two... it might become a track bike and I thought about filling in those holes too.

here are my thoughts... if you wanted it to look good, you will likely need to sand all the current paint down and repaint when done. I had thought that if you used large pieces of fiberglass material (large enough to cover the hole on one side and then covered it good with the resin... you could lay it on the inside of the fairing over the hole... press firmly around edges and let it setup. Do same on both sides. Then, once its setup... you apply more smaller strips of fiberglass material dipped on resin to both inside of fairings on back of the fiberglass that is now hard for strength. Then do same on front trying to keep strips inside the headlight circles as much as possible.

Then once you have a nice buildup or fiberglass on front so that it almost comes out to the rounded shape of light and feels like the back is stong enough to hold it in place.... you could use bondo to fill all the little cracks on the outisde of light holes and then shape it to get the rounded shape that flows with rest of fairing. Make sense/

Alternatively, you could buy some of those headlight covers I had seen and then just fiberglass those into place from the back making it easier probably to get the shape of the lights in the blank holes without so much bondo work and fiberglassing.

Fiberglass is easy stuff to work with once you understand how it works. What you can do with it sometimes just comes down to how creative you feel like being.  ;)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MrStinky said:
Not hard.
I'm going to kill you. :mad:

j/k

Okay, each of your methods are pretty much how I figured it would work. I guess I just need to buy the materials and go for it. Thanks for the step-by-step. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I.....yes me.........

Have had a few after work beers!

And I want to fab up my own custom fiberglass flyscreen. I found a car audio forum with some decent info. Looks like I will be playing with some of the large green super crushable foam dealies that flowers are sometimes poked into. Glue them all together, cut, file, and sand into shape and glass on top of that.

I plan on making several to get it just right. Going for a new screen for my Triumph Speed Four with the dual round headlights there's not much aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
hmmm, if i'm going to do more track days, i think i'm going to have to do the same. it'll also give me something to do with the old upper cowl

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
svfool said:
its a track bike, duct tape over the holes. call it done. go ride.
well see, theres this really cute girl that does trackdays.. and i think the duct tape is holding me back a little bit.. i was just gonna fill in those holes and paint the whole thing flat black.. that would get me some play right... riiiight? ::)

maybe i will just paint the parts black and keep doing the duct tape thing... fiberglass idea sounds tricky for me... id glue my hands together i know it.

ghetto fabulous:

G

·
Re: DonnieJ's 8 step program

donniej said:
1) cover the holes with tape
2) fill the holes behine the tape with "great stuff" foam insulation (use sparingly, it's strong sh1t)
3) remove tape after foam is hard (overnight)
4) sand out areas around the holes so the resin haws something to "bite" on to
5) spray glass with a light coat of 3M 77 spray adhesive and apply 2 sheets
6) apply resin with a paint brush and squeegie off the excess (allow over night to dry)
7) sand to desired finish, start with 200 grit and work up to 400 to 600 grit
8 ) drink beer while posting praise in my honor ;D
Pretty good step by step process above, but between step 6 and 7 use body filler/kitty hair (bondo and glass mix) to smooth out as much as you can regular bondo works but Rage gold works better for sanding purposes. And start sanding with 80 grit maybe with 120 at the finest if you want it done by the new year ;) Or if you are just going to sand the glass start with 60 and pray for good arm strength. You can give it a shot with 200 but you're sanding time will be increased dramaticly and to bring that to a nice paintable surface you're going to have enough hours in as it is. Remember glassing really isn't difficult but making is look "pretty" and paintable will test your patience especially when you "think" youre done and you keep finding "pin holes" waves ect ect... Reference www.the12volt.com go under forums on the left and click on fiberglassing/interiors and read read read its a Q and A forum like this every question can be answered there as well. HAPPY SANDING!! ;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been doing fiberglass on boats for about 6 years now, and if I haven't managed to stick my hands together yet it probably can't be done without extraordinary effort. Only use resin that is two liquid parts, the liquid and powder stuff sucks hard. Buy a little extra and play with it a little, it's kind of like learning to weld and having fun sticking all kinds of things to each other. Doing it isn't that hard, it's doing it and getting it to look good that is a little more difficult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
get some white or yellow vinyl and cover that shit up with number plates. That way you get the benefits of duct tape, but you look like a racer.

That chick will be all over you in no time (until she realizes you ride an sv...).

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joe said:
That chick will be all over you in no time (until she realizes you ride an sv...).
I will put some gsxr decals on it too 8)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
SunTzu said:
I have been doing fiberglass on boats for about 6 years now, and if I haven't managed to stick my hands together yet it probably can't be done without extraordinary effort. Only use resin that is two liquid parts, the liquid and powder stuff sucks hard. Buy a little extra and play with it a little, it's kind of like learning to weld and having fun sticking all kinds of things to each other. Doing it isn't that hard, it's doing it and getting it to look good that is a little more difficult.
didn't even know there was a resin that used powder for catalyst... interesting... glad I stayed away from it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts