Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been putting off buying new tires as long as possible, due to a very tight financial situation, and I found out today why that's a bad idea. I was on a short ride on a favorite local road, and I felt my rear end sliding out a bit on the tighter turns. I slowed my pace considerably and took it easy for the last 5 miles. When I got home, I looked at my rear tire and saw this...

Well, luckily, I got paid on Friday and ordered a set of Metz Z6's. They should arrive by the end of the week. The bummer is, this week is my vacation off of work and my dad is coming up to visit with his bike. I was going to take him on some fun local rides, but I guess that's out of the question now.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yep... you got your money's worth out of THAT one! :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
well worn strip you made there sir.

·
Registered
551 Posts
thats amazing! does that strip go all the way around? cause you wear your tires very evenly then! wow! :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Blown away!

The SV is my first bike. Before I ride I always check the tires. Now Im thinking I might be looking at my tires the wrong way. Ive always heard the tire wear indicators would show to let you know the tire needs replaced. Ive always thought the indicators would be a line on the left and right of the tire. Is this right? Now the picture show what looks like a seam in the middle. Would there have been a tire wear indicator before the seam showed?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ibang1 - Do you always ride on the sides of your tires?

If you look, the tread from the center is gone. There are indicators in the tread... just look and you will see them in the tread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spuds said:
thats amazing! does that strip go all the way around? cause you wear your tires very evenly then! wow! :eek:
No it doesn't quite go all the way around, but far enough to scare me into not taking it on the road again!!! When I bought my bike, it had 5000 miles on it (on the stock tires), and from the looks of it, had only been ridden straight up and down on the interstate. It had almost 2 inch chicken strips on it. So it does make sense that it's so much more worn in the center than the sides. I'm sure glad it didn't pop on me out in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jared McDonley said:
Ibang1 - Do you always ride on the sides of your tires?

If you look, the tread from the center is gone. There are indicators in the tread... just look and you will see them in the tread.
I guess my wording was wrong. I thought the wear indicators where about an inch from the center. Ive been looking at the photo and Im guessing the indicators are inside the slits of the tire? I thought when the indicators wear thru the tire is when it needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
551 Posts
bazookatooth said:
No it doesn't quite go all the way around, but far enough to scare me into not taking it on the road again!!! When I bought my bike, it had 5000 miles on it (on the stock tires), and from the looks of it, had only been ridden straight up and down on the interstate. It had almost 2 inch chicken strips on it. So it does make sense that it's so much more worn in the center than the sides. I'm sure glad it didn't pop on me out in the middle of nowhere!
yeah..those are some pretty good chicken strips! haha if you bought your bike with 5k on it...whats it got now? how many miles did you get off the stock tires?
i bought mine with 2300 miles on it and had to put a new rear on by 6800 miles. that was everyday driving and 2 burnouts!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spuds said:
yeah..those are some pretty good chicken strips! haha if you bought your bike with 5k on it...whats it got now? how many miles did you get off the stock tires?
i bought mine with 2300 miles on it and had to put a new rear on by 6800 miles. that was everyday driving and 2 burnouts!
That's hilarious, I just checked my odo- 6820!!! I've never done any burnouts, but I ride pretty aggressively (then again I'm extremely tame compared to other folks I've ridden with). I can't really speak for the guy I bought it from, but it looked like he literally never leaned the bike over at all, just long distance interstate commuting. I'm pretty sure that's the case too, because his bike previous to the sv was a harley sportster.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, my last Z6 had a 1 inch wide and four inch long strip where NOTHING but steel cords were showing... Not that thats a good thing but you got some life left in that tire if you were in a pinch (unsafe life). Finances also forced me to into that situation...

-josh

·
Registered
196 Posts
I see what you got goin here, an old man i usta go to church with said he liked his tires with a lil wire showin on his ole farm truck. That way when he got it out on the pavement he could tell if he had any gas leaks. Looks like you had the same school of thought ;D

No worries though i bout mine with 2200 miles and my stockers were shot by 4600 miles. As far as cheap tires i get track takeoffs on ebay pretty cheap sometimes. Just an idea!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
that reminds me, I have to order tires before I get in your situation,  I try to anticipate new tires about a month ahead, I order them thru my local dealer, I prolly pay $10 more  but it's much more convenient but I do buy my motard tires online

my front tire has 16k on it and the tread is nice and even , and gettiing  down there I am noticing they can't channel deep water like they could when they were new

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RandyO said:
that reminds me, I have to order tires before I get in your situation, I try to anticipate new tires about a month ahead, I order them thru my local dealer, I prolly pay $10 more but it's much more convenient but I do buy my motard tires online

my front tire has 16k on it and the tread is nice and even , and gettiing down there I am noticing they can't channel deep water like they could when they were new
16K huh? Man, I want the tires you're riding on!!! Do you use the motard tires for winter riding?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
bazookatooth said:
16K huh?  Man, I want the tires you're riding on!!!  Do you use the motard tires for winter riding?
Azaro STs , yes, pirelli mtr60's in winter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts