Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I recently purchased a 2001 sv650 and everything was fine. Old battery but the thing ran and did everything it was supposed to. Fast forward about 3 weeks, battery took a dump, We jumped it at a gas station, the low beams were off, the tach wasn't reading at all, and the speedo was only coming on if I revved it up as if it was the tach. Tried to make it back but the battery was toast and wouldn't hold a charge for anything. So, I replaced the battery, it wouldn't turn over, checked everything and found the coils weren't sending spark to the spark plugs, got a new cdi and r/r and the thing turns over, runs fine, just still have no tach, I'm assuming no speedo, but I haven't taken it out, and no low beam. All other lights work, the neutral light works on the dashboard and the others too. I checked the fuse box and they're all not corroded and are not popped. Is there another thing that could be wrong with those? Or am I going to have to start looking for grounded wires somewhere?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
My 2000 speedo is mechanical. Thought the 01 was the same bike. I'm confused.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is, but I figured it might be electrical with the lights and stuff. But do you think maybe a new sensor or something?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Yes there's a speed sensor, so you could be right. Cable from front wheel to somewhere, then signal to speedo.

Assuming you have a meter, I would check signals in these plugs behind the headlight. First the easy part - do you have power there? Checking tach signal is harder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes there's a speed sensor, so you could be right. Cable from front wheel to somewhere, then signal to speedo.

Assuming you have a meter, I would check signals in these plugs behind the headlight. First the easy part - do you have power there? Checking tach signal is harder.

Okay. So my speedo works, I got all the lights in both my tach and my speedo, I'll check my power to my headlight. Would you by any chance know anything about the tach?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts