Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I'm doing:

Installed the calipers on the GSX-R front--4pot Tokicos.

Filled with DOT 4 fluid.

Vacuum pumped it through.

Still getting no "feel" at the lever.

Attached a hose to the bleeder nipple and put the other end into a milk jug to do a gravity bleed.

Pump the lever several times. Hold lever down. Loosen the bleeder nipple enough for fluid to start flowing. With the lever still held down, tighten it back up.

Repeat several times.

Go to the other caliper and do the same.

I'm seeing no bubbles in the fluid being pushed out. With each squeeze of the lever, fluid is coming out.

But I'm feeling no compression. With the lever squeezed all the way, I can feel resistance on the front rotors when I duck-walk the bike, but it won't stop.

I can find no wet spots or leaks in the line.

Help me out here, please!

·
Registered
683 Posts
how are the seals in the master? How much fluid have you gone through?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've yet to find a bike that I can't bleed with a piece of hose and a jar.

If you don't prime the master cylinder, you'll never get anywhere... it's like an oil pump, it won't pump air. Bleed the master up before you hook the lines up; just use your finger over the outlet like a bleeder being open and shut, that is, pull the lever in, block the outlet, release the lever which fills the cylinder from the reservoir. Three or four pumps like that and then proceed as normal.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
I would go with what he said. Also, make sure to do the furthest away first, then the closest. Lastly, sometime you just need to let it sit and allow gravity to get some bubbles to the top.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've yet to find a bike that I can't bleed with a piece of hose and a jar.

If you don't prime the master cylinder, you'll never get anywhere... it's like an oil pump, it won't pump air. Bleed the master up before you hook the lines up; just use your finger over the outlet like a bleeder being open and shut, that is, pull the lever in, block the outlet, release the lever which fills the cylinder from the reservoir. Three or four pumps like that and then proceed as normal.

If fluid is being pumped out of the brake bleed nipple, wouldn't that tell me that the master cylinder is free of air?

I'm not sure how to go about what you're talking about...

The outlet? Isn't that what the banjo nut covers? If so, how do I fill that with fluid and then put the nut back on without letting air back in?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how are the seals in the master? How much fluid have you gone through?

Haven't gone through much fluid at all.

Don't know what condition the seals are in because I haven't opened it up.

The reservoir doesn't look like it's very old, so I'm hoping that the seals inside are clean and new.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
If fluid is being pumped out of the brake bleed nipple, wouldn't that tell me that the master cylinder is free of air?

The outlet? Isn't that what the banjo nut covers? If so, how do I fill that with fluid and then put the nut back on without letting air back in?
Which master cylinder do you have?

Newer units have a bleeder built in.

Older units sometimes you need to play around with them as there could be an air pocket. Or, sometimes owners will add a bleeder banjo.

You could also try filling it, closing the cap, and rotating it about to 'work' the air to the top. I have never had to do that with a m/c, but have had to with (rear) calipers.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which master cylinder do you have?

Newer units have a bleeder built in.

Older units sometimes you need to play around with them as there could be an air pocket. Or, sometimes owners will add a bleeder banjo.

You could also try filling it, closing the cap, and rotating it about to 'work' the air to the top. I have never had to do that with a m/c, but have had to with (rear) calipers.

It's the MC that came on the front end I bought. 2004 GSX-R 600/750. I don't see anything that is a bleeder that I can operate.

I think I'll pull the brake lever off the clip on and rotate it around to try to work out any air that may be in it.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
2004/2005 600/750 that I ordered from Ron Ayers has a built in bleeder nipple. Are you sure the one you received is the original with the front end?

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Either way, sometimes it can be an air pocket. Thats my suggestion.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
No, it tells you that the seals are maybe working ok, nothing more. If it's full of air, it'll make a half hearted attempt to pump fluid through the system... you've already discovered what that feels like at the calipers by walking your bike around and pulling the lever.

Yes, take the banjo bolt out.

In more detail:

Take the reservoir cap off.
Take the banjo bolt out of the outlet.
Fill the reservoir.
Pull the lever in.
Put a finger over the outlet to seal it.
Let the lever go.
Pull the lever in.
Slip your finger off the outlet and back on again.
Release the lever.
Let the lever go.
Pull the lever in.
Release the lever.
Let the lever go.
Pull the lever in.
Release the lever.
Let the lever go.
Pull the lever in.
Release the lever.
Put the hoses and banjo bolt back in the outlet.
Bleeder as per normal.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
You got air trapped in the lines up near the m/c. No amount of vacuum bleeding at the calipers will extract it. Either get a helping hand to work the m/c around OFF the bars while you vacu-suck it, or get one of these.....

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, so I went out and removed the MC from the bar and moved it around while flushing.

Now I have brakes. I think.

Pushing the bike and grabbing the brake locks the front wheel.

BUT, the pressure needed to this is extremely light. I can pull the lever all the way to the stop without much pressure, though I do feel resistance. Is this just a feature of this particular braking system?

I'll test ride the bike this weekend to make sure that the brakes really do work properly.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You got air trapped in the lines up near the m/c. No amount of vacuum bleeding at the calipers will extract it. Either get a helping hand to work the m/c around OFF the bars while you vacu-suck it, or get one of these.....

What is that and what's it for?

Something tells me it's a bleeder of some sort. Is it a banjo nut with a bleeder valve on top?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts