Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's like blasphemy on here to say that, but I do. I needed a small part that was $8.00 at RonAyers, and called my dealer (at 6pm today) to inquire about getting it locally. They want more money, of course.... $0.21 more, to be precise. AND, I'm going to have to pay tax, but when it's all said and done, I'll be out less than $9. Not to mention, the parts lady said that I should have it by Thursday, Friday at the latest.

I guess it helps that I've spent quite a few bucks there over the last couple years in spares, oddball parts, and fluids, but what's really nice is being on a first-name basis with Carol, the parts lady. Most places would have required to pay up front for it, but she didn't even make me do that. I'll just pay for it when I pick it up.

So the moral of the story is this: try getting your parts from your local dealer first....they just might surprise you.

And due to her service and attention to detail, if I decide to buy a new Suzuki or Polaris, I'll check with them first.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I know it's like blasphemy on here to say that, but I do. I needed a small part that was $8.00 at RonAyers, and called my dealer (at 6pm today) to inquire about getting it locally. They want more money, of course.... $0.21 more, to be precise. AND, I'm going to have to pay tax, but when it's all said and done, I'll be out less than $9. Not to mention, the parts lady said that I should have it by Thursday, Friday at the latest.

I guess it helps that I've spent quite a few bucks there over the last couple years in spares, oddball parts, and fluids, but what's really nice is being on a first-name basis with Carol, the parts lady. Most places would have required to pay up front for it, but she didn't even make me do that. I'll just pay for it when I pick it up.

So the moral of the story is this: try getting your parts from your local dealer first....they just might surprise you.

And due to her service and attention to detail, if I decide to buy a new Suzuki or Polaris, I'll check with them first.
yep, spending an additional $.21 at the local dealer goes a long way for your community. often times if you give your local business a chance, they are around the same price and can actually help you out.

i just bought a stove for one of my apartments. the local guy was $30 higher than lowe's. however, the cord was $15 cheaper and the local guy had a product with a better warranty. local businesses rule.

oh yeah, it also keep your money in the community.

</soapbox>

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
My local Ride Now Suzuki will price match Oneida and Ron Ayers.Com but that still doesn't mean they'll get the part to me faster then UPS/USPS will. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Plus not having to pay shipping and wait for the darn thing.
My dealer has to order in air filters for 1st gen SV. :rolleyes: Thankfully Suzuki only uses one oil filter for all bikes other wise I'm sure the one for the SV wouldn't be a normally instock item either.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I used to deal with a Honda shop that was awesome. I spent a butt load there in motocross parts but they were very cool. The owner was into bikes and rode and raced. That was before internet though.

My local Sudz dealer is owned by a big auto dealership conglomerate. Its all big business. They don't stock crap for parts. I wanted the copper washer for the drain plug. They would have to order it.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I actually like my dealer too. Their service department has been absolutely stellar and I will gladly take my bike there for routine maintenance when I don't want to do it myself.

I'd recommend them to anyone who needs service on their bike.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
i buy about 70% of my stuff at my local shop, nice people, and they treat me well. as an added bonus, i meet some interesting people there as well

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great to hear good comments on the dealers, to often all we here is bad. Personally try to pick up the majority of parts from them - oil, filters, etc. If they are not there who is gonna sell me the next one? And once they know you, its just a call to order and pay when you pick it up. Always a good chance to wonder around and look at the new and new pre riden bikes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree 100% !!!

The parts manager, a guy I used to workout with, will take call in orders from me, let me pay when it come in, and even give me a 20% disc...

deal locally on what you can

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Plus not having to pay shipping and wait for the darn thing.
When my SV was only 6 months old I was told by the dealer I bought it from that they don't stock parts for it (I only needed an oil filter of all things). So I still had to wait. I always check local first to try to keep my business local, but that doesn't mean I don't have to wait for parts ;D. If it's cheaper at the dealer after shipping, and surprisingly they aren't always, I order local.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well I never said I "liked" my local dealer, cause if you ask them for CR8E spark plugs for an SV650 they'll still bring you 4 of them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
For certain things I'll get online, but many others I'll get from the dealer. I talked the parts guy down for a rf1000 last winter for 175. I order lil bits here and there. Then there's another dealer where they throw free parts that would just be laying on the shelf.

It's called customer relations. They'll be willing to help out the returning customer rather than the guy that comes in once complaining about stuff.

Support your local dealer and they'll support you.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
rarely do I pay more for something at my local dealer than I would have if I got it online, usually less, sometimes a lot less

yesterday, I bought 2 tires, chain & sprockets for my v-strom and spent under $400

Conti trail attack 110/80-19 $95
Conti trail attack 150/70-17 $115
SV1000 front sprocket $ 42
Sunstar rear sporcket $48
DID 530 o-ring chain $98

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I always check my dealer for parts first. Might be a few cents more, plus tax, but it's usually still cheaper than online w/ shipping and handling. And I'm going to have to wait one way or another. Plus it's a Ducati shop, so I get to stare at stuff.

Now Casey Cycle City of Newport News, Virginia is a terrible shop. I've been treated like sh-t because I'm not the stereotypical sportbike rider willing to ask questions like "whats a good first bike" and "what's the fastest thing ya got". Their prices suck ass, and whenever I inquire about a part or something behind the counter, I'm treated like I'm wasting their time and they can't be bothered. It took them 2 hours to change out a rear tire, and they charged me $40... I supplied the tire. They also harassed me about trying on goggles. They never have anything other than GSX-R/CBR/ZX/YZF's in the showroom, and don't seem to even know what a "Motard" is. Their salesmen are rude, either ignore you, or push you far to hard to buy something, and overall seem to know very little about the motorcycles in the showroom. When a friend took their SV in for service, they asked who made the SV.

Redline Performance of Yorktown, Virginia however... Very nice. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
It took them 2 hours to change out a rear tire, and they charged me $40... I supplied the tire.
$40 is the going rate around here for a tire change if you leave it on the bike. Usually around $20-$25 if it's off the bike.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I had a good shop just 5 minutes from my house.
Turns out they weren't paying state payroll taxes, so the Man shut em down.
Now I have a 45 minute drive to someplace that doesn't give a sheet.
Just a matter of time before I'm changing my own tires.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Heck yeah, I would go there too, :).

I am buying a tire changer hopefully sometime later this summer. I really hate paying to have tires mounted but my back is too bad to change them on the garage floor like I used to, LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts