Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a dolt, I kept only one key, and I have lost it. I think it must have fallen out of my pocket while I was pulling out my car keys in a parking lot.

I took the tank to a locksmith, but it turns out the tank lock doesn't have all the cuts that the ignition does. He offered to give it a shot, but the key ended up only working on the tank.

I attempted to remove my ignition, but the handlebars are locked, and in that position the headlight mount is directly below one of the torx bolts, making it impossible to get my bit into the hole (that's what she said).

Also, the locksmith doesn't do at-home jobs on motorcycles; if I want them to work on the bike, I'd have to take the bike to them. I don't own a truck.

So. Are there any other options available to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought a salvage bike that did not have a key so all i did was remove the ignition assembly attached to the top triple clamp and bring to a lock smith and they made me 2 keys for like $50. Standard tools except for the 2 bolts holding it to the triple. you will need the torx bit that has a hole in the center. Got mine from sears

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that you can't get the triple clamp off the bike when the bars are locked, either.

I just ordered a skinnier T40 bit that might be just narrow enough to get out of the way of the headlight mount.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I'm doing it wrong, then?

It's necessary to loosen the bottom clamp to get the top clamp off? Does that mean I'll have to suspend the front end of the bike?

Edit: to be clear, I removed the center nut, removed the two tightener bolts on the outside, and removed the two bolts underneath the clamp. I can giggle the clamp ever so slightly, but I can't pull it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts