Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the bike out of storage and rode it to work last week and I noticed that everytime I stop I smell coolant. When I changed the oil I noticed there was some water in it, but I just chocked it up to being from sitting all winter and condensation as the engine block was soaked when I got it out of the garage.

I also just filled the coolant resivoir and I noticed after a short ride that there was some coming out of the overflow hose, so I thought it was that that I was smelling, but I figured after a 30min ride to work and a 30min ride home that it would go away. I still smelled it when I got home.

I couldn't see any water in the oil through the sight window and I can't smell and coolant in the exhaust. I'm thinking about changing the oil again just to make sure, but do you guys and gals think that it's anything that I should be worried about?

After hearing all the threads about people having cracked heads after the etreme cold that we had this winter I'm getting kinda worried.

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
744 Posts
How high did you fill the coolant reservoir?

There's a union for the top/left radiator hose under the carb, between the two heads. It's held together by hose clamps. Check to make sure you're not leaking anything there, and tighten the clamps if you are.

Is your coolant system low? Take off the radiator cap and check.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The same thing just happened to me I kept smelling coolant until one day the bike was sitting in the garage and I found the leak at the thermostat housing. The hose was a little loose and would only leak at cold temp. When the bike warmed up the leak would stop.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is just the oppisite I only smell it when the bike is warmed up and I've been riding a while.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Mine is just the oppisite I only smell it when the bike is warmed up and I've been riding a while.
Sounds like it's overfilled or has a void in the system since it's only doing it at operating temp.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the faring off today and checked the hoses and the radiator fluid level and everything looked good. I don't think that I'm going to worry about it too much unless I start using coolant.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I pulled the faring off today and checked the hoses and the radiator fluid level and everything looked good. I don't think that I'm going to worry about it too much unless I start using coolant.
While you have the fairings off - start it and let it get to operating temp and locate the leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts