Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really noticed this on my ride last night -- I keep having to push myself toward the back of the saddle. It's like no matter what I do, my butt just keeps creeping forward on the saddle, like it's at some steep angle or something. Biggest problem with it is that the constant forward movement on the saddle tends to get the pants to move backward as well, and eventually the boys run out of room... So my mind started working on solutions... Could angle the whole subframe down to get the saddle level, but that would change the exhaust support and decrease clearance to the license plate. Could raise the front end of the saddle to make it level (not sure how though). Or is this a matter of not having the adductors in shape enough to squeeze the knees to keep myself back? Or is it that I have too much reach to the bars and I'm compensating but scooting forward?

What does the SVRider collective have to say on this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
i had the same problem when i picked up my sv last year, i since figured out how to comfortabley grip the tank with my legs, that keeps me back in the seat.

i ride an n tho so i dont have the lean that you do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you have a stock seat? I think it also depends on your height and arm/leg length. I have not had an issue of moving around on the seat, but then again I have an aftermarket (corbin) seat. I also have long arms and legs.

A little off topic conversations. I went for a cycle ride yesterday and I had a dream about riding my SV last night. The only thing i remember was that I was going through a sweeping turn and I lifted my front wheel a foot off the ground *while completing the turn.
After thinking about it for awhile, I can't remember if that was a dream or actually reality.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
That's mostly just an issue with the stock seat. If you get a Corbin, Sargent, Spencer's seat mod (greatdaytoride.com) or just shave the seat yourself you can fix it.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
That's mostly just an issue with the stock seat. If you get a Corbin, Sargent, Spencer's seat mod (greatdaytoride.com) or just shave the seat yourself you can fix it.
send it to spencer. one of his standard mods to the SV seat is to lower it in the back to reduce the angle toward the front.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isn't it supposed to have a forward lean? If you use your legs to keep yourself farther back on the seat, your body is higher up, pushing your center of gravity higher and giving you more control of the bike. Also, since your legs are gripping the tank tighter, you have a lot more control during a turn.

Isn't that why all of the pros have their tails angled up so high? Or is that just part of the suspension setup?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Biggest problem with it is that the constant forward movement on the saddle tends to get the pants to move backward as well, and eventually the boys run out of room... So my mind started working on solutions...
I found that the best solution to this problem for myself was to get some briefs, and what you're looking to do is pull them up a little higher than you're used to. Basically try and lay the bottom side of the boys on the gas tank in a way, so that when you are being pushed forward, they go up instead of down. I would imagine wearing a "Jock" (aka "Athletic Support") could provide a similar result, with added protection!!

Hope this helps... :highfive:

·
Registered
895 Posts
+1 to bike shorts as a frank-and-beans management solution. Plus the padding makes for comfort on longer rides.

I see you have a tank bra. Consider replacing it with a set of grippy tank pads.
I have Tech Spec pads and they made a world of difference, whether riding in jeans or leathers.http://www.techspec-usa.com
There are other tank grip makers that folks here like.

:bacon:

·
Registered
467 Posts
i had this problem when i first began riding. i accounted it to my nerves and squeezing my legs on the tank harder than needed. the seat makes a wide triangle so as you squeeze your legs together you are kind of pushing yourself forward to the narrower portion of the seat. once i relaxed a little it seemed the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just buy yourself a Sargent seat and be done with the issue forever. I found Spencer to be a tool. His seat work doesn't come close to the Sargent so don't waste your time and money.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I move around all the time. My boney butt can't find a place to settle into. I've gotten better at gripping the tank with my knees but get a little lazy after awhile--might have something to do with the rest of my body being like my butt. I do have the grip pads on the way. They should help a lot. I'm also waiting for a sale to fall through on a shaved seat. That will definately help. **fingers crossed**

I thought about a tank bra but went with the grips. Do the bras slide around from the pressure of the knees or are they just not sticky enough?

·
Registered
437 Posts
+1 to bike shorts as a frank-and-beans management solution. Plus the padding makes for comfort on longer rides.

I see you have a tank bra. Consider replacing it with a set of grippy tank pads.
I have Tech Spec pads and they made a world of difference, whether riding in jeans or leathers.http://www.techspec-usa.com
There are other tank grip makers that folks here like.

:bacon:
I have this problem in spades! I usually ride in slacks (read: no grip) to work with A* shin/knee pads underneath. My commute through Manhattan results in frequent hard braking, pot holes, etc.

I was minutes from buying the tech-spec pads to add some grip when this thread made me hesitate.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=97930
I'm now wondering if these magnetic tank bras will do the trick.
http://www.mag-knight.com/
Or can I super glue the tech-spec grips onto the mag-knight bra for a best of both worlds setup?

·
Registered
856 Posts
+1 again on the cycle shorts,also since i replaced my passenger seat with a cover that has a little padded tet on it ,it's not even possible to slide back as much,also +1 on gripping the tank to keep from sliding forward. i think the fork dive might also be contributing to sliding forward , i think i need to go with .8 or .85 springs , i'm pretty light, i thought that the emmulators and oil might be enough, i set the emmulators between street and track. I read somewhere on these pages about someone selling their corbin seat because they don't like the flatter profile for sporty riding, a corbin seems to more of a distance comfort thing,for cornering you do want to be forward on the seat but i guess junk on the tank is a bit to much.I think i'm gonna stick with the stock seat since i'm gonna keep my rides shorter,mostly a sunday afternoon thing after 3-4 hrs of mtn biking, the sv is a great active warm down and fun as hell, but my solo rides will stay under a 100 miles.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
send it to spencer. one of his standard mods to the SV seat is to lower it in the back to reduce the angle toward the front.
I tried the Sargent first and really didn't like it. I talked to Spencer and decided to try his mod. It was fairly cheap ($100) and the seat is a world better. I guess Oh My Sack just had a bad experience with him. Sometimes a $300 aftermarket seat isn't for everyone, though.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have this problem in spades! I usually ride in slacks (read: no grip) to work with A* shin/knee pads underneath. My commute through Manhattan results in frequent hard braking, pot holes, etc.

I was minutes from buying the tech-spec pads to add some grip when this thread made me hesitate.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=97930
Holy carp! Less than a year and the manufacturer says "since you've had them for such a long time"? Scratch those off my list of considered purchases...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about a tank bra but went with the grips. Do the bras slide around from the pressure of the knees or are they just not sticky enough?
It's basically a vinyl cover. It doesn't slide around on the tank, but I don't think it provides a whole lot of grip on the knees either. More than a bare tank, for sure, but I think its primary function is to prevent the tank from getting scratched up.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
More than a bare tank, for sure, but I think its primary function is to prevent the tank from getting scratched up.
Just make sure you take it off every time you wash the bike. Road gunk can get under it and scratch the paint anyway, and it if it stays wet and on the tank it can cloud the paint over time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts