Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at this bike for over a year and now i finally got one...

05 sv 650s BLUE

problem is, what are the "best" parts for upgrades?

I fiqure that you guys probably have posted all about all the upgrades i want to do, so i was hoping that maybe some of you could post links here so i could get my learn on.

i am interested in....

undertail kits (with blinker elimiater)
full plastic (with matching blue)
Carbon wheel hugger
lowering link

i have thousands of more questions but i will start with these...i know i could look for the info myself but i have a REALLY slow and frustrating computer..

thanks fer all your help

Steve

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
well u'll learn the most by searching thru the forum but off hand ive bought lots of stuff off ebay, i love ebay

onedia suzuki is also a good place, as well as 2wheeljunkie, they sponsor us so we get 10% i think....both excellent companies

J

·
0 Posts
Well let me start off by saying hi. I personally like the hotshots undertray the best however they are having a problem with color matching atm. You can get oem plastic colored to match from oneida suzuki. As for the carbon fiber hugger there are a few out there.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Welcome, unlearn. Ride well and be happy.
What's "best" to upgrade is, of course, subject to personal taste. None of the modifications you've discussed relate to actual performance of the bike. In fact, I'd argue that changing the rear to make your blinkers less visible to folks following behind is a serious step down in safety. Also, the `05 is already lower than earlier SV bikes, so, unless you have stature-related problems holding the bike up, lowering the bike will also result in performance degradations because you'll lose a little bit of lean angle.

Your first and smartest upgrade would be frame sliders. Nate's sliders (sold by an member of this board and an advertising supporter of SVRider.com) are excellent, but ther are others to choose from as well. They will protect your shiny, expensive plastic.

The most popular prformance upgrades address the SV's cheap and undersprung (for most American sized riders, not just me) suspension. Stiffer fork springs and oil, cartridge emulators, wholesale front-end swaps and new shocks are all very popular suspension modofications.

Lots of folks like to get a new exhaust as well, to liberate some of the more melifluous low tones in the SV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fer all yer help guys...

I was looking for links to past posts but i have a good idea where to begin..

B

·
0 Posts
no way doxie! holeshot or two brothers racing.....j/k scorpions badass to...

brett

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
What kind of riding experience do you have?

The first and best modification might be a software upgrade for you- the MSF beginner's or experienced rider's courses are probably the best bang for your buck, as you'll end up a better, safer, more skilled rider.

As for equipment, how are you set for riding gear? Helmet, jacket, and gloves of course, but don't forget that denim self-destructs after sliding about 3 feet on asphalt, so a good set of overpants are a great investment in terms of both comfort and safety. Ditto for a decent pair of riding boots.

As previously mentioned, suspension is the real shortcoming of the stock bike. If you ride hard enough to notice the suspension misbehaving, the good news is that upgrades are both simple and inexpensive (well, for the most part).

Do be aware (as previously mentioned) that some modifications may look great on a bike that sits in a parking lot, but end up working against you if you actually ride it.

Congrats on selecting a really great bike, and welcome to the board.

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess i forgot to include my resume

5 years riding seca II, zx10, VFR, harley's etc.
mechanically inclinded...i can work on my own shite
don't talk safety to me... you'd be preaching to the choir <---spell?

I got a carbon yoshi rs-3 but i can't put it on 'till break-in is done.
Frame sliders and other stuff are pretty self-explanatory I'm confident i can figure out that stuff. I guess i was just looking for info on stuff that i should avoid i.e. CRAP

I'm pretty happy with the performance so far (i can wait for a new fork, rear shock etc.)

I'm gonna do the cozmetic stuff first then maybe next year i'll throw a power comander, tires or something.

Right now I'm just gonna ride that hell out of what i got and replace the stuff when i get sick of it...

thanks again fer yer help ya'll :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts