Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after spent $500 on the bike in the past month, I'm not convinced that I spent wisely.

I bought a Sargent seat and it seems to be only slightly less hard than a brick. $300 is a lot of money for a hard seat. Does it need to be "broken in?" If so, how long does it take?

I also bought a Givi A700 windscreen. Let me say that this is a "Universal" fit screen. "Universal" means don't buy it for your 2nd gen naked SV. It doesn't fit if you have the stock turn indicators. (I had to install some POS Lockhart Philips signals. They are horrible.) I moved my master cylinder all the way to the throttle to make the upper, right strut fit. (Of course, when I moved the master cylinder the brake lever hit my barend mirror. I busted out the grinder and the end of the brake lever is no more.)

I LOVE the fact that there isn't any wind to blast me in the chest or under my helmet anymore. Unfortunately, the wind comes off the top of the screen and hits my helmet right at the seam between the top of my visor and the helmet shell. It is very loud and annoying. If I move up about an inch or so, much less buffeting. If I slouch down an inch or so, much less buffeting. I don't really know what to do. I could sell the Givi on ebay or craigslist and get a different one but I don't know if I should get the one that is an inch or two shorter or get the one that is 1.25 inches taller.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The aftermarket seats are always harder- but they don't "pack down" on a long ride. You'll notice an improvement in comfort on the long hauls- it keeps the load from centering in on your, ah- tailbone.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I just had the same experience with a Sargent seat. I bought it and from the moment I sat on it I liked it less than the stock seat. So I sold it to a member on here a few days later. Lost some money, but not a ton, and I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. I sent my stock seat off to Spencer at greatdaytoride.com and for $100 shipped he modified it and now it is almost as comfortable as my overstuffed couch. So if you really don't like the seat you could try selling it for $250ish, and get yours modded like I did. You'd be out $150 and hopefully a lot happier, plus that's still a lot cheaper than $300. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My BMW Corbin seat is hard as a rock, but as stated by others, cups the ol' arse WAY better than stock and does not compress over time, which is better.

·
Chief Greeter
28,477 Posts
Hi kingnothing, Sounds like you have to break the seat in. Maybe the taller windscreen is what you're looking for.

I have to google to see what these Givi screens look like... :D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just had the same experience with a Sargent seat. I bought it and from the moment I sat on it I liked it less than the stock seat. So I sold it to a member on here a few days later. Lost some money, but not a ton, and I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. I sent my stock seat off to Spencer at greatdaytoride.com and for $100 shipped he modified it and now it is almost as comfortable as my overstuffed couch. So if you really don't like the seat you could try selling it for $250ish, and get yours modded like I did. You'd be out $150 and hopefully a lot happier, plus that's still a lot cheaper than $300. Just my two cents.
I'd like to know more about your seat from greatdaytoride.com. That price seems pretty good for having a custom seat done. I assume it's just some guy in his garage but I'd just as soon have him do it then try tackling it myself since he's got plenty of experience I'm sure.

-Did it retain the original shape?
-What are the differences you noticed?
-How long did it take?
-What was your maximum ride time before and after the seat mod?
-Any complaints?

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Well, after spent $500 on the bike in the past month, I'm not convinced that I spent wisely.

I bought a Sargent seat and it seems to be only slightly less hard than a brick. $300 is a lot of money for a hard seat. Does it need to be "broken in?" If so, how long does it take?

wow... $300 on a seat.. Yikes...

I don't have too much trouble with the seats... but haven't driven my 06 for more than 40 minutes at a time yet...and I had a 99 SV which I rode close to 8 hours in 1 day.... it was not too bad as long as I stopped every 3 or 4 hours for a break..

The only thing I would like the corbin or the seargent for is the slightly lower seat height... more comfortable is a bit of a bonus for me...

The 99 SV seemed to have a lower seat height... 1 inch would be perfect.. but $300 is a bit much for me to spend on a seat..

like all seats I'd imagine it would break in a little over time.. but I don't know if it would be that much softer...

It's funny... I hear all the time that the SV both 1st gen and 2nd gen have terrible seats.... I never had a problem with it on either bike... I had an old maxim cruiser style bike and even on that I had to get off after a few hours ride... but after the break they were fine... I just need a slightly lower seat height without screwing with the suspension

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'd like to know more about your seat from greatdaytoride.com. That price seems pretty good for having a custom seat done. I assume it's just some guy in his garage but I'd just as soon have him do it then try tackling it myself since he's got plenty of experience I'm sure.

-Did it retain the original shape?
-What are the differences you noticed?
-How long did it take?
-What was your maximum ride time before and after the seat mod?
-Any complaints?
Yes when the seat arrived it didn't look any different. The only way you could tell anything had been done was there were new staples. The stock seat felt way too firm and had some bad pressure points that would start bothering me after 45 min and get unbearable a couple hours into a ride. I've only been able to put a solid hour on the new seat but it was so comfortable I forgot it was a new seat, I was more focused on the next turn rather than thinking "ow my a** hurts". I mailed it off on a Thursday and had it back the next Friday. He sticks to his turn around time since he didn't receive the seat until Tuesday. No complaints so far, but I'm going to be put some heavy miles on it soon (~1600) so I can let you know if that changes. I emailed Spencer before I mailed my seat off and he sent me a very detailed reply describing the deficiencies of the stock seat and how he would correct them, he knows his stuff. I would highly recommend this seat for anyone who finds the stocker just too d*mn uncomfortable.

Sorry for the semi-threadjack kingnothing, but hopefully you'll find this useful if you get rid of the Sargent.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Jesus! Give the Sargent some time. I wouldn't be without mine. Seems that people always equate soft with "good". Soft sucks! The stock SV seat was a POS and I started going numb at 20 minutes. Not so with the Sargent. Give it some time.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

The sargent is designed so that if you move your butt just a half inch on the seat and a whole different set of pressure points come to play.

Soft sucks cause it wraps your flesh around the bones and cuts off circulation.

Your most comfortable chairs and car seats have very firm foam in them.

The firmer the foam, the more expensive it is.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
You haven't given the Sergeant anytime to show you what it is like.

How much RIDING have you actually been able to do in the last month? You live in Denver, so I am positive they have not been very long rides. After doing a trip to the Dragon and back in 07 with my stock seat, and doing several 4 to 5 hour rides in 08 with my Sergeant, there would be no way I would ever go back to stock, or even have someone alter my stock seat.

You have to actually spend some time in the saddle.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Another positive vote for Sargent here. :)

The foam in the stock seat is soft. Your butt compresses the foam and when you go over the bumps, your toukas ends up hitting the plastic pan under the seat. The result is, after riding for an hour or more, your pooper hurts. :(

The stiffer foam in the Sargent eliminates this problem. In addition, the wider Sargent seat distributes your weight much better than the (relatively) narrow stock seat.

I have heard terrific things about GreatDayToRide.......but I wouldn't trade in my Sargent.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'll add to the mix. The Sargent takes some getting used to, at first. I don't know if the seat had to break in, or my butt did, but after a few rides I got used to it, and then after a few more I came to love it. I can't imagine going back to the stocker. I can ride out a full tank of gas with only mild discomfort, whereas on the stock seat I could go no longer than about 30 minutes.

Give it some time.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
All the aftermaket seats are firm, you have to sit on them for a couple hours to appreciate it :) It's more about shape than softness.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great thread guys- I've been looking into new a new seat/options for a while now. This definitely helps my decision making.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
If $500 is considered "issues" - I should have a straight jacket on and heavily sedated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts