Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for a 400+ mile trip this weekend finally got me in gear to do something about road noise. My touring windscreen blasts noisy air right up on the skirt of my helmet and a 2 hour ride was painful and fatiguing.

The solution? Custom headphones, for ~$7.50. I can still hear my speakers over them quite well and the road noise is now just a faint whisper. I'm quite pleased, especially given the price point.

I followed this guy's instructions: howtogeek, minus the headphones (though I got two packs so I could try headphones later).

Helmet holds them in place well just so that while talking on the intercom or grinning like a fool ;D they don't wiggle out of place.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I don't wanna start a "headphones while riding" debate, but if you can barely hear what's around you, I don't think is very safe...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I actually did that quite awhile back. Works fairly well

·
Registered
391 Posts
The SENA SMH10 plays perfectly over ear plugs no problem and very clear. In ear monitors block too much of outside noise for me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't wanna start a "headphones while riding" debate, but if you can barely hear what's around you, I don't think is very safe...
Studies show that above 30 mph wind noise is great enough that you can't hear what's around you anyway (unless it's something like a siren). But the alternative is to slowly destroy your hearing with wind noise really. And I can hear someone yell to me, but the wind noise is taken down to a whisper, something to do with the material damping different frequencies better I believe.

And I'm not riding with in ear monitors ATM either. I'm using external J&M speakers which are mounted up in my helmet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The SENA SMH10 plays perfectly over ear plugs no problem and very clear. In ear monitors block too much of outside noise for me.
Have you used the Scala line of products? I found their quality to be horrific which is why my Dad and I switched our intercom system over to CB based J&M products.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have you used the Scala line of products? I found their quality to be horrific which is why my Dad and I switched our intercom system over to CB based J&M products.
Yes i have used the scala g4 and the non blue tooth chatterbox and they both have horrible speakers. The SENA is actually a very nice and loud speaker. Not going to have tons of bass from it but it sounds amazing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes i have used the scala g4 and the non blue tooth chatterbox and they both have horrible speakers. The SENA is actually a very nice and loud speaker. Not going to have tons of bass from it but it sounds amazing.
Huh, I wish they made more of a selling point out of that. But I have to admit the J&M speakers have pretty good low end and are extremely clear with no distortion at any volume really. If I wanted I could mount them on the fairing and probably still hear them fine.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just made some of those. My impressions:

They molded fairly easily, although I probably didn't push the material quite as far into my ear as I should have.

My problem came when I went to put my helmet on. The hard silicon in my ear caught on the cushion and tried to sheer my ear off!!!

My solution was to cut about 1/2 the material off the back side of the plug, reducing how much it fills the outside of my ear. It's a little looser without the helmet on, but snug and comfortable with it on, plus I don't feel like I'm going to rip my ear off putting my helmet on!!

My $.02 is buy a pack, and cut the material used into quarters (instead of halves), and make 2 sets of ear plugs. Then you'll have a spare set too!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just made some of those. My impressions:

They molded fairly easily, although I probably didn't push the material quite as far into my ear as I should have.

My problem came when I went to put my helmet on. The hard silicon in my ear caught on the cushion and tried to sheer my ear off!!!

My solution was to cut about 1/2 the material off the back side of the plug, reducing how much it fills the outside of my ear. It's a little looser without the helmet on, but snug and comfortable with it on, plus I don't feel like I'm going to rip my ear off putting my helmet on!!

My $.02 is buy a pack, and cut the material used into quarters (instead of halves), and make 2 sets of ear plugs. Then you'll have a spare set too!
Depends on your ear size really. Mine are almost as cartoonish as Jay Leno's chin and with half the given material in each ear I didn't have any problems putting my helmet on and off. Though I do agree you should be a LITTLE aggressive getting the material into your ear canal to get a snug fit. Also, pulling up and back on the top of your ear while pushing the material in can help.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Huh, I wish they made more of a selling point out of that. But I have to admit the J&M speakers have pretty good low end and are extremely clear with no distortion at any volume really. If I wanted I could mount them on the fairing and probably still hear them fine.
Yea i bought them because of the reviews on sound quality from them http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

I have never heard of the J&M speakers i should i check them out.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The new G9 speakers are more than loud compared to the Q2 I had. I cant keep the volume all the way up. I do wish they had more bass but it sounds like that is a common problem in all of the headsets.

·
Registered
521 Posts
pics please, I'd love to see them... did you splice them into a system (Scala or chatterbox) or do you just run a line to them from your ipod? I hate the speakers in my Scala and would like to find a reasonable speaker that I could replace the current speakers with.'
Thanks,
Toran

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The SENA is actually a very nice and loud speaker. Not going to have tons of bass from it but it sounds amazing.
+1 The SENA is amazing and is great on long runs and high speeds. It would be nice if they had more bass, but what can you expect from helmet speakers? I love that i can pause, skip fwd, skip back and turn on my phones music player with the SENA.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pics please, I'd love to see them... did you splice them into a system (Scala or chatterbox) or do you just run a line to them from your ipod? I hate the speakers in my Scala and would like to find a reasonable speaker that I could replace the current speakers with.'
Thanks,
Toran
Oh this is an entire system from J&M complete with CB radio and power filter etc.

I HAVE however done a mod job on a Scala G4 to accept headphones (or anything with a 3.5mm jack) as the output. Does that ring a little truer to your interests?

+1 The SENA is amazing and is great on long runs and high speeds. It would be nice if they had more bass, but what can you expect from helmet speakers? I love that i can pause, skip fwd, skip back and turn on my phones music player with the SENA.
I'm afraid I'm really going to miss that functionality :/

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Studies show that above 30 mph wind noise is great enough that you can't hear what's around you anyway (unless it's something like a siren). But the alternative is to slowly destroy your hearing with wind noise really. And I can hear someone yell to me, but the wind noise is taken down to a whisper, something to do with the material damping different frequencies better I believe.

And I'm not riding with in ear monitors ATM either. I'm using external J&M speakers which are mounted up in my helmet.

Do you have a link to these studies? I'm not trying to be an a$$, I really am interested in learning more about it. I've always thought that it was dangerous because you don't hear what's arounds you, but if it's THAT detrimental for your hearing, then I might consider start using something like that...

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
I followed this guy's instructions: howtogeek, minus the headphones (though I got two packs so I could try headphones later).
Thanks for posting this link. I bought the materials awhile back, but the enclosed instructions sucked, and horror stories abounded.
So I was just waiting for something like this!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.