Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season is just about over and I'm really trying to get as much ride time as I can since I started late. so I rode into work when I knew there was gonna be rain and left early to account for it and to beat it home. sadly I made it just down the street from where I live before a mini hurricane basically decided to drench me and the bike. I didn't get high in the revs stayed below 4k and really played it safe coming home in the last little bit (around a mile).

fast forward to the day after that I woke up and decided to take the bike into work, started up just fine absolutely no issues. turned the choke on to hold the rpms steady around 1600-1800 and gave it like 10 minutes. topped the oil off (she leaks from the neutral switch sensor) boom temp was at 160 on a cool 60degree morning and I was off. absolutely no issues ran flawlessly.

when I had gotten off work I started the bike up let it warm up to about 140 before heading off, left a little early to avoid traffic and small talk, made it just out the gate for work and i had noticed that I was loosing power around 4k rpm. the bike was rolling and power was going to the wheel until I hit around 4k thought it was weird turned the bike off looked to see if anything was really off and nothing was out of the norm. so I turned the bike on and figured it was just upset that it was still a bit cold. got around my small problem by upshifting and continuing about my ride home. went less then a mile bike got up to normal temps and noticed I was getting a surge of power and then it would bog so I turned it off turned it on and gave it some gas and after that it was totally fine the whole way home.

now, I went to start the bike it turned on put the choke on to warm it up normal 1600- 1800 noticed that it was dropping to around 1400 and then it would shoot back up to 1800 and stay in-between 1600-1800 and dip again so I gave it a little gas and eventually it completely died turned it back on tried to give it some gas and was getting the opposite effect as it would just bogg down and die again.

so I came here looking for anything similar and so I looked at the front cylinder sparkplug and cap and didn't see anything worrying I did however notice that the drain hole for the engine was clogged so I cleaned that out. bike cranks and will spit and sputter 700rpm and then die 2 seconds after I turn it on. I live on a hill so I tried jump starting it and I got it to come on again for a few seconds and then it just died. any help would be amazing and appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,525 Posts
... I did however notice that the drain hole for the engine was clogged so I cleaned that out.
That is the most common reason for engine trouble after riding in rain.

Along with clearing the drain hole, pull the plug cap, make certain the cap and plug are perfectly dry. Apply dielectric grease and reassemble. While there, be certain the connection between the high tension lead and the plug cap is secure.

If the problem is not a wet plug cap, it is possible water got in the gas through a faulty gas cap seal or a broken drain tube. Try open the carburetor float bowl drains. Use a rag to catch what comes out and look for water.

Do not worry about angering your machine, SV650s have big hearts and are very forgiving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you get it back up the hill?
I pushed the bike up it's not very steep but it's long enough to get good speed.

I don't know where the carb floats are and I'm unable to lift the tank right now I did notice though trying to start it in gear with the clutch in the bike would lunge forward I noticed a screw on the clutch lever loose

Checked the front spark plug and cap and both are good

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The bike is trying to turn on but I think the clutch isn't disengaging when the clutch is pushed in and it's in gear it feels like I'm trying to move the bike with the brakes on,

Upon reading other forums the bolt mentioned previously is supposed to be a little loose so disregard that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's good. As per another post check the plug caps and drain hole especially the front one and have a read here,

I'll look into the ohms reading, already ordered new spark plugs. When I opened the front cylinder cap though I could see no water and the seal was still good on it. My drain hole was clogged but since has been cleaned up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.