Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since i got rid of all my gaughes and im using the veypor theirs two things that i still want.........

1. low fuel light
2. overheating light

If i wired up a little light to these wires would they go off when they need too? just splice the wires together? anyone tried this?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Blink?

I'm sure you could wire up the overheat light, and I'm sure you could wire up a low fuel light. Depending on which year you have you have a "Low" and a "Low, Low" light. I'm not enough of an electronics guy to figure out blink and solid. No reason it couldn't be done.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what im thinking, but id like to know if anyones tried it and if it works. id hate to try it out and end up with no gas on the side of the road.

·
Registered
667 Posts
does the fuel light actually blink on purpose? I always thought it was just fuel sloshing and pushing the float or whatever back up, and in turn turning out the fuel light. That's what happens on my Jeep. am I totally wrong?

·
Registered
301 Posts
mario60185 said:
yes it blinks on purpose.
on first gen, blinking is 1.0 - 0.9 gal remaining and solid at 0.5 gal remaining.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My overheating light was replaced by a Daytona Temp gauge, so no help there....although it should work fine. I did ditch all my guages and wired up the oil pressure light and it works great. Unfortunately, there seems to be something in the instrument cluster that keeps the fuel light as easy as hooking up a light to and it works. I looked into it quite a bit and never got a clear answer. I used LED's (couple bucks at Radio Shack) for my oil pressure light and for my neutral light. Still trying to find a way to get the fuel light to work.

For the lights, I drilled holes in a sheet of aluminum, put the led's in and mounted my temp gauge right above them. It works great and looks good (I think so anyway). I ran the wiring through black hi-temp braided loom and wrapped some of my other wiring in the same stuff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well im about to hook up a light for the fuel but i dont know which wire it is. im sure its a wire thats in the gauge harness just dont know which one. then ill buy another light for the temp. how do you know your temp light works unl4ess your bike has overheated?

N

·
0 Posts
mario60185 said:
well im about to hook up a light for the fuel but i dont know which wire it is. im sure its a wire thats in the gauge harness just dont know which one. then ill buy another light for the temp. how do you know your temp light works unl4ess your bike has overheated?
Pull the wire off the temp sender and touch it to the thermostat housing.

The fuel is not going to be as simple as a couple of light bulbs. I'm sure there's an IC in there somewhere.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rasberry

The low fuel light doesn't blink on the 03 it just comes on solid when you are at about 1 gal left. I thought I heard that they brought back the blink feature on the 04+ model, but I am sure someone will correct me about that if I am wrong.

·
Registered
703 Posts
On my 04 the light comes on solid when there's about 1.1 gallons left. It only "blinks" due to fuel sloshing around in the tank at about this stage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts