Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
cardio and situps

that's what i'm trying anyway. I look at it this way: fat forms over the muscles that get the least use, hence most fairly active people don't have fat forearms or calves.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Weight lifting, not just cardio, is best.

Free weights/resistance bands are better than regular machines, they will help build stabilizer muscles. However, you need proper body positioning and understanding what the specific exercise is supposed to do. If you go to a gym, don't follow what people are doing as most people do things wrong.

Gut won't go down a lot until you lose the fat. Don't worry about your *weight* so much because when you start exercising again you'll start building muscle. Your weight may stay the same or decrease a little, but not as much as you like. However, measure your girth and body fat % and it should shrink. Muscle weighs more than fat, so don't get discouraged by that.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Figuring out ways to be generally active is a huge help. Skip the elevator. Ride a bicycle to the store if you just need a few things and it's 2-10 miles away and walk if it's closer.

Drink water instead of any type of soda or tea or coffee. Seriously, try it for a month and see what you think.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Figuring out ways to be generally active is a huge help. Skip the elevator. Ride a bicycle to the store if you just need a few things and it's 2-10 miles away and walk if it's closer.

Drink water instead of any type of soda or tea or coffee. Seriously, try it for a month and see what you think.
If me or mike skipped coffee we wouldn't be conscious enough to operate a computer.

WAIT a minnit! that's your evil plan, ISN'T IT??

;D

srsly, dropping sodas is a great way to lose a lot of empty calories. Coffee isn't too bad if not laden with sugar or cream

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do try and do little things like you said, Shaggy. I don't drink pop at all... maybe once a month, if that. Coffee is my big downfall though. :( Although it's always black. Or very, VERY little sugar.

I always take the stairs, and always walk to the mailbox after work. But I need to do more. Since I'm not riding to work, I need to throw the bicycle in the back of the truck and start stopping by the battlefields in the afternoons.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
If me or mike skipped coffee we wouldn't be conscious enough to operate a computer.

WAIT a minnit! that's your evil plan, ISN'T IT??

;D

srsly, dropping sodas is a great way to lose a lot of empty calories. Coffee isn't too bad if not laden with sugar or cream
Dropping the common, frequent intake of caffeine (which huge numbers of people do) is healthy and greatly increases its effects when needed. You'd be amazed how alert you can be just by sleeping on a consistent schedule and not consuming caffeine. Coffee also makes people smell funny - not just their breath or farts.

Also, don't think switching to the flavored or sparkling waters is not cheating. I've talked to a lot of people who thought they were big water drinkers by drinking those. JUST DRINK WATER... it tastes great and the human body has been surviving off it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm one of the PT leaders for my unit, and the guy I report to (he's a health freak, the number of degrees on his wall are ridiculous) just got back from a week long We're a Bunch of Crazy Professional Health Junkie's conference. So he gets all us all together for a briefing about some of the new studies in weight lose exercises.

Everyone knows cardio is the name of the game. It used to be 30-60 min of a fairly vigorous exercise, running or what-have-you. Well some docs decided to try something new. They started measuring the metabolism of people who only did 10-20 min of high intensity exercise (hardcore circuit training, lots of burn outs with weights) and they found time after time that those people daily, burned 300 more calories even while at rest. The high intensity work outs sped up the metabolism aiding in weight loss.

Sorry for the rant, but that would be your best bet for weight loss. Try sprint drills, circuit training, things like that. If you're willing to spend a little money I'd look into P90x, it's a pretty hefty work out routine that also does short, high energy sessions. A few of my guys follow it and it's been working out pretty well for them. If you would prefer to do this on the cheap, it wouldn't hurt to look into Crossfit. It's a very very hardcore training program with short, difficult exercise routines. I believe the founder is a Marine that wanted people to develop more "useful" muscle, not just the crap you see in competitions.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Weight lifting, not just cardio, is best.

Free weights/resistance bands are better than regular machines, they will help build stabilizer muscles. However, you need proper body positioning and understanding what the specific exercise is supposed to do. If you go to a gym, don't follow what people are doing as most people do things wrong.

Gut won't go down a lot until you lose the fat. Don't worry about your *weight* so much because when you start exercising again you'll start building muscle. Your weight may stay the same or decrease a little, but not as much as you like. However, measure your girth and body fat % and it should shrink. Muscle weighs more than fat, so don't get discouraged by that.
+1 when I was able to go to the gym I spent most of the time doing weights, and a little cardio, I dropped 10 lbs in a month, but also dropped 8% body fat. I've been able to maintain, but want to loose more also.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.