Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been sitting for roughly 6 months and i'm due home on R&R in a week or so. I was wondering since the fluids have about 100 miles on them would it really be necessary to change the them before i got on and forget everything about Iraq? Oh almost forgot the battery still has enough juice to start the bike but it hasn't been on a battery tender or anything of the sorts. Anybody see a problem with just stabbing the key in and getting lost in motorcycling again?

·
Registered
51 Posts
charge the battery and ride the hell out of it, be sure to check the oil after about a hundred miles or so. You should be fine. But if you question the oil (or used th cheap stuff) change it. You should be fine though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome home and ride safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on getting a tender when i get home and i knew i needed one before i left i just didnt have the time to acquire one. No need to thank me for serving. I didnt join to help iraq. i figured i would spend most of my time stateside on disaster relief on the Texas coast but the best laid plans of mice and men ...... Just one more question before i call it a night. What should i do to my SV when i do make it home in a few months? I have frame sliders, new chain and sprockets, but nothing else has been done. Where should i start? I'm think the forks but dont know where to go after that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:hiding2:
Check your pressures & fluids. Get on & enjoy the freedom you provide for the rest of us.
Thanks! :hug:

·
Registered
26 Posts
you should be fine, like everyone else said change the oil, or at least check it and charge the battery and you should be good to go. In the future I would probably put my bike up on front and rear stands to avoid the tires from flat spotting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the subject of rear and front stands. I had three days to pack all my gear and meet up with the unit i was deploying with so i had no time really to prep the bike for storage i had enough time to fill the tank and add some Sta-bil that was about it. My father moves it around every week or so to avoid the tire problem. I plan on getting some before the end of leave to put the bike up on so i dont have to have him roll the thing around in a tiny garage.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
have fun man. Im in baghdad waiting for my return flight. been a long ass deployment here. I think you will be fine. just change the oil on leave that way you wont have to worry bout it when you get back. I didnt put mine on stands because of a gsxr front end and f3 rear wheel i knew I was getting. have fun riding man, i know once i move to elpaso in a few months i will have a blast

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan on having as much fun as I can. I've been in Mosul for 7 months and its getting old. Ok so it unanimous, oil is getting changed, rear seat cowl is going on and probably a set of tires while im at it and have the cash on hand.

Has anyone had any experience with the vortex rear sets? Are they worth the money? I ride mostly to work and back. so they would get a lot of commuting mile on them. I plan on doing a few track days when i get back for good.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
vortex makes good products, cant go wrong wioth them imho. However I wouldnt use my daily as a track bike, I would look into another vehicle preferably one who can tow as a daily so u can play more with the sv

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i have a Ford Ranger with enough room to load the bike in the back. I only plan on doing one maybe two track days a year. Im trying to talk my girl into letting me buy another bike (daytona 675) when i get home but she isn't hearing any of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts