Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking around the site for awhile and today I finally got around to getting a SN. I'm picking up the sv on saturday.
It has 3500 miles and the person sold it to me for 4500. No damage except for a nick on the muffler. Did I get ripped off? Ok I got of track.

Well, I was going to buy a bike brand new in cash, but I figured I can save money buying used then modding it; hence the extra 2500. So what should I do first? I already got a helmet, 2 jackets, 2 pair of gloves and boots. So im ok in the gear department.

I live in North NJ and I dont plan to do any track days. This bike is going to be a weekend backroad burner! I am 5'7 200lbs so I am a short fat guy! I wont be 2upping.

Now, I have a cuzin that I ride with ( he has an 05 600rr and Im always tagging along on his 02 F4i) I dont want be that left in the dust when it comes to a straight line, but I want to dominiate him on the twisties. I have been riding for 3 years and has for 7.

Bottom line: What can I do with $2500 to make this bike a mean machine!
PS. I want to put the fairings on this bike its cool!

·
Registered
369 Posts
first off welcome, copper is the best color. I've dumped in quite a few bucks into my bike. The money best spent though is on supension upgrades. Whether it be a swap or a straight penske, ohlins drop in. Suspension should be your best bet. Glad to see a fellow jersey rider on here man. Let me know whenever you want to ride. I know this weekend a few f us are heading to highpoint area, you should come.

Just some pics of my mods

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
you're gonna get left in the dust on the straights. if you dont want that to happen, get rid of the sv.

as for the rest, it depends on what the bike had on it when you got it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant get rid of it before I get it! Im picking it up on Saturday. I know im going to get left on the straights cause that is just the way it is. I loved the 600rr but its too much dough and its not as much fun as the sv! There is a 99% possiblity that I will not hit the track. I havent in the short period I have been riding and probably wont. I just want the most out of the money im will to shell out for the bike. The one thing out of the 2500 that I know I want are the fairings which is around the 400s leaving 2100 left! OOOHHH what a dilema! All suggestions welcomed!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should get, a good shock ($600) rebuilt forks ($250). Then, spend the rest of your money on cheap leathers ($250 used off ebay) and courses like FAST and Keith Code's courses.

If you want to "trash him" in the twisties, LEARN to do it, no mid will do it for you!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
M4 full system $650
Sticky tires, installed $300
Race Teck emulators and springs $300
Penske shock $900

You are going to get smoked in the straights no matter what, but enough people have set up SV's that there's really no need to reinvent the wheel. Personally, I'd spend the money for lowers on a couple of track days; that plastic is a total waste of $$$...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm with everyone else... The biggest change I noticed was from the suspension upgrades Penske 8981 and redone forks. That would be the best place to start. Oh don't forget that if you buy a full exhaust system are really gonna need a power commander and thats almost another $300 out of your pocket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You don't necessarily need a Power Commander with an SV650 and a pipe. My 03 SVS with an M4 race pipe runs great without it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey, I live in North Jersey also, and just happen to have picked up an SV last week. I'm definatelly going to dump cash into suspension first, and recomend you do the same. Had a YZF before, that bike felt much more refined. It was heavier by a good 50 pounds, but i was quicker and more confident on it. But all this will have to wait till the cold months, for now I'm just gonna ride. If you wanna meet up drop a PM, that goes for all North NJ riders.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Being fairly new to sv's as well, I can't give you much advise, but here's a bit anyway:

Adjust your throttle position sensor (TPS). I bought mine new and it was WAY off. It gave me much more power under 4000 rpms. Won't make you much faster on the twisties, but its essential anyway.

Buy a suzuki gel seat. The stocker will get way too soft after an hour or so, especially at your weight (no offense meant, but at my 170 it already barely did the job). Many people (rightfully) complaint that the suzuki gel seat will smash one's testicles against the tank, but once the seat adjusts to your body there's no problem. For a couple of weeks I sat where I wanted to, not where the seat wanted me to, and nowadays the seat is molded perfectly to my body: I can even slide foward or backward if I want, with no disconfort. Oh, and it's very affordable at oneida suzuki:
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=270

Good luck,

André

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have one of those gel seats that the previous owner used for 300 miles. I took it off and don't plan to use it...

·
Registered
117 Posts
suspension is a must, race-tech springs and 15W fork oil will do wonders. see how you like that before you spend the $$$ on emulators. don't forget SS brake lines and upgrade your pads. +1 on the gel seat. frame sliders might be a wise investment. also buy the book "a twist of the wrist 2" and read it more than once. enjoy your SV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts