Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts
I really love my job. I've been working as a programmer in a local machine shop for almost 5 years now, and the flexibility of the hours lets me go to school without problems. The work is really rewarding, and at the end of the day it's really satisfying to actually have created something to show for all of my time.

Unfortunately, the manufacturing industry is taking a hit just like everybody else. We laid off 2 of 4 employees at the end of last year, and the shop next door laid off 8 of 12. My hours got cut last month, and we're in a situation where I literally just sit by the phone waiting for a customer to place an order so I can leap into action at a moments notice.

It's nice having some spare time in the middle of the day to go riding and run errands, but that's what the weekend is for. Not having enough work is creates far more stress than having too much.

I would like my job, except for my boss. He thinks he's A. a designer B. a programmer C. a usability expert. I can understand he must be under a lot of pressure because his boss is clueless but he's got a ton of creative smart people who he doesn't let make decisions... but who get blamed when mistakes happen... as if we are machines or something.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.