Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my SV K6 for about four years now. Along the way I've made a number of carefully-considered mods... the Werkes clucth basket (great).. a Penske shock... Sonic springs...Corbin seat...CNC handlebar conversion kit... yadda yadda.

But the one issue that still bites my bullet is the HIGH FOOTPEG position.

I am NOT racing my SV at Daytona; I am a Sport-Tourer. Those pegs are so high that for me to scrape the feelers would take an Act of Rossi. Meanwhile, I am cramping-up on daytrips, and the ergos are so weird, from the Corbin being slightly lower...those Super Sport-position pegs.. and the raised handlebars... that I feel like a dog squatting on its haunches with its front paws up on the table.

Any peg lowering "fixs" I have seen so far involve a "Z" configuration where the peg bracket has to come OUTBOARD before it can drop down...resulting in one's feet being splayed outwards two or so inches.. making it a pigeon-toe affair just to reach the controls.

It looks like I could buy an extra pair of brackets and start cutting them up somehow... then weld them on to the stock mounting brackets.. and bring the assemblies down and forward (two inches each way would be lovely)... but the brake light tab would have to be replaced, (contact the muffler), and the shift linkage arm might have to be shortened.

Has ANYONE ever done such a mod sucessfully.. that doesn't leave your feet splayed outwards?

When I first sat on an SV1000 at the NY motorcycle show in 2003, I was sadly disappointed at the ergos... still am to this day.

Does EVERYONE ride an SV like a GSXR?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've owned my SV K6 for about four years now. Along the way I've made a number of carefully-considered mods... the Werkes clucth basket (great).. a Penske shock... Sonic springs...Corbin seat...CNC handlebar conversion kit... yadda yadda.

But the one issue that still bites my bullet is the HIGH FOOTPEG position.

I am NOT racing my SV at Daytona; I am a Sport-Tourer. Those pegs are so high that for me to scrape the feelers would take an Act of Rossi. Meanwhile, I am cramping-up on daytrips, and the ergos are so weird, from the Corbin being slightly lower...those Super Sport-position pegs.. and the raised handlebars... that I feel like a dog squatting on its haunches with its front paws up on the table.

Any peg lowering "fixs" I have seen so far involve a "Z" configuration where the peg bracket has to come OUTBOARD before it can drop down...resulting in one's feet being splayed outwards two or so inches.. making it a pigeon-toe affair just to reach the controls.

It looks like I could buy an extra pair of brackets and start cutting them up somehow... then weld them on to the stock mounting brackets.. and bring the assemblies down and forward (two inches each way would be lovely)... but the brake light tab would have to be replaced, (contact the muffler), and the shift linkage arm might have to be shortened.

Has ANYONE ever done such a mod sucessfully.. that doesn't leave your feet splayed outwards?

When I first sat on an SV1000 at the NY motorcycle show in 2003, I was sadly disappointed at the ergos... still am to this day.

Does EVERYONE ride an SV like a GSXR?
The bracket you've described is made by svracingparts.com available here https://www.svracingparts.com/store/Suzuki-SV650-SV650s-1999---2014-Adjustable-Rear-Set-Riser-Plates-p3103870 .

The plates are only 1/4 inch thick, but keep in mind that the bike has limitations as to how far the pegs can be moved down.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I know it isn't quite answering your question, but I'll suggest doing what I did: raise the seat.

Unless you have issues touching the ground, my opinion is that a higher seat is helpful on the street.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The PO put Buell pegs on my SV650s before I got it and they work great. There is still a mile of ground clearance and I find them to be quite comfortable. I'm a 34" inseam for reference.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I know it isn't quite answering your question, but I'll suggest doing what I did: raise the seat.

Unless you have issues touching the ground, my opinion is that a higher seat is helpful on the street.
I raised the front on the seat on my 03 about 2 inches using a few bolts as spacers and it's probably the best mod I've done to my bike. My seat is now flat, much easier to lock onto the bike and I don't move under hard braking. How did you raise your seat?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I raised the front on the seat on my 03 about 2 inches using a few bolts as spacers and it's probably the best mod I've done to my bike. My seat is now flat, much easier to lock onto the bike and I don't move under hard braking. How did you raise your seat?
I have a custom subframe with a seat off a Ducati Monster. Not the easy way, that's for sure.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FOOTPEGS

I came across someone who said I can use SV650N K3 footpeg brackets to lower my pegs effectively... but I forgot where I read it.

Anyone here know if that's true.. before I go ahead and splurge $150?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That's what I've read as well, haven't done it myself.

Look at pictures of an 03 650N and you'll see that they have significantly lower/farther forward pegs vs later bikes

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OOPS

I ordered the L and R footpeg brackets from the 2003 (K3) 650...

The right side (at least) DOES NOT FIT my 06 SV1000S.

It is an entirely different configuration... requiring a completely different footpeg type.. and shifting gear also.

I ordered the part numbers as posted on the Other Forum...

Does anyone know where I went wrong? Maybe the "K4" model..?

Right now I have to return the parts... at a loss!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed from pictures that the K3 pegs were a bit different than the 05+. Also read that the K4 pegs might be similar to the K3, even though the brackets were more relaxed than the K3.

Have you tried the Buell XB dropped pegs for around $40? 1" straight down supposedly, just have to shave the mounts a bit to fit.

Another option I'm curious if anyone has tried is flipping the fixed riser plates, such as the ones from SVRacingParts? Kind of worried they might interfere with the exhaust on the SV1K...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I HAVE tried some of the aftermarket (read: Chinese) footpegs that claim lower position... the problem there was that they come outwards in a "Z"... the mount sticks out an extra inch or whatever, THEN the drop. What this does is to force your feet to splay out to the sides farther... then you have to pigeon-toe inwards to reach the controls. That wasn't for me at all..
...And I think the Buell pegs are the same . (?)

PLATES: I have a pair of those... the only way to make them fit on my '06 would be to fabricate spacers that would bring them out from the frame mounts almost an inch.

Then, the heavy leverage on the assembly could come into question - say, when standing up on the pegs for example... it would put some intense pressure on the parts to bend inwards. If I can get the spacers made, I'll try it.

These things were advertised as RISERS.. not "lowerers"...

Anyone else ever try these units ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased a pair of '03 650 "N"-model peg brackets... cost almost $150... plus found that you need to change the shifter and footpeg mount as well (to early SV parts).

Okay... got that together... bought everything... haven't mounted them yet
..but one thing looks clear so far:

You get 1" FORWARD... with NO apparent DROP.

That is a disappointment... lets see how it feels when mounted up.

And The Beat Goes On

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
If you need more legroom...and can't lower the pegs in a comfortable way, about the only way left is to raise the seat. 'Take the mountain to Mohamed' so to speak.:)

I really like the Sargent over stock or Suzuki Gel as it's about as low as possible so you sit down 'in' the bike rather than perched up 'on' it...but if your legs need more distance you should be able to come up with an inch or more to make them happy and make the buttocks smile too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've read that Sargent will build in some additional height on request (up to 1", I believe).

Not sure if it costs more than their regular seat to have them do that, though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts