Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a nice 1 hour ride after work tonight, enjoyed the weather and had a nice time. The gladius is my first (ever) bike, and I have had it just over one month. I've only logged 500 or so street miles. Even being new, I have been pretty happy with myself about learning this new thing. I am feeling more comfortable on the bike every time I ride, although I know I'm still a beginner.

Tonight, disaster. The ride was awesome! :rock:
When I pull into my driveway, I stop and unlock my car to hit the garage door opener. Obviously, this involves putting the bike on the side stand. My driveway is gently sloped, and tonight when I put the bike on the stand, I didn't quite kick it all the way out before I started leaning over.....

carnage is thankfully light, and solely cosmetic
clutch lever, mirror scuff, turn signal, bar end weight (not pictured)

2012-06-01_19-13-56_905 by queendana84, on Flickr

2012-06-01_19-13-18_517 by queendana84, on Flickr

2012-06-01_19-13-33_687 by queendana84, on Flickr

At least I know that I can pick this bike up by myself fairly easily.
:angry5:
I am beyond angry at myself.

anyone know a cheap clutch lever or turn sig replacment? I dont have a lot of $ right now. I might just leave it as is

·
Registered
458 Posts
It gives personality. :eek:ccasion14:

Happens to everyone

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used to have a 68 Honda Scrambler. The kickstand was at too upright of an angle due to an old injury. I got in the habit of kicking that thing forward every dang time to make sure it was secure. I have kept the habit with the SV and it has saved me at least twice on sloped, uneven ground.

·
Registered
664 Posts
First day I had bought mine from the dealer brand spanking new. I visited my parents house the same evening. Was about to drive home, and my mother follow me out and talking to me whilst I was unlocking the bike. I was finally ready to roll off. I got about half a meter and instant stop and the front would dive. I fell over on the side. Managed to partly soften the fall by holding on to it. Broke the bake lever, scuffed the pipe, scuffed the bar end on the handle bar, minor scuff on the front fork tube bottom.

I had forgotten to remove the front brake disc lock. Yaaaay! Owning it less than 24h and already been dropped!

Now though I never think of it until someone asks me "Did you ever drop it?". I've changed all those parts now except the front fork tube which is pretty much impossible to spot. It's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh, and I used to own a Kawasaki EN500 before. Had it dropped because of kickstand as you mention. Had crashbars though and also this time I was still holding on to it so no real visible damage at all from what I can recollect.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The little mistakes we make are the biggest learning experinces we have... It won't be the last time you drop it...

Fix and ride again.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had the kickstand thing happen to me to once, however I was just parking next close to another motorcycle so mine was leaning into the other one and I was able to pull it upright again before both would fall over. Luckily leaning into the other bikes caused no scratches on any of them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Adds character and fond memories!!! Just be thankful the bikes of today have a kickstand engine kill switch!!!
Many years ago I had a Suzuki GT250 , I took off with the side stand UP!!! Boy Racers/adrenalin etc etc, and yep the first bend was a sharp lefty!! You can imagine the carnage. :rock:

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...it's not IF you go down it's WHEN you'll go down....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I came to a stop sign where the road sloped sharply on the right side. I did not notice this until I tried to put my right foot down. Down it went. Luckily it was pretty much the same kind of damage you have. It was a good reason to buy some new fancy levers. Also when I had my drz400s i fell over at like 5 stops signs because it was just to tall for me. Glad I sold it and bought the Gladius.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments every body. More than anything else, my ego was damaged!

I figured this wasn't too uncommon; I guess going forward I'll check the darn kickstand before leaning it over. The OEM clutch lever is only $16 so I will order one of those. Might have to pick up some new front turn signals though, the OEM part is $60 for one side!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
when i got my 05 SV, the salesman told me to MAKE SURE THE STAND IS ALL THE WAY DOWN...lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
First day I had bought mine from the dealer brand spanking new. I visited my parents house the same evening. Was about to drive home, and my mother follow me out and talking to me whilst I was unlocking the bike. I was finally ready to roll off. I got about half a meter and instant stop and the front would dive. I fell over on the side. Managed to partly soften the fall by holding on to it. Broke the bake lever, scuffed the pipe, scuffed the bar end on the handle bar, minor scuff on the front fork tube bottom.

I had forgotten to remove the front brake disc lock. Yaaaay! Owning it less than 24h and already been dropped!

Now though I never think of it until someone asks me "Did you ever drop it?". I've changed all those parts now except the front fork tube which is pretty much impossible to spot. It's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh, and I used to own a Kawasaki EN500 before. Had it dropped because of kickstand as you mention. Had crashbars though and also this time I was still holding on to it so no real visible damage at all from what I can recollect.
Ha. Thanks for reminding me of this. My wife has an Kawasaki EX500r as her learning bike. When she first started out last year she dropped it like 4 or 5 times while standing still so I stocked up on levers and turn signals because I was sick of always ordering them when she dropped it. She hasn't dropped it since and now my garage looks like an EX500 parts store.

·
Registered
664 Posts
goallight> lol :)
Well maybe she stopped dropping it as an effect of you stocking up? I mean, if you hadn't stocked up she might have kept dropping it :p

So what I'm saying is, maybe it served a purpose after all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dropped mine today too, and the OES frame sliders I had ordered were coming in on Monday. I was moving at about 15mph about to take a turn when the front tire skid in the gravel. The bike got scratches on the radiator fairing, tank and my two brothers exhaust. It fell on the right side and both brake lever and brake pedal and indicators broke and the handle bar is slightly bent. *Sigh*

I don't know if the handlebar can be fixed, or should I just order a new one? Any suggestions? Also are the indicators from ebay any good?

This was my first >200cc bike. I have fallen multiple times on my old bike but it never felt so terrible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dropped mine today too, and the OES frame sliders I had ordered were coming in on Monday. I was moving at about 15mph about to take a turn when the front tire skid in the gravel. I got a light bruise on the palm. The bike got scratches on the radiator fairing, tank and my two brothers exhaust. It fell on the right side and both brake lever and brake pedal and indicators broke and the handle bar is slightly bent. *Sigh*

I don't know if the handlebar can be fixed, or should I just order a new one? Any suggestions? Also are the indicators from ebay any good?

This was my first >200cc bike. I have fallen multiple times on my old bike but it never felt so terrible.
Sorry about the spill, it happens...
Look at these bars. I had "H" before a "too close encounter" :) with a Honda CRV bent it beyond repair. I liked it a lot since it put a lot of weight on the front and also helped with high speed turn accuracy. For the price its just a steal:)
http://bikemaster.com/handlebars.html

Here you can find OEM parts
http://www.suzukipart.com/

Radiator covers are at this link
http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/...(2009)/FRAME_BODY_COVER/023000001/56023000041

Tank covers
http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/...9)/FUEL_TANK_SIDE_COVER/023000001/56023000037

Levers
http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/...650_(2009)/HANDLE_LEVER/023000001/56023000046

With aftermarket turn signals you will have to do some modding,cutting and sometimes use a relay or resistors (if LED). Not rocket science:)

Good luck with the repairs/mods. Consider it a perfect time to customize your ride even more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all that info, especially on the handlebars.

Are aluminium handlebars better than steel ones since they are lighter? A lot of people here seem to have installed Renthals, are they worth the 3 times the price?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for all that info, especially on the handlebars.

Are aluminium handlebars better than steel ones since they are lighter? A lot of people here seem to have installed Renthals, are they worth the 3 times the price?
Its my pleasure to help you. Renthal is a big name in dirt bike world, hence the price. I guess a lighter handlebar (aluminum) will vibrate less. I am not sure. Mine is steel and to "cure" the vibration issues (around 6500RPM) I put Busa weights. Issues solved:)) Btw the OEM bar is steel as well...go figure:)
Once again, GOOD LUCK:rock:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts