Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising on a busy street and turning into the left turn lane when I got rear-ended by a car. Apparently, the car decided to take a shortcut before the opening of the left turn lane and crossed the double-yellows because there were a couple of cars in front of him.

When I entered the left turn lane I was only going about 5-10 mph, but it must've been too slow for the shortcut guy. I heard brakes screeching and I turn my head to check my rearview mirror. But all I saw was sky. The guy had already bumped into my back tire scooting my bike forward and jolting me backwards into a flip. I landed on the tips of my toes on the front of his hood.. but my front body still crashed forward into the hood -- like I had tripped forward. Okay, so it wasn't a complete flip.. more like a 4/5 or 290 degree flip. The guy had just washed/waxed his car and I would like to think in my had that had it been dirty, I could've got some footing and remained upright. I could've looked like a badass. =]

Anyway, I didn't really suffer any injuries and while my bike slid a bit, it was saved by the frame sliders. Aside from some scrapes on the pucks, there was no damage on the bike. The guy's BMW on the other hand had 2 dents from where my foot landed, and 1 big dent from where my shoulder/arm/chest landed. The guy was extremely sorry and apologized profusely. So I let it go and we both drove off.

I was wearing almost full gear with the exception of cargo pants (not shorts!) and work boots.

In hindsight, this was really my fault. I *should've* checked my left rear-mirror BEFORE entering the left turn lane. But I didn't. So folks, learn from me and make sure you check your five/six before turning into the left turn lane.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Maybe we should have sent you to the olympics

I'd get his insurance comany to have someone give your bike a full look. I have a hard time believing that your bike is as good as you claim after something like that.
^^^ agreed, if you go thrown off the bike id be concerned about the back of my bike.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd also get the "it was really my fault" part out of your post.... Just sayin'

(glad you are okay)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a visual inspection. Admittedly, I didn't do a thorough nuts and bolts check, but it all looked okay with nothing bent. And it rode just fine going home with nothing out of the ordinary.

In either case, we did exchange info in case I may have some residual injuries later. I had thought about getting a check-up but I'm not experiencing any sort of pain. And really, the impact wasn't that bad. It seemed kind of like falling off a dirt bike.

Maybe we should have sent you to the olympics
Yeah, if I had landed on my feet properly -- but I didn't. Maybe the Special Olympics might be more apt? ;D

·
Registered
832 Posts
The guy had already bumped into my back tire scooting my bike forward and jolting me backwards into a flip. I landed on the tips of my toes on the front of his hood.. but my front body still crashed forward into the hood -- like I had tripped forward. Okay, so it wasn't a complete flip.. more like a 4/5 or 290 degree flip.
How did your butt clear the rear seat? How did your feet go from 1 foot off the ground to 30" off the ground and land on his hood? If your toes landed on the front of his hood and your chest landed on his hood that means you did an about face in mid air?

He hit you hard enough to make you flip, yet there was no damage to your bike? I would expect a bent rim minimum.

Either I am not understanding what you wrote or............BS

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd also get the "it was really my fault" part out of your post.... Just sayin'
While technically, it's not my fault. But in all honesty, it all could have been prevented if I had just checked my mirrors.

How did your butt clear the rear seat? How did your feet go from 1 foot off the ground to 30" off the ground and land on his hood? If your toes landed on the front of his hood and your chest landed on his hood that means you did an about face in mid air?
He hit you hard enough to make you flip, yet there was no damage to your bike? I would expect a bent rim minimum.
Either I am not understanding what you wrote or............BS
I didn't flip while on the bike, I must've flipped while in the air. And I don't believe it was a complete straight backflip as my body was turned when I impacted the hood. I am extremely skinny so it doesn't take much to move me. In fact, I probably weigh the same as a small petite women and could probably be a poster boy for malnourishment in some African country. =X

Truth be told, I did a quick cursory check on the rim but was more moreover checking the tire. I will definitely do a more thorough check on the rim. But if the rim was even very slightly bent, would it be noticeable in the ride?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Take you bike to a shop, and yourself to a doctor. If something is amiss and you don't catch it now, you could very well end up paying the price (dollars or pain) yourself. Never underestimate your body's ability to cope with injuries for a small time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts