Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great fall ride yesterday afternoon, I was moving the SV back into the garage. So, I click it into N (feels a touch odd) and start the crabwalk. I'm turning it around when suddenly I hear a clunk and the bike stops dead...

Nearly the victim of a false neutral, sitting still. I later realized that I forgot that I checked the chain in N and must have gone between 2nd and 3rd for the falsie.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
False neutrals can happen by not 'shifting like you mean it'. Mostly - for me at least, it's been about not paying enough attention. Shifting lightly and hammering the throttle right after the shift..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a technical explanation regarding forks/dogs not totally engaging or something to that effect but it boils down to what Ruefus said. Except, in my situation, the bike was not running and I was shifting like I meant to get neutral (light tap).

I maybe wasn't explicit on this, but it had never occurred to me that false neutrals would happen with the engine off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nimbus said:
I maybe wasn't explicit on this, but it had never occurred to me that false neutrals would happen with the engine off.
Yep, has happened to me once or twice too... Thankfully I've never dropped it from that, and you didn't either!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts