Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

I feel like a million bucks!!

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  lt1 
#1 ·
Well folks, I popped my cherry and took my bike out for my first solo ride ever!

Did the course two weeks ago, road test was this past sunday afternoon, and went to the registry office just as a three day rainstorm rolled into town. So I spent the last few days pining for the open road and teaching myself via Youtube to do electrical soldering and installing flushmount front turn signals.

Finally this afternoon, the stars aligned and off I went to the wild highways and byways of the nation for my shakedown cruise!

I had never ridden a motorcycle before doing the course. The course included one group ride with an instructor on the road, and then a 20 minute loop around town on a CBR125 with the examiner following behind. However, today I was on my own! Nowhere to go, but a tank of fuel and all day to get there. I putted around the neighbourhood for about 20 minutes, practicing shifting gears and remembering to cancel my turn signals, all that good stuff, then out onto the commuter highway (Just before rush hour!) to my sister's place for a couple hours to visit and play with her kids, and have a show-off session. by the time I rolled up into the driveway, I had put about 45 km on her for my first time as an official, duly appointed and gubbermint certified MOTORCYCLIST!

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome, I did the teach myself to solder via youtube as well recently for my turn signals. Nothing like leaning into your bike and saying "here goes nothing, hope I got this right" :) Although I learned the hard way not to breath while leaned over into the tail right above where I am soldering. I wish they actually took us on the road here for our courses, but they just ride you around a parking lot, felt like I did 40 miles per day and never left the parking lot :p.

Sounds like you are having a blast, I loved that first time I got on my bike and rode it on the streets. Even the odd torrential downpour I got stuck in couldn't dampen my spirits.

#13 ·
Grats on popping your cherry!! Glad it didn't hurt or anything... I did my first ride yesterday on my bike and my wife was making fun of me cause I told her "I'm a biker now babe"... Cause when a few other motorcyclists do the ol wave passing by and I wave back like a badass... we have "a understanding". lol

#18 ·
I know just what you mean. I've seen your posts and threads, just hang in there bud.

After a lifetime of waiting I FINALLY got my bike, gear, and passed the msf just to have the DMV screw up and tell me I had a huge ticket and couldn't get my endorsement. Months later I (again) finally got that situated and am now riding daily.

One of the things I find interesting about motorcycling is that it is COMPLETELY different than what I thought it would be. You can read and watch videos for 1000 years and still not know what it's really like. In some ways it's not as great as I expected, if I'm honest, but in most it is much more.

The very worst part of motorcycling? A 2k dollar bike has rendered my 500hp very expensive (what I've put into it!) truck almost completely boring! Don't get me wrong, it's much faster than the little sv, but it doesn't lean like her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.