Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get on here everyday and read about everyones issues ! I bought my 01 off a WERA racer in 2011 I dont the history of this bike before the racer had it he raced it a couple years and won on it ! It is bone stock except for pipe and being jetted . I have never had an issue with this bike 3 lowsides last year and an 80+ off 2 weeks ago at Gateway that messed me up but minimal damage to bike ! I went out hit the start button and fired right up runs like a scalded dog ! So anyway I feel for everyone thyat has issues with their 1st Gens I guess I got one that is bullet and everything else proof !!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good for you! Mines been good too until my last dump on a trackday a couple months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
...I bought my 01 off a WERA racer in 2011 I dont the history of this bike before the racer had it he raced it a couple years and won on it ! It is bone stock except for pipe and being jetted ...
Bone stock suspension? :dizzy: Did he race it with a stock suspension?

I'd sure like to know who the racer was and what he won...

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bone stock suspension? :dizzy: Did he race it with a stock suspension?

I'd sure like to know who the racer was and what he won...
Well it did have traxxion internals in the front but stock rear I have a Penske triple on it now . His name was Jim and lives close to Mid Ohio raceway he raced it with AHMRA

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Oh Jesus, WHO CARES?
Not sure why your panties are in a bunch. I think it is important for people to know that the SV stock suspension is not dangerous, not crap, not bound to cause bikes to esplode, and I was delighted to hear that races could be won on it by someone who knows how to ride. I was a little disappointed to hear that the "bone stock" suspension described was not exactly bone stock.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
yes... everything is relative. And relative to the suspension in just about any other sport oriented bike, the stock suspension in the SV is CRAP.

But if all a rider does is is putt around on crap suspension and they never throw a leg over a bike with suspension that's actually worth a damn to actually GET that sense of relativity, then of course they'll never know that.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry I started such a controversy the sv suspension is **** but adequate for the everyday rider the rear on mine was fine for a while but as my speed and ability increased I started wearing tires out so i went with a Penske triple . I now have the problem of setting it up for different tracks but am figuring it out . So anyway the SV suspension is crap and its not . just depends on your ability some can use all of it and then some and some cannot !

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
What do you mean by "sport oriented"?
Any bike that might actually be worth turning into a race bike.

With the exception of an EX500 or EX250, I can't think of a modern sport oriented bike that can be converted into a reasonably decent race bike that came from the factory with worse stock suspension.

Does it get the job done? Of course it does. Have I ridden bikes with WORSE suspension? Of course I have. But that doesn't make it not crappy.

Now stop taking things so personally.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Any bike that might actually be worth turning into a race bike.

With the exception of an EX500 or EX250, I can't think of a modern sport oriented bike that can be converted into a reasonably decent race bike that came from the factory with worse stock suspension.

Does it get the job done? Of course it does. Have I ridden bikes with WORSE suspension? Of course I have. But that doesn't make it not crappy.

Now stop taking things so personally.

What makes you think I'm taking things personally? I'm not and I hope you're not. You have your opinions, I have mine. In the last 54 years I've ridden many bikes with far worse suspensions than the SV650. I've also ridden some that have more updated and more adjustable suspensions. I've owned a bone stock SV at the same time that I've owned one that Traxxion set up for me with RaceTech emus/springs and a new Penske rear, and I know the difference it makes. I have obviously had before and after comparisons on both bikes as well. My experience was that both bikes, an '02 and an '05, were fun as all dickens to ride aggressively in their stock form. I have a home in North Georgia and I ride frequently in the mountains and I don't think I'm particularly slow or timid for a street rider. So when you say the suspension is crap, I just wonder what your frame of reference is. For a race bike I would have to defer to your experience...I'm sure the SV is better served with upgrades, but for street riding up to a point that IMHO includes the vast majority of what people do, the stock suspension can deliver lots of happy corners.

The reason the discussion interests me at all is because over the years here there have been lots of threads like:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162211

where people automatically start suggesting "upgrading" the suspension as the solution to a problem that may have nothing to do with the suspension and have all to do with tires, operator skill, or something imagined, or in some cases to a bike with 20,000 miles on the stock kit that has been ridden like a sumo.

I'm also not sold on the argument that newbs or habitually unskilled riders can benefit from an upgraded suspension as much as a racer or an experienced rider because of the confidence it gives. Lots of riders have confidently crashed their upgraded bikes thinking that they are now Rossi. In sailing we have a saying about deep keels vs shoal keels...you just run aground in deeper water. I think it creates unwarranted expectations for people who do it before they learn to corner. Lots of times it just gives someone who crashed on the stock kit an excuse for having done something stupid.

Maybe our expectations and our experiences are very different, but I don't think the stock suspension is crap and you do. Let's leave it at that because I'm right (j/k).

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is'nt this pretty much what I said in less words ?????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts