Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the bulk of the day in the foundry at 115+ temps all day and walking outside to 96 degree temps, I decided to turn into a bit of a hypocrite and stash my JR jacket in the tailbag to ride home. I was much cooler, but the cross winds were still hot, even at highway speed.

But I don't know if I'll ever really ride without a jacket on. I felt naked and exceedingly vulnerable. I know it was in my mind, but it seemed like people were much closer at stoplights. I was much less aggressive while riding (don't laugh Dan, I was even slower than normal) because I didn't have the jacket on. For the life of me, I can not fathom the squids and the RUBs never wearing a jacket. It's not comfortable having the full blast of wind on your arms and chest, your shirt drumming on your back and being that close to needing a skin graft.

But heatstroke is no fun either, After I post this, I'm surfing over to New Enough to look for a mesh

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I hear ya. For me, it's not so much the temp, but rather the very large bugs and rocks that always seem to find their way onto my helmet or torso/arms. I caught a bug the other day at the very edge of the neck on my jacket. This thing was so big, I thought it was a bird. I'm so glad I didn't catch it in the neck. I do feel very strange and cautious when I do ride anywhere without a jacket, even if it's just down to the corner to get some air in the tires at the gas station.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I've been riding alot lately without my jacket or pants. Probably started a new bad habit. But seriously, its so hot at times that even a T-shirt isnt good enough. AKA too hot to ride. Yea I can feel with the wind better, but its like a hot blow dryer, only making me sweat more. In fact, I think if I had wind protection like my leather jacket, I might be cooler even. Who knows.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unless they're just ignorant, squids and RUBs do it because they care more about the image than riding. I was riding down the highway the other week, and had my mesh half open. Even then I couldn't stand the wind whipping my t-shirt against my nips.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in the same boat.  It's 98 degrees today and I don't like riding without gear.  It just feels wrong.  Maybe I'm too attached to skin ;D.

I'm also looking at a perf jacket.  Something like the Joe Rocket Super ego without the panels in place.  I have the A-Stars TZ-1 but above 85 degrees in traffic it's too much.  A lether/mesh jacket would be nice.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ignorance is bliss. I rode my fisrt summer in a T. I had never tried a perf jacket. My denim jacket was hot. JR Phoenix wasn't out then. Then I bought a perf leather jacket, now I feel naked w/o.

O

·
0 Posts
You guys shopping for cool weather jackets should look at perf leather coats. The nylon ones are no cooler than a full perf leather coat, and the leather offer WAY more protection.

K

·
0 Posts
I almost never wear a jacket or gloves...unless its cold, lol.

Yes, there is always that feeling of "wow, its going to hurt like a biiiitch if I go down", and then I remember the horrible road rash I had and I think "wow, I sure don't want that again..that was torture!", then I start thinking about how much fun I am having and all those unpleasant thoughts melt away in the midsummer heat. Ya...I will most likely be covered in road rash again, but to me its worth the pain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oxi-Rider said:
You guys shopping for cool weather jackets should look at perf leather coats.  The nylon ones are no cooler than a full perf leather coat, and the leather offer WAY more protection.
I disagree somewhat. I have both a fully perforated leather suit and a mesh jacket. I agree that when riding at speed, the perforated leather was just as, if not more, cool and breezy as my mesh jacket. However, for slow city riding the leather was just awful, whereas the mesh was much much better (though still not great).

Obviously the perf leather is going to give you much more protection, but I find my mesh to be much more comfortable when Im just messing around int he city at slow speeds.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
yeah,i have to confess,i've been rideing more and more without my JR jacket.It's been crazy hott/humid lately,so i just wear a t-shirt.I do find i'm less agressive and alot more cautious without the jacket though,so maybe that's a good thing... ::)

i think when i have the funds i'll invest in a perf jacket as well...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Kaxter said:
I almost never wear a jacket or gloves...unless its cold, lol.

Yes, there is always that feeling of "wow, its going to hurt like a biiiitch if I go down", and then I remember the horrible road rash I had and I think "wow, I sure don't want that again..that was torture!", then I start thinking about how much fun I am having and all those unpleasant thoughts melt away in the midsummer heat. Ya...I will most likely be covered in road rash again, but to me its worth the pain.
I can't even fathom how much of an idiot you have to be to think like that! ::) What the HELL is so bad about wearing gear that you'd take the risk of doing the retarded things you do without it?!?!?! I could almost understand it if you'd never gone down and gotten rashed up before ans simply didn't know any better... but the fact that you have - and you STILL think (to use that term loosley) like you do just blows my mind.

I really hope for your sake you're a troll and not as stupid as you sound.

Oh... and by the way... someone posted a larger picture of that shot of your girlfriend (or whatever) holding the gun a few days ago. You should tell her to keep her finger off the trigger when she's posing like that before she shoots herself in the leg - or worse. ...and please don't say "it wasn't loaded" (not that I'd be surprised).

Unbelievable...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Poe said:
I really hope for your sake you're not as stupid as you sound.
he is ;D

I rode around for about 30 minutes the other day with leather jacket, jeans, boots, gloves, helmet in 90+ weather... it wasn't bad at all... as long as I was moving. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
when it is 92 degrees out you are gonna sweat anyway...especially if it is humid, might as well have a jacket on .... ::) (my experience riding in Gainesville, FL and now Tampa in the summer)

i know a guy at work that has the "if i get hit it doesnt matter what i'm wearing" mentality...as for me...if i get involved in a minor accident, i want to maximize the chance that i will receive as few injuries as possible....if it's a major accident maybe i live, maybe i die, maybe i get maimed...through some gear and how you ride you can pretty much eliminate alot of the hazard...

and there will always be the chance that some drunk or old lady won't see you and hit you or whatever...you just have to make the choice whether you want to go down w/ leathers, mesh, or nothing

I wear a Cortech GX Air jacket and Gloves...don't have riding pants but i wear jeans and a pair of doc martin boots and my shoei x-11 evertime i ride

when it is really hot, it's only uncomfortable when you are stopped for a light or a stop sign etc....as long as your moving, the mesh is like wearing nothing IMO

·
Registered
63 Posts
heheh.. now you didn't tell him in a Politically Correct way that he's gone..

I got grilled over that very same thing like a week ago..

just a heads up for the flames...

I never thought I'd see a time in this area (southwestern va) that it would be too hot to wear un-perfed leathers... but geeez it's been hot for this area the last 3 weeks.

We did a track day at VIR.. and of friggin course it was the hottest damn day of the year here so far.. 102 degrees... ugh.. misery, true misery is sitting in full un-perfed black leather in 102 degree heat for 5 minutes in the pits waiting to get on the track.

I quite 2 sessions a few minutes early and we skipped the last session altogether... a great track day.. but it was unbelievably hot...

It's been mid/high 90's basically every day.. I haven't really rode since.. went a time or two in the afternoon though.. hehe.

too hot for leathers, too hot to ride... whoever said that.. I'm with ya!

·
Registered
82 Posts
You think it's hot riding in this weather? I went to the rifle range today to practice for an upcoming match. It was 91 degrees before I put on my sweatshirt and shooting jacket, hat and hearing protection. to lay in the sun for 22 minutes without moving. I think I sweated out 50lbs.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
dhuze said:
You think it's hot riding in this weather? I went to the rifle range today to practice for an upcoming match. It was 91 degrees before I put on my sweatshirt and shooting jacket, hat and hearing protection. to lay in the sun for 22 minutes without moving. I think I sweated out 50lbs.
why did you wear the sweatshirt and jacket? ... ?? . . ... ?? :-\

K

·
0 Posts
Poe said:
I can't even fathom how much of an idiot you have to be to think like that!  ::)  What the HELL is so bad about wearing gear that you'd take the risk of doing the retarded things you do without it?!?!?!  I could almost understand it if you'd never gone down and gotten rashed up before ans simply didn't know any better... but the fact that you have - and you STILL think (to use that term loosley) like you do just blows my mind.

I really hope for your sake you're a troll and not as stupid as you sound.

Oh... and by the way... someone posted a larger picture of that shot of your girlfriend (or whatever) holding the gun a few days ago.  You should tell her to keep her finger off the trigger when she's posing like that before she shoots herself in the leg - or worse.  ...and please don't say "it wasn't loaded" (not that I'd be surprised).

Unbelievable...
I'm just not a pussy like you I guess, lol. Why is it a big deal if I dont care about the pain? Ya it sucks, but get over it already. The pussification of American men is just amazing to me. "Waaaaaaaaaa.....some guy I dont even know that lives 1000 miles away from me might get road roash again, my vagina hurts."

And the gun the girl is holding is a single action .45 with the hammer NOT COCKED. The gun CANT SHOOT unless the hammer is cocked...yet another sign that you are one of "those" kind of guys...the ones with the designer shoulder "man bags", and the cutest pair of trendy shoes.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I would LOVE to be there the next time you go down and end up with rash all over your body. I'd LOVE to see how much you DIDN'T care about the pain then. Maybe you'll lose your tits like your buddy did. Maybe your jimmy will get caught on a curb or something. Make sure one of your other buddies takes lots of rash pics of both you and your (currently) nice R6.

Tool. ::)

K

·
0 Posts
Lol, the last wreck my buddy had he was...medium rashed I would say...and he hopped back up on the bike and posed for bloody pics! His knee was ground to the bone. In all the pics he has a giant toothy grin.

My idea of fun is being as close to death as possible but not dying. Ya, it has gotten me pretty banged up in the past, fractured skull, broken all sorts of bones, road rash, chipped my tooth (that one really pissed me off because I have magnificently gorgeous teeth), etc...

Would I change a thing? HELL NO. I have lived a very happy and eventful life. You are living a death sentence. I know you cant see things my way...but I can see things your way, and let me tell you that it is just a bleak existence.

Now you go back and sit in your cubicle like a good boy. How you people live such boring, long, and mundane lives is beyond me. Where is the spice of you life?

You can try and convince yourself all you want that your way of life is great, and EVERYONE should live life like you do...but to be honest if I had to live your life I would slit my wrists and end the pain. Yes, the way you live your life would be far more painful than any physical pain I have endured.

*note*
This is not a personal attack on you OG, just my thoughts on life in general. Don't take this the wrong way man. :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts