Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am extremely pleased with how easy/quick it went.
Though, I remember the brakes being more responsive and less spongebob squarepants squishy than they are now. But the bike does stop. So thats good.

Thank you "Mr. sv650/s haynes service and repair manual" which I bought off amazon. wo0t.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The pads will need a little wear in time before they're really grippy. Have you changed the fluid lately?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pads will need a little wear in time before they're really grippy. Have you changed the fluid lately?
I had the service shop top it off a while ago. Still near the full line. But changed? Likely never, but definately not within the past 16k miles.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yikes. What color is it? I highly suggest you change out your fluid, it's most likely pretty dark and it should be almost perfectly see through.

·
Registered
375 Posts
BLEED YOUR BRAKES, until all fluid is replenished with new!

I promise you, your poor little SV will thank you for it!

Regards
Darryl

·
Registered
647 Posts
I did my pads a few weeks back. I put in some EBC HH pads and they still aren't broken in. I was going to actually break them in this weekend but the bike meet the pavement.

Definately bleed the brakes. Its very easy but its easy to get brake fluid all over.

·
Registered
317 Posts
any thoughts on the ebc hh? are they really that better than oem brakes? worth it?

i noticed better braking after bleeding/replenish brake fluid!!! do it ! it aint obvious to do but just take your time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Like I said I haven't really had a chance to properly brake them in or use them to get a good review. As the mileage goes up on them and they break in more, I love them more and more. They are touchier meaning you get the braking pressure right away. And I believe the braking power is very much higher on these pads. It was a very good investment in my opinion. Does anybody with more miles on these want to chime in?

·
Chief Greeter
29,017 Posts
any thoughts on the ebc hh? are they really that better than oem brakes? worth it?

i noticed better braking after bleeding/replenish brake fluid!!! do it ! it aint obvious to do but just take your time.
I bought rear brake pads at the suzi dealer where I got my bike, they gave me EBC pads instead of oem because they said they are better and they cost less. ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
i think i got ebc's with my brake lines from spears, they are called "extreme performance" and they were grippy pretty much right away, didn't notice any huge break in period. My rotors only had maybe 5500 miles on them at that time. My brakes are just a touch soft but the stopping power is excellent, if your stopping power is down with new pads for more than the first part of a ride you probabely need to bleed your brakes until the fluid that comes out of the bleeder is clean and new.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, now my front breaks squeek. How do I silence them?

·
Registered
237 Posts
They may squeak a little till they wear in, mostly at the end of the stopping.. Or, your calibers need to be cleaned.
Use Brake Cleaner to get some of the old brake dust off the workings..

They also say, never top off old fluid with new fluid. especially if the brake fluid is old.. the two fluids have different densities and do not mix well, which can cause pressure issues.

·
Registered
647 Posts
And like snowndirt said, don't mix the fluids. Whenever you got to bleed the rakes siphon out all the brake fluid from the resevoir or completely take it off and clean it. That way you know for sure you just getting new clean fluid in the lines.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
And like snowndirt said, don't mix the fluids. Whenever you got to bleed the rakes siphon out all the brake fluid from the resevoir or completely take it off and clean it. That way you know for sure you just getting new clean fluid in the lines.
You don't really need to do that. Gravity bleed works just fine. Open up the valve on the bottom and open up the resevoir up top...when the resevoir runs low fill up with clean brake fluid, keep repeating until the brake fluid is coming out clean at the bottom then close the valve, top off the resevoir and close it back up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts