Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 SV650s with 27,000km on it. I have put about 300km with out any problem and decided to change the oil because I don't know when it was done last. After doing this the clutch won't completely disengage. With the clutch to the grip it's still dragging but not completely engaged. I can start the bike but when I put it in first it stalls.

Any ideas?

Do you think that this may have been a problem before I bought the bike and the guy I bought it from put in automotive (car) oil to hide the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
OH NOES!!!one! Another oil thread! ;)

What oil did you put in? If you used a synthetic, that may be your problem. Synthetic can be "too slick" for mcycle clutches to work properly. Most folks 'round these parts seem to favor Shell Rotella T, a plain ol' dino oil (marketed for diesel engines.) I know that I've used it with good results in my '01 SV as well as an '86 VFR.

Also, have you adjusted your clutch (at the adjustment point under the front sprocket cover, not just at the lever)? I don't know if an oil change could cause a mal-adjusted clutch to start acting up, but checking the adjustment seems in order at this point. Instructions are in the owners manual, which can be downloaded for free (just use the search function -- I don't remember where to get it at the moment).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Once again, what oil did you use? You should not use any oil that show 'friction modifiers' or 'friction reducers' in the circle logo on the back of the bottle. If you want 'normal' (cheap) oil, you can use Castrol GTX 20w-50. If you want synthetic, you can use Mobl 1 15w-50. Both of the oils work well in wet clutch bikes. I use castrol during engine (top end) break-in. Otherwise I use mobil 1 in all my bikes, both dirt and street.

If the clutch worked well (you think) prior to purchase, then it should work well now. EXEPT - with that many KM the bike may be in need of a replacement. But, you do know how to adjust the clutch (once you have the correct oil in it), right?

Good Luck, and let us know what you find.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the Suzuki 10w40 from the dealership.

I'll check the clutch adjustment and let you know if that fixes anything.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the oil to me.

Your problem isn't that the clutch slips, it's that it will not fully engage, correct? If so, start by checking that your clutch is properly adjusted. Doi you have a service manual?

·
Registered
745 Posts
curial said:
With the clutch to the grip it's still dragging but not completely engaged. I can start the bike but when I put it in first it stalls.
Needs adjustment, however, it shouldn't be that bad. You would have noticed it before. As far as going dead in first. Flip the side stand up. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WeezerKDI said:
Needs adjustment, however, it shouldn't be that bad. You would have noticed it before. As far as going dead in first. Flip the side stand up.  ;)
Trust me, the stand is up.

It's not that the clutch is slipping. It that it won't come completely disengaged. When I pull in the clutch there is still resistance.
I tried adjusting it. I can adjust it so that there isn't much difference between the clutch being in and out but it still doesn't disengage.

I have no idea what could be wrong other then the clutch its self.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ok, I'm stumped. But, it doesn't take much to do that. It still shouldn't be an oil related problem and I don't know if it would be possible for the previous owner to mask problems by putting something in the oil or using a specific kind of oil. Were there any peices of clutch in your drain pan?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for the helluvit, can you restate the problem?

How do you know it's dragging?

When you shift to first (with the clutch still in) it dies. Does it lurch and stall, or just die? and does it do this at any rpm?

When you changed the oil you touched absolutely nothing (besides the oil drain, filler cap and filter?

Something doesn't add up here...

:)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WeezerKDI said:
Ok, I'm stumped. But, it doesn't take much to do that. It still shouldn't be an oil related problem and I don't know if it would be possible for the previous owner to mask problems by putting something in the oil or using a specific kind of oil. Were there any peices of clutch in your drain pan?
Nope, the oil was fairly clean and there was no metal shavings or chunks of clutch in the oil.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nc_sv650 said:
Just for the helluvit, can you restate the problem?

How do you know it's dragging?

When you shift to first (with the clutch still in) it dies. Does it lurch and stall, or just die? and does it do this at any rpm?

When you changed the oil you touched absolutely nothing (besides the oil drain, filler cap and filter?

Something doesn't add up here...

:)
Sure, the problem is that the clutch is always engaged (or partially engaged).

I can tell that it's dragging because with the bike off I put it in first, pull in the clutch and can feel resistance.
When I shift into first it jumps a little. I haven't tried it at higher rpm but I'll probably just break something if I do. It's like putting your bike into first with the clutch still in the friction zone.

All I did was change the oil. I didn't do anything else. Two days before I adjusted my chain but the bike worked flawlessly until I changed my oil.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, that's an odd one usually things happen the other way round -change the oil and it starts to slip. I don't know what else you can do at this point besides pop the clutch cover off and have a look around. Considering the mileage (kilometerage?) of your bike (27K km = ~17K mi) you might consider throwing a new clutch at it anyway. It shouldn't need it yet, but obviously something's AFU.

Sorry I can't help more.

:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
curial said:
I can tell that it's dragging because with the bike off I put it in first, pull in the clutch and can feel resistance.
When I shift into first it jumps a little. I haven't tried it at higher rpm but I'll probably just break something if I do. It's like putting your bike into first with the clutch still in the friction zone.
I think that a warped clutch disk or plate will cause what you are seeing. It seems odd that it started when you did an oil change though. That part doesn't make any sense. Now if you were out doing wheelies or burn-outs, then maybe. I really can't see how the oil could cause this.

If the clutch is dragging, then something is causing friction between the disks and plates in the clutch. I know some drag is normal on a wet-clutch engine, especially when it is cold. The oil is thicker and there is a hydraulic coupling between the disks and plates in the clutch. Still, I don't think it should be as severe as you are saying it is.

I guess I'm stumped too.

Did you check your oil level?

Perhaps another oil change with a different brand? I don't know, I'm out of ideas. Maybe start it and let the oil get nice and hot and see if it changes?

Let us know. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Mikemo (_noob_) ;D

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
+1 on adjustment. The adjustment under the front sprocket cover. Loosen the cable adjusters so there's plenty of slack. Under the front cover you will see a lever that the cable adjusts to with a lock nut around a slotted head like a screw. Loosen the lock nut and keep the wrench on it. With a screwdriver turn the slotted head clockwise until you feel resistance. Now turn the screwdriver counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Keep the screwdriver in the slot and tighten the lock nut. Now adjust the cables for 1/2" free play measured at the end of the clutch lever.

If this doesn't help then try changing the oil again to Rotella T 15W-40. It's cheap, about $5 per gallon.

If the clutch is still sticking then it's time to look at the plates. Do those first two steps first, they're cheap and easy. Post your results.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
a small amount of drag is not abnormal, does it go away at all as the oil warms up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1  On my GSXR1100 the clutch was very stubborn until it warmed up.  I'd start the bike and work the clutch several times until the bike warms up.  Then take off.  Might just need to get the oil flowing between the plates.  If it sat a while between starts or during the oil change this could be the problem.

Just a thought.

RandyO said:
a small amount of drag is not abnormal, does it go away at all as the oil warms up?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Too much oil can be a problem. Check the oil level per the manual. My bike does not lurch or snatch or anything else once warmed up. The RPMs don't drop at all when I pop it into gear cold.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same problem during my last oil change. All I had to do was let the bike heat up. It was almost as if the oil was gummed up or cold. Once my bike heated the clutch loosened up. Give it a try you never know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
are you checking the oil through the sight window with the bike upright, not leaning on the stand? just wondering too much oil? I dunno just a shot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts