Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got you looking at this post check it out.

I just decided to play around lowering my bike for the Drag strip....

I started out by getting dogbones to lower the rear....they are lite as He!! too.

This is the 'After' of what the rear looks like...

Now to the front... dropped in the triples and strapped.

Finished product...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
treoff said:
Why did you lower the rear?

And how much(Mine was a four inch drop)?
well that makes sense. i dropped mine an inch so i could get some more foot on the ground. 4 inches is much more drastic

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it is...

BTW did you raise the fork tubes in the triples to compensate?

D

·
0 Posts
sorry I was searching and had to resurect this thread, the bike looks sleek but I have a couple questions, what did you mean when you said "lowered in the tripples and strapped" I know what you ment my lowered in the tripples but I don't know what you meant by "strapped". Also I know you did it for the strip but have you taken it out on every day roads? If you did-did you have any clearance issues? Un-foreseen potholes ever create any problems for ya?
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
166 Posts
The straps are for dragstrip only, and it helps with lowering it more, otherwise, if he lowered it more, it would bottom out the forks, right? I never use straps, but my friends do. My bike lauches very hard even with out them!! 1 question though, does your hugger ever rub on the battery tray? Mine did when I lower mine 4 1/2, but I made my own links and now it sits about 3 1/2. I think it helps the ride too!! (no twistys around here where I live!!!)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dizzle said:
sorry I was searching and had to resurect this thread, the bike looks sleek but I have a couple questions, what did you mean when you said "lowered in the tripples and strapped" I know what you ment my lowered in the tripples but I don't know what you meant by "strapped". Also I know you did it for the strip but have you taken it out on every day roads? If you did-did you have any clearance issues? Un-foreseen potholes ever create any problems for ya?
Thanks for your time
Ok, as in Fig 1 you can see.....

Strapped = Tiedowns attached to the brake calipers that go over steering stem. They compress the front suspension for less ride height and no spring lift.

Stay off the street with a lowered bike, very dangerous. (bottoms, won't steer)

kully55 said:
The straps are for dragstrip only, and it helps with lowering it more, otherwise, if he lowered it more, it would bottom out the forks, right? I never use straps, but my friends do. My bike lauches very hard even with out them!! 1 question though, does your hugger ever rub on the battery tray? Mine did when I lower mine 4 1/2, but I made my own links and now it sits about 3 1/2. I think it helps the ride too!! (no twistys around here where I live!!!)
Check the Pic, I removed the battery box. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
did you remove the battery box completly? I just removed the tool box cubby hole thing and shaved as much as I could get away with on the battery box. I still rub if I wheelie it or lauch hard. I just gave up because it already scratch the hugger, and you can't see the scratches unless you are on your knees looking for it. Have you tried racing yet? If anything, your bike looks very nice!! ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sounds we made the exact same toolbox mod. Except I had to cut a big hole in the Bat. Box to fit my 636 shock :p

Yea I ran a couple times. Not anything really good yet, but I'm gettin better.

And thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
do you have any times to post from the dragstrip?? I know mine aren't the greatest, but it might be because of the alitude of nebraska, and the cool in morning and hot in the afternoon doesn't help my runs either. I'm still pushing low 12's, high 11's if I cut a good light. It's really strong on the street from stop light to stop light, makes zx6's work to keep up off the line. I raced a sv1000s today and barely got beat, but the air temp was awesome today!! How do you do on the street?? :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My best runs are 12.5 @ 106 Mph. Being 250lbs doesn't help, also my launch can use work.

As for on the street, I revert it back to stock so I can drop a knee.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
well if your really into drag racing, there is a feature that suzuki put in the SV and the GSX clutch to make it somewhat noobie friendly. Fix it and the bastard will launch hard. Trust me, I know since i never lost to a another sv650 at our local drag meet. NOw my friend is going to kill me for letting this secret out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
thanks, I'll check into!! My 60ft times are good, but my top end is...well... :-X. And far as turns and twisties....nebraska is flat & straight!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts