Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I had my first crash a couple of weeks ago. Here’s a little about the event.
I was riding in a group of about 10. This was my first time riding in a group. This was also my first time on this particular road.

The ride started just fine, was working my way through the turns. I came up on a sharp left turn immediately followed by a sharp right turn. The left turn was fine, but I couldn’t make it through the right turn. I was coming in way too hot. Ended up crossing the yellow line and running off into the ditch on the left side of the road. I’m not sure exactly how fast I was going. I feel like it was 40-45 mph. I got thrown over the top of the bike and slid a good ways. I couldn’t really see what was happening because it was really dry/dusty where I crashed so all I could really see was the dirt that was flying around my helmet. After I crashed, I stood up to dust myself off and check for missing body parts. Whew, I still had 10 fingers and no bones sticking out.

At this point I was pretty pissed, mainly because I had just finished putting a lot of money and time into the bike converting from S to N. One of my fellow riders helped me get the bike up and he did a quick check on it to see if it was still capable of running. There were no leaks and the bike seemed functional so I rode it to the next point to meet up with everybody and check in. By this time the adrenaline is starting to wear off and my shoulder is starting to hurt. I decided to call it a day at this point. One of the guys rides back with me to make sure I get home OK.

I didn’t call my wife after the accident because I didn’t want her to worry, so I decided the best course of action would be to show up and explain what happened in person. After the 2.5 hour ride back home, I pull into my back yard all covered in Alabama red clay dust/dirt/leaves/sticks and other crap and my wife meets me at the back door with this terrified look on her face. I reach down and pull out my keys. I then proceed to pull off my helmet and I make a point to smile at her and reassure her that everything’s OK. So after explaining what happened, I suggested we go to the ER just to check out my shoulder.

Well, after a couple of hours at the ER, I get the news that my clavicle is broken. Hmmm, I figured it would have hurt more than that, but… anyway. The ER staff seemed to be more concerned with the fact that I didn’t report my accident than determining my health. They seemed to have a distaste for motorcycle riders in general even though I was very pleasant and even got the nurses to laugh at a few of my jokes. I found that odd.

I was wearing most of my gear (leather jacket with armor, Sidi boots, leather gloves with armor, full face HJC helmet, but I wasn’t wearing my leather pants). All the leather held up extremely well. Cortech Latigo jacket is dirty and has a little scuff on the plastic shoulder armor, but is otherwise perfectly fine. My Icon leather gloves with armor are just dirty, they didn’t tear. I even think they prevented my left index finger from being fractured. My Sidi boots worked perfectly even though they filled up with what felt like a pound of dirt. My HJC modular helmet faired pretty well. It had a couple of deep scuffs on the top, but most of the sliding took place on my face shield. I think the helmet would still work, but I’ll probably replace it anyway.

Well, I had surgery 2 days ago. They put a plate on my right clavicle with a few screws. Superglued the wound closed and now I’m relaxing with a Percocet and a coke ;D, but I am typing this with both arms so I’m happy. Hopefully, I’ll be able to resume normal activities in just a few weeks, but I’ll do whatever the doctor suggests.

BOTTOM LINE:

Here’s what I felt I did wrong:
1) I broke a personal rule of riding aggressively on an unfamiliar rode. I should have slowly investigated the road first.
2) I was more concerned with keeping up with the pack than trying to ride within my abilities.

Here’s the damage to my body:
1) Broken right clavicle
2) Little scrape on the top on my right wrist.
3) Bruise on inside of right ear. (I was wearing Shure earbuds)
4) Bit my tongue. (This hurt worse than anything)
5) Bruised ego. (probably a good thing though)

Here’s the damage to the bike:
1) Broken rear brake lever
2) Broken left front foot peg
3) Rashed-up clutch and brake lever
4) Bent radiator (still works though)
5) Broken vapor gauge with dashboard
6) Bar end mirrors vaporized
7) Scuffed-up motosliders (which worked perfectly)
8.) Cracked tail fairings
9) Dented gas tank

I'm gonna get healed up, then I'll fix the bike. I'm reconsidering riding in a group again...may just stick to the track. Be safe out there everybody.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I prefer to ride alone or a small group 6 or less. Don't discourage yourself from riding in a group again. Just maybe a smaller group and ride at a slower pace. Don't play catch up. If the lead riders aren't willing to wait then they aren't worth riding with again. Heal up man, take it easy! Don't ride over your head, keep a nice pace and enjoy it, don't think your trying to race out there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Riding the twisties in groups can be more challenging than riding on the track. You're not going to have sight through most turns so it's hard to judge them correctly on an unfamiliar route where you need your eyes further along the road.

I started out this season riding in groups a lot and it had been 5 years since I last rode, so I understand how that pressure feels. I would encourage you to ride with your buddies again when everything is fixed. After recovering (healing and repairing the bike) from a spill like this, it may become easier to fight that urge to keep up when it means pushing your limit. Also most leaders will wait up for the last guy when turning onto a different road. Anyways, you'll find when you have a small group of friends who meet up on weekends to ride for a day it's a lot of fun as long as everyone is safe.

Also, everyone who rides in groups has done this. I wrecked on my first group ride with some guys from this board, and for a while I was known as the guy with the bungee'd SV. So don't feel too embarrassed or discouraged over it. Feel better and good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One big issue here is what actually happened when you crashed? You said you couldn't make it through the right turn. Do you think the bike actually ran out of room? Or did you panic and try to stand it up to stop?

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Seriously WTF would you report an accident in which there was no other property damage other than yours and no one was hurt but yourself. Yeah let's report that so insurance can know about it, that's special.

Heal up fast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seriously WTF would you report an accident in which there was no other property damage other than yours and no one was hurt but yourself. Yeah let's report that so insurance can know about it, that's special.

Heal up fast.
:lmao: They know they can talk you into any little thing they can make money on when insurance is on the hook.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One big issue here is what actually happened when you crashed? You said you couldn't make it through the right turn. Do you think the bike actually ran out of room? Or did you panic and try to stand it up to stop?
Both. I came in way too hot trying to catch up and then i started to panic when I realized I didn't have enough room. After the crash, the guys were like "yeah, we probably should have warned you about that turn. I think half of us have crashed there at some point in time."

Heal up fast.
When I told the nurse how I hurt myself, she asked me if I reported the accident. When I told her "no", she turned and looked me right in the eyes and said, "you're supposed to report ANY accident to the police". I could see my wife mouthing the word "b1tch". I thought I was gonna have to hobble over there and hold her back with my good arm.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Heal fast. Glad it wasn't worse. I'd agree with your basic conclusions.

It sounds like you outran your sightlines due to misplaced priorties riding with a group. (Which is pretty much what you said.)

Suggestions?

David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling for re-evaluation of sightlines, judgement, and group riding. Also Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques. One other thought to consider (no response requested) - Did you run out of bike or run out of skill?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I prefer to ride alone or a small group 6 or less. Don't discourage yourself from riding in a group again. Just maybe a smaller group and ride at a slower pace. Don't play catch up. If the lead riders aren't willing to wait then they aren't worth riding with again. Heal up man, take it easy! Don't ride over your head, keep a nice pace and enjoy it, don't think your trying to race out there.
+1. I stick to groups under 10 otherwise split the group up in smaller groups. I like to have a little gap between myself and others especially in the twisties and bigger groups can become spread out quite a bit doing that.

When I told her "no", she turned and looked me right in the eyes and said, "you're supposed to report ANY accident to the police". I could see my wife mouthing the word "b1tch". I thought I was gonna have to hobble over there and hold her back with my good arm.
Key words are supposed to. I wouldn't have reported it either unless I needed medical attention. I've heard of people even going tothe ER and saying they had a bad bicycle accident to prevent any problems. I'm sure thats not 100% legal but it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I fell down some stairs!!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Glad you came thru relatively unscathed. My first accident, I, too broke my clavicle (left collar bone). It didn't hurt when I was on the V-Strom, only hurt when I wasn't on the bike. Went to the hospital after I rode 90 miles back to my hotel, but they didn't catch my broken clavicle until the Dr looked at the X-ray the next day. They then called my house and left a message so I didn't know I had broken anything (other than the pain/ache) until I rode back home the following Sunday and 570 + miles later.

+1 to your Wife for getting angry at the nurse. Most places the law only requires reporting of an accident if there is significant property damage or injury, which you didn't know until you went top the ER/hospital. In the nurse's defense, she may have been concerned about internal injuries such as a ruptured spleen that could be fatal w/o obvious external signs of injury, in which case not getting on-scene emergency treatment could lead to much worse problems.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Heal up fast.
Because in some states , it's illegal to leave the scene of an accident if anybody is injured .......like N.Y.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I fell down some stairs!!
Hope you were ATGATT!

AlabamaSv: Heal up, sorry to hear about your accident. Group riding can be tough. You really have to know your limits and stick to them. Riding with a group that's good to ride with (waits for you, doesn't pressure you to ride faster) can actually be a lot of fun.

Hope you get back on your bike soon! :)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Because in some states , it's illegal to leave the scene of an accident if anybody is injured .......like N.Y.
Even if the injured is YOU? Nah.

If you had reported it, the only thing the police would have done in this case is write you a ticket.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Glad you're ok, also glad to see you made observations about your crash. I almost had the same crash years ago, for the same two reasons.

Cut the nurse a little bit of slack guys, if she doesn't tell him to report it, she could potentially be in trouble. Also, a broken clavicle could be a motorcycle accident, or it could be domestic violence. She's probably used to seeing MC riders in much worse shape, and way less talkative. I'd have a hard time believing you were thrown from your bike, broke *ONLY* your collarbone, and then rode for over three hours on it if I hadn't seen some similar stuff in the past.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts