Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background info first.
I bought the bike, an 00 SV650S, years ago in Hawaii before moving to Texas. I was going back regularly so I left it there to ride and let my GF learn on. It was lowered already with a shaved seat so it was a good learner. It's stock height and has a regular seat now. Well, we split up and it sat for a while before I got it shipped to San Diego. It didn't run right but I was to go off to five months of school so it sat some more. Back home I wanted to get it to run right. I played with the fuel screw, added a shim to the needle. I forgot to mention, it has a slip-on pipe. No progress. Then I read about the valve on the carbs that gets gummed up. Cleaned that out, still back fired. Finally I took them off and broke them down completely, set the screws to 2.5 turns out and one shim on each needle. Back together, started right up and ran great. I wanted to kick myself since my initial instinct was to break them down completely in the first place.

It's my project bike. It got dropped a few times when my ex was learning to ride so I pulled off the fairings and put on a set of bar-end mirrors, bug eye lights, and a vaypor dash. It's my around town bike and it's perfect for that. For now.

I have a fox racing shock from a 636 and race tech springs and emulators in the forks. Braided lines are coming soon and I'd like to take it to the track soon. Oh how I miss the track.....

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I cleaned, jetted, shimmed and adjusted my A/F screw 2.5 and I still get back firing. I may pull them off again just to see if something got plugged up or something else. Even with a new air filter and plugs the bike won't start cold with out the choke now.

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cleaned, jetted, shimmed and adjusted my A/F screw 2.5 and I still get back firing. I may pull them off again just to see if something got plugged up or something else. Even with a new air filter and plugs the bike won't start cold with out the choke now.

:)

leak somewhere? vacuum line maybe. Check the boots ( right term?) between the carb and engine. After you did all of that how did you sync the carbs?

I know mine are a bit off but **** close. I will likely get flamed for this but it worked (mostly). Looking at the bottom of the carbs you can see the butterfly and some ports on the intake wall. I adjusted my sync screw until they looked the same using the ports for reference. This is NOT a replacement for using proper tools and techniques but it got me **** close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts