Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys... suggest a place i can get some hyperwhites or something like that for my sv. Its a 2k5 svs. I need them, man i cant see at night... they arent bad... but they could be better!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i don't know about bikes but be carefull on which you pick. Some bulbs run high wattage that melts the connectors.

·
Registered
213 Posts
be careful of the HID-Look lights. They don't actually put out any more Lumens and just burn out quicker because of the blueish tint they put on them...only to have to run hotter and burn out quicker.

If u want something that works well grab Osram Silverstar bulbs. (Not the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs u find in autoparts stores) They can be ordered online and are a europeon spec bulb. Good luck.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I went to Sylvania Silverstar bulbs on my SV. Love them, whiter light and brighter to boot. Street legal unlike some of the "blue" bulbs. You can get them at your local auto parts store today!

·
Registered
684 Posts
ive researched the topic ALOT. and as far as "bang for your buck" sylvania silverstars are the best to go with. osram silverstars are the best but hard to get. all others suck bad. especially piaa's they are good for light output but dont last at all

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
I went to Sylvania Silverstar bulbs on my SV.  Love them, whiter light and brighter to boot.  Street legal unlike some of the "blue" bulbs.  You can get them at your local auto parts store today!
just make sure that you get the individual packaged silverstar for motorcycle use, and not pair of cage bulbs

·
Registered
105 Posts
I too have the sylvania silverstars in mine and love them. I think next time I will put in the PIAA xtreme white bulbs in. I have them on my 4runner and love them!!! Just because some bulbs are brighter doesnt mean the have that much of a shorter life. The big thing that most people dont pay attention to is when installing the bulbs....DO NOT touch the glass part of the bulb. The oils from your skin shortens the life of it. Ive had mine for several years with no complaints

·
Registered
684 Posts
just make sure that you get the individual packaged silverstar for motorcycle use, and not pair of cage bulbs
whats the difference?

·
Registered
213 Posts
All I know is the Sylvania Silverstars have a blue coating on them in the US to better attract kids in the US wanting the HID-look/whiter light. But with that coating they have to run the bulb hotter to get the same amout of lumens out of it, thus it burns out quicker. I've looked it up b4, comparing the Osram with the Silverstar....google it for yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
I went to Sylvania Silverstar bulbs on my SV.  Love them, whiter light and brighter to boot.  Street legal unlike some of the "blue" bulbs.  You can get them at your local auto parts store today!
+1...they are great bulbs~!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
+1 on silverstars. These things are magnificently white and look like cheapo-HID if you had a grounding kit.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
OK.... I am confused..... I have a Ostram Sylvania silverstar that I bought at an auto parts store, it does not have a blueish tint, I can't find any Ostram silverstar that is different than a sylvania silverstar other than ones that are made for cages vs motorcycles

the bulb I bought was packaged "for motorcycle use only"

steer me to where I can find a "european spec" silverstar

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Bster13 said:
Osrams = sold in Europe, no blue ting, last longer, more lumens, gotta buy them online or ebay.
Silverstars = sold in US to racerboy faction. Blue tint. Burn out quicker.

Both probably better than stock.
hmm, I have silverstars in my car and they dont have blue tint and I bought them at the local autoparts store.. and to be honest, they arent all that much brighter than the stock lights that were in my car... I think they're over-rated honestly.

a few months back, there was a thread about the PIAA bulbs.. those are supposed to be pretty good.

I've never had issues with the lights on my 03 s model not being bright enough... especially with the brights on.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Bster13 said:
Osrams = sold in Europe, no blue ting, last longer, more lumens, gotta buy them online or ebay.
Silverstars = sold in US to racerboy faction.  Blue tint.  Burn out quicker.

Both probably better than stock.
like I said, the ones I bought are not blue tint, bought it at my local VIP auto parts store
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/default.htm

I think maybe Mr Daniel Stern is out of date and needs to update his website

·
Registered
213 Posts
From Sylvania's website:

"3. What?s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?
The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have a high tech amethyst blue coating to help give the whiter light appearance. The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light, making it more like the SYLVANIA (US) XtraVision product line. Both bulbs offer greater luminance (increased brightness). "

The coating on the North American Sylvania Silverstar is faint, but I do believe it's there. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ok, I found my way to the faq page, reciting only one of the questions is misleading

Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is SilverStar HID (High Intensity Discharge) lighting?
SilverStar is not HID lighting. SilverStar is a halogen headlight that gives you the look (the closest color temperature and the brightest light) of HID lighting at a fraction of the cost of HID lighting.

2. What is the life expectancy of SilverStar?
The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the driver?s use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen lights to have a life span of up to one year under average driving conditions.

3. What?s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?
The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have a high tech amethyst blue coating to help give the whiter light appearance. The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light, making it more like the SYLVANIA (US) XtraVision product line. Both bulbs offer greater luminance (increased brightness).

4. What?s the difference between SilverStar and Cool Blue?
SilverStar is a brighter (increased luminance) bulb and a whiter (~4000K vs. ~3500K) bulb than Cool Blue. SilverStar halogen is a performance halogen product line that provides a look that is closest to the color of HID with a high color temperature at 4000K and a crisp, white light. SilverStar puts more usable light into the foreground, making both the roadway and shoulder easier to see.

5. Will the higher color temperature cause heat damage?
No. The high color temperature of these bulbs is in reference to the light spectrum, not the heat being generated by the bulb. The heat generated by a bulb is referred to as wattage. All SilverStar bulbs are legal and approved for on road use.

6. When will straight base configurations be available?
SilverStar 9006 straight base (9006 XS ST) is available and the 9005 straight base (9005XS ST) should be available later this year.

7. Do I need a ballast to operate SilverStars in my car?
No. SilverStar is a "plug and play" replacement halogen capsule or sealed beam to upgrade the performance of your headlights. SilverStar does not require a ballast or any special wiring.

8. How do your lamps compare to the competition?
Internal testing shows SilverStar outperforming the competition for legal use. SilverStar offers the highest performing halogen on the market, that meet all regulatory standards both in the U.S. and Canada.

9. Do you have product specifications on your website?
We have updated our product catalog, which provides specifications for all of our products including voltage, amperage, wattage, lumens and etc. Learn more...

10. What kind of warranty do you offer on your ST?
We stand behind our products 100%. Satisfaction guaranteed. Please contact our Customer Service department at 800-729-3777 Monday through Thursday 8am-7pm EST and Friday/Saturday 8am-5pm EST if you have any questions or a specific product concern. We welcome your feedback.

11. What does it mean to be 100% Street Legal?
Our products are designed within the limits of wattage, color, light output (lumens) and are of the highest quality that are placed in the industry by the government. Learn more about the laws.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts