Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to order these 3-4 weeks ago directly from Hyperplate but they were on back order. I asked them to email me when they were available. I received an email Monday, Sept. 15th, from Alex that they were in stock. I placed the order directly at http://www.hyperplates.com/ for $102.00 and received them 3 days later. These plates are hard-anodized aluminum plates and all 6 plates weighed 4.6 ounces. THe 6 stock plates weight 13 ounces.
Installation took an hour and I used a new Suzuki o-ring on the clutch cover.
I reused the original friction plates. They were within spec. There is definitely a difference between the first friction plate (the one that goes in first) and the outer 6 friction plates.
After a 40-mile ride this evening some observations:
Engine spools up a little faster and an improvement in acceleration. Shifting seems smoother but I am not sure why other than the old plates were blued and maybe a little warped. Overall, I am pleased with the upgrade. Installation was quick, and there is a small improvement in acceleration. I will be at a track day in a couple of days and see how they perform there.
I dug through reviews on the plates on other forums. All the reviews were good with the exception of one, and that one was obviously written by a moron with no command of the English language or tools.
The purpose of this modification was to shed a bit more weight. The weight savings will come close to a pound, probably 12-14 oz. of rotating engine weight.
Pictures:
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/movidpro/2001 SV650 PIctures/Hyperplates clutch plates/

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Lighter clutches, lighter flywheels, all will get the engine spinning up faster. The only down side is that you have less inertia on take off. So for riders who do a lot of stop and go a lighter rotating mass may feel sluggish and weak. On the run light is generally good.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I've got a set of these in the garage to fit some time... I was going to do my big service tonight but it turns out I'm too lazy. They were very cheap though, got them in a closing sale along with a set of friction plates. Much easier than a lightened flywheel or generator...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Oooooh, I forgot about this thread. I've got a couple of thousand miles on mine, I did have a slip issue for a while (couldn't find a sweet spot between clutch-in drag and high-power slip) but that's all resolved. There's a small difference in pick-up and a small decrease in ease of launching at lower revs, but nothing dramatic either way. Fairly pain free mod but nothing lifechanging.

Having said all that, I fitted them in a fairly horrible wet week so I spent the next few hundred miles mincing about... So it's possible that by the time it got dry enough to test it properly I'd already started to get used to the change.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A thousand street miles and 3 track days and no problem. I am ordering a set for my ZX10R.

·
Registered
799 Posts
A thousand street miles and 3 track days and no problem. I am ordering a set for my ZX10R.
I have been beating on my for years, also using slipper clutch. never had problem with this plates.
before you put them in make sure they are flat. they are aluminum and bend easy with improper handling. once I got pack in mail and one was bent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.