Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home from work yesterday and spotted one of those new Hyosung Comets. I was with my wife since she has been driving me to work since my foot got mangled by Bambi. I asked her to pull into the gas station where he was filling up but she said no and kept on going. I wanted to talk to the guy and see how he liked the bike.

For those of you who don't know what this bike is, it's an SV clone made by Hyousung in China. This bike has been discussed on here in the recent past. It was bright red like a Ducati. I actually thought it was a Duc at first glance.

Has anyone else seen any of these bikes out on the road yet?

·
Registered
37 Posts
a friend of mine bought the 205 Comet against everyone's advice. I've ridden it a couple times and have really nothing positive to say about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My husband's co-worker has one, and so far it has been giving him trouble. He has to take it to the shop atleast once a month. Something always goes wrong with it. Last month the dealer had it for about 3 weeks. He just got the bike in June and is not happy with it at all. Close up the bike looks really cheap, not made very well. I am not a fan.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was with my wife since she has been driving me to work since my foot got mangled by Bambi. I asked her to pull into the gas station where he was filling up but she said no and kept on going.
Forget the Koreans, the above is what concerns me. Seems like your wife is still harboring some resentment over your escapade with Bambi. Ignoring your commands is bad enough, but having affairs with bimbos named Bambi can result in even worse mutiny. Change your ways, brother, before you lose total control.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've seen one or two on the road. I know a scooter dealer that looked into selling them... I don't know why he didn't.

The steel frame and damper rod forks kinda kill it for me. If they're gonna be USD you'd think they'd put some cartridges in there?!?!?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Randy S said:
Forget the Koreans, the above is what concerns me. Seems like your wife is still harboring some resentment over your escapade with Bambi. Ignoring your commands is bad enough, but having affairs with bimbos named Bambi can result in even worse mutiny. Change your ways, brother, before you lose total control.
Bwuhahahaha!!! Too funny Randy S.
No, I haven't seen NE in person yet- I would like to demo one though.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Ivan said:
Give the Koreans a few years and then they will be making the best bikes like the way Hyundai is the most reliable car manufacturer in the world according to Consumer Reports...
Also keep in mind that Hyosung was until very recently a major vendor for Suzuki. IIRC, the split occurred because Hyosung was looking to spread out a little and Suzuki was contractually holding them back. I also think they are already a well established scooter manufacturer in S.E.Asia and are just starting to move up to the larger bikes. They will have definite growing pains in the beginning, but five years or so from now and they may be a company to be taken seriously. Who knows, if they are smart, they may exploit the lack of under 600 cc commuter bikes in North America to get their foothold...

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
avc8130 said:
Is Hyosung traded on the stock market?
Hyosung is a chaebol or group of companies (sort of a conglomerate, but not exactly) originally with related family ownership. The chaebols were modeled after the pre-war Japanese zaibatsu and were a mechanish favored by the first post-WWII Korean government to develop domestic industries (Korea had been a complete economic colony of Japan for the 50 or so years preceding WWII)
Hyosung, which has metal trading, textile and manufacturing companies, is publicly traded on the Korean exchange. Iit has gained strength recently while others (e.g. Daewoo) went flat in the past decade. I don't know if there are ADRs available. Ask your broker.

http://www.hyosung.com/eng/index.jsp

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I threw a leg over one in Rhode Island. Not too bad but the build quality doesn't match the sv. They have big clunky looking triple and the instrument panel looks quite cheap. At first glance it was the usd forks that made me pull my rent car into the lot but then I heard they were just poser shocks and I lost interest. ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Northwind said:
Because it's a totally different biek from the ground up, really. It "just happens" to have a lot of similiarities, but there's not really any direct copying.
I dunno about that. Even if it were, if all this had happend inside this country they'd be sued off the market. Basically if its similar enough that the general public would confuse it for the SV, which I think is very likely, Suzuki would have a very stong case against Hyosung.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.