Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I have been thinking back to the old racing days when people put FZR 600 engines into 400 chassis, or GSXR 1100 engines into 750's and so on and wondered - Why not put a SV engine into a GSXR600?

Back in the day it was done becasue for power to weight and handling, now and days I assume you dont see these swaps as the bigger engined machines have better handling.

Recently we have seen the CR500 engined SV....

I recently posted up a picture of a GSXR chassis with a RG500 engine....

TL engines into one off flat trackers....

So why not a SV engine into a GSXR? If I had the money, I would give it a go. Alas, I do not!

Here is a video I came across via another forum that prompted me to finally pose my question here.

The DuZuki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI41vZVkj2I&NR=1

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Doesn't seem like there'd be that much to gain IMHO. How much lighter/stronger are you gonna be with a GSXR frame?

Seems to me like an SV with nice suspenders (nice aftermarket shock, and a well set-up Gixxer front end) would be just as light, fast, and strong as a Gixxer with an SV mill.

That being said, you did some sick work with your SV, so the resulting Franken-bike would no doubt be awesome. So...go for it!

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Wouldnt it make more sense to try fitting a SV1k engine into a 600 frame? That would kinda be like a Suzuki version of the RC51.
You mean TL1000 motor. Stock they have a lot more power than the sv1k motor and with a big bore kit you can push 160+ hp out of the TL power plant.

JP, You buy a rolling chassis GSXR ( 06+ ) and I'll take out my TL motor.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
What's supposed to be the benefit in this case? The SV chassis is already pretty awesome, and you can fit SS fairings to it if that's what you like. As you well know the suspension can be improved a lot, too.

Now, if you were talking about putting an SV650 motor into an RMZ450 frame and giving it the MonoGP treatment, you would have my full attention. :) Or an SXV5.5 - to have that styling, light weight, and great suspension without the finnicky Italian motor (like the Duzi you posted) would be pretty special.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
If you want this to make any sense at all, put a SV engine in a ninja 250. -It should be the right width.
I think the idea would be to get a SS chassis, not a chassis worse than the SV.

and the Ducati with a TL motor is tits.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That seems like a pretty cool ideal, I don't know if the end result would be much of an improvment over either of the originals.

Is the SV's motor strong enough that you could use it to support a minimal frame set up like the HP2 sport?

I'm sure I'm over simplifing the whole process but if you had the tools and the welding skills would it be possible to replicate The HP2's frame to fit the SV motor? You would still have to come up with swing arm and suspension options but I don't think it would be impossible

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Is the SV's motor strong enough that you could use it to support a minimal frame set up like the HP2 sport?
Yes, almost any motor is strong enough to be used as a stressed member.

Here's a superlight special from some French dudes, using the SV650 motor:

Veloce Project

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I just don't understand why would one put in a lower hp engine into a frame that originally had a higher hp engine to begin with.

You referenced the old racing days. All your examples of when these swaps were common was by putting a higher hp engine into a smaller lighter frame.

If that's the case, then an SV1k engine into a 650 frame would make sense. Yes it's possible with alot of cutting and welding.

Someone on the Z forum put in a ZX10R engine onto his Z. Definitely not a direct swap and alot of new brackets were made. Will soon be featured in a few mags.

What I do understand is the creativity point of view, but when looking at a gsxr frame with an SV engine, I would still ask myself why.

Possible swaps if I was Jay Leno rich:

1098 engine into a 650 frame
XB12 into a 650 frame
112 s&s into a 650 frame

SV650 engine into ninja 250
" " " into a aprilia rs125

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It could even be a TL or SV1K engine. It is just the concept of it. Face it, the SV chassis might be able to be made workable, but it isnt as refined or stiff or tunable as a SS chassis without either major modification or major money thrown at it. I am not hypothesizing that the concept would be The Fastest Motorcycle On The Planet, I just think it would be a cool project to see 'what if' Suzuki did a SS Twin. Thanks for the replies guys, keep em comin.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
all old people think this way (back in my day;)), what makes all those work is they all are the same types of motors, a twin motor doesn't swap well into a 4 frame, the point of doing the old swaps is weight, a 100 compared to a 600 is 20 lbs

the 08 1000 Dry Weight (lbs): 379
the 08 600 Dry Weight (lbs): 359

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
It could even be a TL or SV1K engine. It is just the concept of it. Face it, the SV chassis might be able to be made workable, but it isnt as refined or stiff or tunable as a SS chassis without either major modification or major money thrown at it. I am not hypothesizing that the concept would be The Fastest Motorcycle On The Planet, I just think it would be a cool project to see 'what if' Suzuki did a SS Twin. Thanks for the replies guys, keep em comin.
Fck suzuki.

Let's do it ourselves.

ETRACING! hahaha

TLR motor in a 09 GSXR chassis or 08-09 cbr1000rr chassis would be a dream come true!

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
all old people think this way (back in my day;)), what makes all those work is they all are the same types of motors, a twin motor doesn't swap well into a 4 frame, the point of doing the old swaps is weight, a 100 compared to a 600 is 20 lbs

the 08 1000 Dry Weight (lbs): 379
the 08 600 Dry Weight (lbs): 359
Thanks Captain Obvious, I know why it was a common swap back in the olden times. Sure it is a different type of engine, but fitting a narrower profile twin into the space of an I4 shouldnt be too hard. Trying to retrofit a GSXR600 engine into a SV frame on the other hand might require some more work.

1 - 20 of 322 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.