Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody make a hugger that does not have a chain gaurd???

·
Registered
72 Posts
what's a chian guard? ;)

the ace carbon fibber one for the 1st gen SV doesn't have a chain guard, i think. but ace stuff is getting hard to find, i got from a guy at kneedraggers that they went under. doh!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The pyramid I am familiar with has a chain guard ... this is from Holeshot:

How would a non-chain guard hugger be attached?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really know but there is that bolt hole from that little plastic flap in the swing arm just ahead of the wheel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Pryamid Plastics for the 99-02 does not have a chainguard and I would not call it garbage just because it mounts with zipties. It attaches quite well and you can't see how it is fastened.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Me neither... It's more solidly built than the Skidmaxz item it replaced on mine, well finished (as Pyramids stuff usually is), looks neat on the bike and the cable ties are more or less out of sight. The hugger has a little tail that sticks out the bottom too, which helps keep rear wheel fling off the sock linkages (and looks good) You can work up a more permanent fixing- you could easily reinforce it a little where it meets the swingarm, drill a hole and mount it off the stock flap's bolt hole- but there's really not much benefit.

It's a small price to pay for not having a hugger that looks like a dustbin :) Also, having seen the damage a breaking chain can do do a squishy human I'd sooner have a metal chain guard than a bit of fibreglass- though that's as much paranoia as anything else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what does a hugger do anyways?
Is it purely cosmetic? Is it a mudflap (if that's the case, I don't see how it would work very well, it's cut too far back...)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Keeps the crap off of your rear shock.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
True. But that doesn't keep MANY people from insisting it will keep water and road crap off your back ::)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
:'( :'( WWAAAHHHH! I want my snow shovel back! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts